Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

How to edit FU3 sound files?

It's me again, me and my questions :-lolThis time I want to eidt the sound files in FU3. What I want to do is export all the soundfiles so I can edit them and cut 'n paste them together to create new words. I'm tired of all the UK airports having no names at all or names like "119.2" or "Swanson". I was thinking about either trying to create new words out of the ones available, or, if that's too hard, I'll make "Pro Pilot '99" style names, ie. Heathrow would simply be called "Echo-Golf-Lima-Lima" for example. PP '99 did this, and FS2002 also does this for smaller airports and it works fine.Is it possible to create new sounds and import them into FU3 at all? I know it has been done with aircraft callsigns, but can it be done with airport names?How do I extract the files, and how would I import the new soundfiles? I already have Cool Edit Pro 2.0, I just need to know how to get the soundfiles out of FU3 to edit them, and then put them back in again once they're done.Also, wouldn't it be possible to take the FS2002 voices and use them in FU3? All the needed words should be in there :)Edited:LOL I did find out how to listen to the soundfiles and I found some rather funny phrases:-You don't have to make a cross-country in the pattern, jack!-I'm gonna take that yoke of yours and throw it out the window if you try that stunt again-Hey you up there, do you have ailerons?-Will give way to Mario Andretti passing me on the taxiway:-lolSo, is it possible to import new sounds? If so, how would I go about assigning them to airport names?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Sure, you can edit the FU3 sounds as you like.You have to use Gideon's res.viewer and export it into a soundprogram.You can for example use "Goldwave".This is a very good program and you can find a it here.http://www.goldwave.com/Just make sure that you import the soundfiles back into the sim in the same format. As I remember this is 4 or 8 bits mono format.I am also tired of 119.2;-) If you want to try making new sounds,that would be great.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

OK I found the "import" option in Resviewer, I suppose I just click that and choose the finished wav file when it's time to import.After making a soundfiile, and importing it, how do I assign it to the correct aiport, though? Even the text in FU3 reads "119.2" so that must be changed.I found "London Heathrow" in one of the soundfiles so wouldn't it be possible to assing that one to EGLL right away? Also, which airport is "Swanson" referng to in the UK region?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jimmi.I have never tried adding more sounds to the sim, so I guess you have to play around with it and see what is possible to add or change.I did change almost every sounds for one of the pilot some time agoto get one of the old from FU2 back into FU3, and that worked fine.If you mess up your sound files, you can import the origial res. files back from the Install CD.(Or you can make a backup on the HD).Lars Peter.

I know that Jon Point and others have been cutting and pasting parts of existing phrases to create new callsigns. This begs the question, what's wrong with making a new set of recordings, for instance having one of our favorite Brits read "Heathrow approach", "Gatwick approach" etc or for the funny parts, some dry, witty remarks to replace some of the American ones.(How about: "I must say that I find it rather peculiar that you're mowing the lawn with an aeroplane my friend...well, mind the gap" :-)) Anyway, if new recordings can be used in FU III there's no need to mix and match segments from existing sound files and we may get other accents, new phrases as well as new words.Hans Petter

Never mind, I found the airport names thanks to your post above^^ :DCan you modify the header file, sndresv.h and add things to it? Anyone tried that? Or would that require a recompile, ie. the source code? If it's not possible to edit that, I'm afraid we will need to replace existing sounds from SFO and SEA airports which would require us to switch a couple of files everytime the region is changed from UK to Sea/SFO... I want a SDK...why can the FS2002 developers have SDK's and not I? x(

MSFS / XP

When trying to import a file I get Error 1253: Error saving file ?

MSFS / XP

I don't know what the problem was. I copied the original res file from the CD and it worked fine. Must have corrupted the res files somehow.I have "London Heathrow Tower" and "London Heathrow Ground" simply by setting "fbo_tower_name 8420" and "fbo_ground_name 8419". I have no idea how *that* happened, aren't those two supposed to be for Boeing Field?

MSFS / XP

Guest jonpoint

Folks,Please speak to Steffen about this! He (and I) have been going through all the sounds, trying to list them in a spreadsheet. I too am interested in doing some new calls for the UK (using my "Cptain Bristow" voice...) but, being busy with the Dash-8, gliders and other things (like actually flying for a change!), I haven't got around to it.BTW, the 'trick' to preserving the soundfile format is to extract the files you wish to replace, create the new sound you want and paste it back into the original file using Cool etc. The actual format is IMA ADPCM, mono at 11kHz I believe. I'll have a look tonight to confirm this. 8 or 16-bit will work actually however you get funny effects like silence(!) or repeating voices if you mix the sample types up :-(:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

I noticed that...I first got only silence when creating sounds for Southampton, then a high-pitched, too fast sound :-lol Eventually I got it right :+Also, Cool Edit Pro 2.0 doesn't seem to like the file format at all. It cuts the last .5 seconds away from the end of the file. Goldwave can read the files, however, the multitrack view of Cool Edit is really helpful when creating files.Do you have the spreadsheet? I would be really interested in looking at it.Also, do you know where the actual textstrings that are displayed in the ATC menu are stored? Are they buried in some .res file? Even though I can replace the sounds, the ATC menu still lists the airport I replaced.For exmaple I've got a voice done, that says something that sounds like "Southampton" (well it sounds like it if you use your imagination a lot, still got some editing to do :D ), but the menu lists Everett because that's the original airport that I "recycled", ie. I replaced the Everett soundfiles with "Southampton" :)

MSFS / XP

I found the text strings in vctrl.res but I can't change them. If I change a name and start FU3, it crahses as soon as I press 'Space' to bring up the menu. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the text? If so I'd like to know how :)-edit-OK I have been able to replace the name strings in the ATC menu using a HEX editor. I have it all figured out now and can start replace the soundfiles for all voices and airports. I'll try to organize the files so I can put them in a neat script rather than having to upload the entire .res files :) But now it's time to sleep :)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18608.jpg

MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

Using "London Heathrow": Already done Jimmi! The Heathrow airport package uses the Heathrow radio sounds.RobD.

Guest Steffen

Hi folks,sorry that I almost missed this post - I've been really busy the last weeks because of some exams (to give and to do).I've been looking at the sounds of FU3 for some spare time now. And so far I can easily provide:* an Excel-worksheet that list every single sound file which is available in FU3's Seattle and SanFran region. If it is spoken text, then the text an type of speaker is given. That way, you can search for phrases or silliables of the desired word you want to create. Creating new words that way is not too hard after a little practice. If there is interest, I can upload that worksheet to the Library or send it via mail. However, there are no how-to manuals or anything included so far - that's why I held back till yet.* I'm currently playing around with FU3's own vcomctrl.res and other AI radio files. I tried to create own sounds for the major airlines which are either used as repaints or are part of Ansgar's AI enhancement. I came up with some basic and good looking beta-results in which the users of Ansgar's AI enhancement can replace/tune their files so that the AI Ryan Air birds get called Ryan Air Flight..., the Lufthansa ones "Lufthansa Flight..." and so on. Most of those files still need VERY much work - but I tested the basic concept (and the needed Resviewer scripts) and everything works. And hearing the radio call Lufthansa, Delta, and Ryan Air flights really adds to the hearing experience on long flights...So any experts who have currently more time than me who would be willing to further play around with my airliner names would be welcome, we'll see.Blue Skies,Steffen