Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

The new Big Red has finally arrived

Guest jonpoint

Woo-hoooo!I'm getting it right now. Nice paint job, H-P! Good things are always worth the wait ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest twsimfan

Hans,Looks great... nice flag too! ;-)

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Hans Petter! - it look great. I plan to wheel it out of the hangar and start ageing the paintjob this evening. :-wave You guys are amazing.RobD.

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,Congratulations on a job wel dun.Good paint job, I like the flag too. But I wont take it out of the hanger if its raning.I know how to look after a new paint job.glidernut:-wave

Regarding flag being back to front I can answer that. The flag is "flying in the wind" on both sides of the vertical tail. I've seen vehicles using the same flag decal on both sides, which means that one side has the flag pointing into the wind. I asked Ed Weber about this and he said the the imaginary mast was forward on both sides. So, I'm quite sure that this is correct. Here's a picture of the real tail: http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18405.jpgThe bad thing would be to put the flag upside down since that would signal that the plane had been taken over by enemy forces :-roll Hans Petter

Hans,Sorry about that. I was thinking in 2D, rather than 3D. Presumably, the opposite side of a real flag would have the image "back to front". Anyway, you are clearly correct. The proof is plain to see in that photograph :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I still think the flag looks "wrong" that way, but hey, if that's how the real thing looks then it's OK. I've seen the same thing on some FS2002 planes and I thought it was a limitation of the textures of the plane, but apparently that's how some people draw the flags on their planes. Now if that Baron was mine, I wouldn't put the flag that way :-lolDoes this plane include the 2D panel that you showed screenshots of a few months ago or is that comming in a future version?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Regarding the flag, my American uncle has commented on Greyhound buses having the flag "the wrong way" on one side. To him a flag should "fly" from the front backwards, irrespective of left or right. It seems that Ed Weber, owner of the "Big Red", holds the same opinion.The other 2D panel is one that Steve Hess is working on. When that one becomes available we'll make an alternative version. best regards,Hans Petter

Hans.Thank's for another great repaint.This arcraft is also included with very nice panel by Tom W.The flag looks perfect to me.Thank's again,It's already taken the first test flights in UK-south.Lars Peter.

Guest tallpilot

I would like to thank Hans for producing Big Red for this sim. He did a great job.The flags on my airplane are decals that were purchased from an aircraft parts supplier and that is how they are designed to be installed. The idea is that it's the same as a flag flying on a pole. If you view it from one side and then walked around to the other side,the stars would still be toward the pole.Once again thank you Hans and if any of you are ever in the Lake Havasu City Arizona area (home of the London Bridge),please stop by and say hello. I've been known to give simmers a ride in Big Red. :-)Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Guest R_Driscoll

Well Hans, I did wheel it out last night, and sorry Glidernut, it was raining - almost solid overcast. I flew from IOW airport, out to Stonehenge (did you see the Stonehenge shot in the last Computer Pilot?),out to the coast looking for Bristol and Cardiff. I was disappointed to find no detailed scenery in those areas, probably because I haven't properly installed disk 9 (for some weeks I have only flown around Seattle, San Fran and about 1 sq mile of London City Airport). It seems heavy and underpowered, and takes a while to get up to a good cruising speed, but it seems to climb very well despite this and I had no trouble crusing at 8000 ft. It would not be my plane of choice for scenery development - its turning circle in the air is big, and at 90 deg banks it seems to fall quite quickly with slow recovery, so I guess if I was marketing this unit it would be as a family flier, mid-distance scenic, touring.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18980.jpgScenic shothttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18981.jpgTakeoff from IOWhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18982.jpgFarming countryHaving the improved graphics is a dramatic improvement to the sense of being there. The red colouring now looks right, and the panel is fine, with good instrumentation. It was very pleasant though to sit back in F5 view and watch the plane drift over that beautiful UK scenery.And unlike the ComputerPilot version of Stonehenge, the FU3 one wasn't flat.Later I flew back to Gatwick.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18983.jpgNear Southamptonhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18984.jpgThe new hangar at Gatwick.

Robert, does the Big Red handle differently than Ansgar's original? I thought that I hadn't used any tweaked flight dynamics this time. If it makes wider turns that would be the flight dynamics tweak by Daniel. I'm so used to flying this aircraft that I hardly notice. However, don't expect a Cessna 172 :-)Hans Petter