Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Have you seen this man ?

Hey, this is the man that pointed me to FU III in the first place!OK, could we get a collage showing Ansgar, Agtim and all of the current developers instead? :-)Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

It's not Peter James, is it? I sort of imagined him to be older, possibly with glasses, balding etc :-lolJudging by the comments I've seen around over the years, he wasn't all that popular amongst the developers, even when things were OK at LGS. Apparently, he used to go through people's work and harshly criticise them if he disagred with their approach. This led to an apparent obsession with building 'perfect' 3D models. Those of us fortunate(!!?!) enough to use BSP.exe would have seen some of the error messages like 'James is a weiner' or 'Peter, oh no' etc Apparently, he also had a dislike for developers who 'broke the rules' and added their own comments. The words 'kill' or 'killing' appear too often in error messages to be just coincidence. I think the 'cloud man' may have been someone's way of getting 'their own back'. Maybe he's a real nice guy though he hasn't done anything to dispell the rumours!Anyway, I'm all for the new cloud models and if I can help with models or texturing in any way, please let me know. I'd love to know how they are modelled and textured anyway because I have some interesting thoughts on how we might make them better. I'd rather have the clouds 'sit there', with outer, semi-transparent layers over a more solid core. This would give a more realistic effect, especially if you fly close, but not through a cloud. At the moment, whilst flying past a cloud, it sometimes just 'fluffs out' in front of you and disappears - other times it just suddenly goes white...I know they move, but can we animate them at all? Are any FU3 'axle' calls applicable?Sorry for the heap of questions but, having thrown the Dash-8 shackles off finally, I've been looking at the sky for inspiration...As to the collage, why don't we do our own 'Mt Rushmore'? It would simply be a (rather large) scenery model that we could drape over a mountainside, maybe on the eastern slopes near OT (behind Ranger or Easton). I've had similar thoughts to doing a hi-res model of Mt Rainier if I can get photos of the whole mountain, not just the western side. We wouldn't need more polygons than a stationary aircraft as it's mostly the textures that need improving. No more yellow snow - and a real treeline with real trees... ;) Whaddayathink?:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

I would think that the face in the cloud goes with the easter eggs and strange comments found hidden at all levels. While looking through / repalettizing models I found a "fun house". Most of you oldtimers probably know it -- it's a strange green building with some kind of rocket on top of the roof. Then we have the bigfoot, the UFO, pyramids etc. The idea might be to make an unexpected joke appear every now and then. The developers also jested at each other and had fun placing hidden codes, a practice not uncommon among geeks. Another idea might be to develop the sim along two lines. One might make it into a serious flight simulator or a hilarious game with all kinds of strange objects. One could easily create a fantasy airport package were everthing's totally weird. Who made sheep with rubber boots (I believe it's called "wellies" in the UK South region)?I prefer to strive for realism but an occasional laugh doesn't hurt :-)Hans Petter

Guest cornclose

On the subject of faces, I found this one burried in sky.res too.http://website.lineone.net/~flightsimuk/Pr...s/Temp/face.jpgHas anyone actually seen this one used in the weather engine ? Yes this really is a texture from sky.res. If so, it can be replaced by a 'proper' cloud. If not, it's an example of how there are textures in there which are not used.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,Whatever it is, get rid of it. I would prefer a "normal" cloud.By the way, will you be able to develop "puffy" clouds ? In other words, can FU3 cope with clouds that have "holes" in them, or more loosely defined edges ? It would be nice to be able to see the ground between parts of the same cloud, rather than just disappear into a "wall of white".Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Hans,Add the line "extra_airports" to your cfg. file, Use a float Plane look for Gilpins Cove, You'll find the fun househttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/17717.jpgIf you'd like the other fun and wild part of FU3 send me a note, Most of my stuff is in Hennies last package, But I could send you the Airport ID's if needed,You might see a speed boat race once in awhile :-lolhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/17719.jpgHave Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest cornclose

Possibly, but only by changing the texture that makes up the cumulus cloud type, which I have found already and am now experimenting with this first.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Hi GuysWhat on earth are you lot talking about!!!!*:-*