Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

New airports

Guest R_Driscoll

I have helped make several airports now, both in Seattle and UK-South, and have enjoyed making them very much.When I started constructing for UK-South, I discussed goals with Cristian and we agreed that for the airports, all we needed to do was add some hangars and runways and this would help a lot.In practise I have gone a bit further, by adding approach lighting, ILS equipment, runway signs, ancillary ground equipment, aircraft parking bays and some taxiways. But I have never tried to "concrete" the whole airport.However I am planning to upgrade the big airports (since I have had to remove jtrees and also installing the new runways). I know I promised this a long time ago but its been busy here. Anyway, since I hope to do this, I would really appreciate some feedback.So here's the question. If there was one or two things you could add to the major airports in UK-South to improve their realism, or that you miss and would like to see included, and that I could model as static or dynamic objects, what would they be?RobD.

Guest andy9164

Rob,This is a BIG task. However, any continual improvement should be greatly appreciated by all. One thing I have noticed as taxiing around several airports is that the taxiways / junctions / concrete etc are made of several bin files laid on top of each other but as we know they do not always display correctly.I have been working mainly on 2-d models and have made all independant taxiways and runways for my airport at Lydd and this somehow adds a better feel to the airport. This includes making runways that cross without laying over each other by making 3 made to measure seperate models. I am more than happy to work with you on building taxiways and even possibly runways to help you concrete the whole airport.Let me know if you want some help.Andy

Guest glidernut

Another rotateing radare perhaps ?This was so good, Im a bit suprized you only did the one.I thort perhaps this was bicous the rotateing radare was very dificalt to do.Or perhaps its bicous in real lif there is only one radare.If this is the cace, then its a pity, cus that rotateing radare is so goodI would like to see mor of them.Perhaps one or tow at other airports.glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Andy! I appreciate the offer. Since there were only two replies though, I don't think this is a high priority. Maybe people are too busy flying to be spending much time on the ground staring at terminals? I'll keep it as a mid-term goal, hopefully in time for Cristian's next disk upgrade! Wait till you see LCA though. Its enormous. Don't blame me - its Hans Petter's doing. And also thanks Glidernut! I only make what I can see, and I couldn't see any radars at Gatwick, Stansted or LCA. But I did have a good photo of a radar at Stansted. I just couldn't figure out where it belonged.The rotating radar is not difficult. Here's the method. I make the radar as a separate unit. Then I load it into the back of the Mazda and drive out to the airport where the radar concrete base has been preassembled by my dedicated elves. Hurling a grappling hook up to the top, I rope climb to the overhang, the radar strapped on my back. Then in Tom Cruise-like fashion, I swing over the overhang and carefully mount the radar in the central pivot. Grabbing the axial arm, I run around in circles pushing the radar (technically called "winding up the rubber band"), then cleverly ducking low as it starts to spin, I abseil back to the ground. Its quite easy really.(If you want proper technical details, just email me and I'll happily tell the real method! It was invented by Tomi Lehto).RobD.

Guest andy9164

Rob,There is a rotating radar but its not actually located at the airport.Its a big red and white thing located about a mile South. I will take a photo for you in my lunch hour Friday and find the co-ordinates on the map. Maybe Glidernut could have a go at modelling it.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't mind including it in the Stansted package if I know where it is. That would be fine. Several people also mentioned that they saw a radar at Gatwick - of course it must have one. But again, I don't know where it is located.Anyway, Andy provides the location, and thanks Glidernut for volunteering to model the Stansted radar, and I'll do the little bit about placing it using FLED. But if Glidernut doesn't mind too much, possibly I could help with the modelling. They're nasty things, radars, they curve all over the place.If that's agreed, I'll go fire up the Mazda and get my grappling hook.But are there other things people would like to see added to the big airports for realism? Is everyone agreed that concreting (texturing in finer detail) would be a big help? Or are there other suggestions like bay numbering? One thing I would like to see is more people, and it seems that this is something that could be done using GMax, by someone else (not me!) - we need passengers, pilots, ground staff, security, gardeners, stewards/stewardesses. This could be a big help, but my direct editing technique is not great for making curvy things like people. Both of my previous attempts at people were very blockish and amateurish. And Mike has looked very ugly ever since he walked into a glider some time ago.My goal here is not to compete with FS, but to make packages as professionally as possible within the limits of FU3.RobD.

Guest andy9164

Rob, sorry, mis information on my part. I was reffering to the Gatwick radar in fact I think there are 2. Will go take the photos and give the locations. Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

If you can find the correct location, that would be marvellous. But if its not at the airport itself, I might cheat and simply put a copy of the Heathrow radar in the correct Gatwick location - its unlikely that in normal flying you would see it! I'm just making the radar for Cardiff, and its a lot of work !How's your airport package going?