Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

UK Models in 3DS

Guest andy9164

Model Developers,I have recently come across the following websitehttp://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/public/download.htmPlease have a look at the models, particularly, Buckinham Palace.I have been in contact with the site and he is willing to share his love of 3d modelling by supplying the original files and textures in 3ds format. Is this any good, can they be used. He mentioned something about Gmax?? Sorry, dont know if I am on the right track, but just remember seeing that somepeople use 3DS for their modelling so thought I would give it a try. He can also supply in obj and wrl formats as well.Means nothing to me but if you can use let me know and I will send them on.Andy

Guest glidernut

Andy,This sight will not let me dounlowd stuf in the normal way.It insists I install there "Viewpoint Media Player" first.I am very wherery of instaling anything that I no nuthing about.And hav no need of.I suspect this to be a roge sight.I suspect a rat.Until sumone explans to me that tis all right,I erge corshon.glidernut.:-boom

Guest andy9164

John,Its a good site. I have spoken with the contact at the site and the reason is the site was a project that was run in 99 and has not been kept up to date. I have downloaded the viewer and no problems so do not worry.(although dont kick me if it gives you hassle)You cannot actually download the models, which is why I have spoken to them, and he will send them if we can use them. Click on the Buckingham Palce one at the 2nd from the left at the bottom. Once you can view, click an hold the left mouse key to move around the model and the right mouse key to zoom ina and out, a bit like Modelview.Dont know if they will be useable, but always on the lookout.Andy

Guest glidernut

Andy,Yes, Iv just downloaded the viewer and it seems OK.Just bifor doing so, I created a system restore point, "just incase".This is a safty feecher of my windows-XP.But in the avent, it wasant needed.Forgiv me, Im always a bit suspishes of things I dont understand.As to the models, well I dont know what to make of them.The bigest problem is geting the models from what ever format thayare in into FU3.You hav to use them dreded dos programs.I hate dos, and dos hates me, and my PC.lets see what others hav to say.Always on the lookout: grat!glidernut.:-wave

Guest jonpoint

3DS to FU3? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasy!Use n3ds2e.exe to get the efile, edit that, add textures if required and use BSP.exe to convert to a binfile.If you send them to me very soon, I will look at them before embarking on my next projects ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest andy9164

Jon,If its that easy I may have go myself. The chap said he would dig out the 3ds files in a couple of days so here's hoping. I will scream if I get stuck. Another string to my modelling knowledge perhaps???andy

Guest jonpoint

Andy,"Another string to my modelling knowledge perhaps???"Of course! I'd still like copies to add to my extensive 3DS collection, if possible ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest andy9164

John,Ok with me. I did promise to send the guy some screenshots of the great work being done here. Any objections if I send him some Dash-8 shots.Andy

Guest andy9164

John,You were right. Here is my first attempt at converting a 3ds file into bin for FU3...easy. Found the 3ds file on the web and then converted.Its only a bit of fun, but does anybody want a parking meter?Now for something more adventureous.Andyhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/17786.zip

Guest andy9164

I guess i've hit my first problem with looking for 3ds files, downloading and converting. Firstly there is a lot of good models for free on the web in 3ds format, it just takes a long time to find themSecondly, and this is where I step out of my depth immediately (but it sounds good) I see there are polygon limits (600 according to the Looking Glass white paper - see I have been reading about it).When I convert some of the 3ds files to e files they are huge, and without counting each point and vertex would suspect that I am overstepping the mark which is why I get errors like 1 point left (but it says that 100 times). Maybe I was a little too confident too early, but, is there a solution apart from learning some form of 3D modelling tool.My idea was to use planes and buildings already available as freeware and get them into FU3.Any suggestionsAndy

Guest glidernut

Andy,I could see your parking meater in model-vewer, but in order to see it in fled, I had to rename "pkmeter.bin" to "pkmeter0.bin".Your parking meater seems to look just as good in Seattle as itdus in Sanfran. see snaps, the ferst is Seattle, Iill let youges which one is Sanfran.The hight of the parking meater seems about right too.Is this by chance, or did you chang the scale in sum way ?Andy, You continu to astonish me.Long bifor Jon Point did his trees, and Robert Driscoll did histrees, I had found about 20 trees on the net in 3Ds format andI could see most of them in my 3D Studio MAX modeling program.But thats as far as I ever got. So I not only hav to contend with jon and Robert teling me itsEeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaasy! but your doing it as well!this is intolarabl!glidernut.:-wave

Guest andy9164

John,Brilliant mate. Had to giggle when I saw the pictures. The way its going I will need to put one at Lydd and also a bag of "quarters" by the side of it as my planes are grounded until I sort the taxigraph problem I have (see other posts).However I might have a quick last flight tonight and take a few photo's of work in progress, thats if you like looking at runways, aprons and taxiways. Who knows we may even get some new airport buildings if I can get them from the web. Heres hoping. Andy

Guest jonpoint

Objections? Please send 100 shots. I've got another 300 if you need them! Anything to further our endeavours. I'm glad you're having fun with the models too!:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, it IS easy. All you have to do is drive across to Andy's house and ask him how to make models!And only you would put parking meters next to the aircraft at an airport. Trying to raise money for FU4? Let's see, $200 per hour for a Jumbo, $120 per hour for a Dash, $15 per hour for a Cessna 172, and they pay you if you leave a glider with them ... sounds about right.

Guest jonpoint

Andy,I have been thiinking about your question regarding polygon count and here's my suggestions:Trees, small objects - Try to keep to less than 20 polygons. Then you can have lots of them :-) My trees are 6 polygons, lights are 2.Buildings - Most can be done in less than 200 polygons. Steer clear of the lovely 3DS ranch houses with 1700+ polys! Special buildings like Parliament House etc are OK to be larger because there's less of them.Cars, trucks, moving objects - Try to keep to less than 100 polys here as you want a few of these. The more polygons, the more stuttery the model moves.Aircraft - For actual flying FU3 aircraft, 2000 polys is the limit. For flying models, try to keep to less than 1000 polygons if possible. A smooth-flying 200 polygon model looks better a mile away than a highly-detailed one stuttering across the sky ;)For other objects or for general planning, we have to rational! I believe that the detail level required is dependant on how far away the objects are viewed. Simple models like trees and simple buildings can be made to appear detailed through texturing rather then polygonal complexity! Objects that might appear near the aircraft when parked should be more physically detailed (like Rob's light poles or my fuel tanks). Large objects that will only be viewed from a distance can be less polygonally complex but may have more complex textures, as they cover a larger field of view.Have a great weekend :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************