Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

How to edit FU3 sound files?

Steffen - are you able to actually add new sounds to the res file? I am not able to do that, and I can't add new soundgroup numbers. I can only edit the existing ones. If there is a way to create new sounds and give them a soundgroup number, I'd really like to know.However, the soundfiles are region-specific which means that I can simply replace the text and sounds in the vprx.res (x= 1,2,3...) and vctrl.res files in the GENPILE folder of the UK region without it affecting the other regions. This is not as pretty, but in reality there shouldn't be any difference. Only problem I can see is that I may "run out" of airport names, since the UK region is much larger and has more airports than either the Seattle or the Sanfran regions, but there are some other files you can re-use as well since there are many phrases that are never actually used in the sim. However that won't be a problem until we get 20-ish or more airports in the region.Would you please email the Excel file to jimmi.gruen@swipnet.se?I did "Southampton" and "London City" for all voices plus ATIS and Approach and modified the approriate text strings today which means that those are done. I'm working on Plymouth right now.I've attached the Southampton files so you lot can give some input.Please tell me what you think so I know if it's worth continuing.If you think it sounds good enough, I will continue working with the other airports, they should be done by the end of this week.If it doesn't sound good enough, someone who's better at wave editing will have to give it a try because this is as good as I can get it without spending hours on every single phrase for every single voice. But then I wouldn't be done until sometime around the release of FU4 :-lol ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hans - That would be very cool, but someone would have to read all the phrases which would be quite a big task to take on. There are a lot of phrases. However if someone wants to do that then go ahead :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I just downloaded your sound files and some sound quite good. However, other voices seem to say "south-option", "south-engine" or "south-happen". There's a "south-ampton" and that one approximates a common British pronunciation (dropping the "h"). It seems like the "ham" element is the one that's hard to get right.What I still don't understand is why it wouldn't be easier to record the actual phrases, preferably read by someone with the correct accent? We've got quite a few guys (Aussies might pass as Brits) and we would need a few girls (wives, girlfriends). How about it?best regards,Hans Petter

Do you mean someone to only read those phrases or all of the phrases? Mixing different voices wouldn't sound good so that person would have to read all the phrases and there are quite a few. But anyone who wants to do that is welcome to do it :)

MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

"Aussies might pass as Brits" ??????Who are you kidding? We could never sink that low. Jon, defend our national honour here. :-samurai ;-) RobD.

Guest jonpoint

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH...:-bang :-samurai :-bang :-samurai :-bang :-samurai :-bang :-samurai So, they win a footie match and they think they're on top again - sheesh! Wait till the cricket season. Then there's the swimming...Seriously now, Rob! They're having a go at us because us 'foreigners' produce more UK FU3 stuff than the British! Just look at the statistics:UK region - Italy (well, it's not England)London landmarks - Australia1st aircraft livery for UK region - Switzerland2nd aircraft livery for UK region - AustraliaThat's not to discount the wonderful work done between the UK contingent on the local airports ;) Nor the amazing amount of work done by Chris Low with the US scenery (I'd love to see the UK region with a full 'Lowie' applied...)Anyway, if I get to do any voices for FU3, I'm going to do it with a heavy Invercargill Kiwi accent, just to annoy everyone."Desh eat texying frum north remp texy to renwee tio sex veer texywee elfa, weskee, kello" :-lolDo we have someone that can do a thick, 'North Country' UK accent? That would be fun!PS Rob, looks like they sent us some of their weather... ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Well I think I know how to create new voice files and if not, someone else will know. So, it's just a matter of sitting down with a microphone for a couple of days :) I could do a voice with a Swedish accent "Cessna Too Lema Gorlf, taaksi from noort raempp wif aecho" :-lol

MSFS / XP

Sorry about upsetting the Aussies but you DO share basic linguistic features with the Brits. First of all, you don't pronounce post-vocalic "R"s. You pahk yah cahz in the back yahd, don't you? :-) Whatever "Kiwi" implies I say "bring it on!".Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

:-lol"You pahk yah cahz in the back yahd, don't you? "Actually (sorry... 'acherly'), it's "ya pahk ya cahs in d back yahd, don't ya?"...pass d plaggon...'Kiwi' implies mixed-up vowels. Like swapping 'i' and 'e' over. Oh, it also means ending every sentence like a question with 'eh?' at the end (kinda like some Canadians..). Last time I was over there working, one morning the IT Admin guy walks into the office and says 'hungry?'. We agreed and he said 'lits go tu meccas for brikfast, eh?'My assistant and I cried with laughter afterwards :-lolJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

I've got to copy some of these down!To be honest, I've always had great admiration for the British. How a little island could do so much!!Gives me hope for my home country, Tasmania.And for those of you who don't know New Zealand, that's the two little islands just off the eastern seaboard of Tasmania. I call them the eastern states, so that I don't confuse them with the north island (rest of Australia). Its all perspective.And now that I've insulted just about everyone on the forum, I better pull my head back in and do some work ...;-) RobD.(now what was the topic for this thread?????????????)

Guest andy9164

From Yorkshire in Northern England I could so some in a thick English accent. How about."Oy cloth ed. Gerroffat grass""What duz thar think tharz doin""Ow do lad, stick it darn theer ont black stuff""Mek tha way tu runway thuty too then gerrold a gaffer int tower and si if il let tha tek off."And ones from our London friends could include such terminology asSarfamptun (Southamptom), Norwth (North), Sarf (South), Cor Blimey Guvnor.Andy

Guest qvdg

What ever the dialect don't forget the "Sir". I was pleasantly surprised by the frequent use of "Sir" by the controlers on the otherside of the manche. On my very first visit, London control had trouble passing on a QNH to what appeared to be a USAF flight to Belgium (flying too low I guess) so he asked me to relay it on to them. The yankees seemed a bit suspicious receiving a relayed messaged from a guy with an Aussie accent in a French registered aircraft. I did however get a " Fox Zulu Bravo - Thank you very much Sir" from London.QvdG

Jon,I am currently doing another "amazing" amount of work with respect to the US scenery. Adding all of those logs, and LOADS of extra trees at some airfields (sorry, just the standard ones for the moment; otherwise I will be here forever) is a nightmare at times. We all know how "temperamental" FLED can be :-)I will be using some of that fencing at various airfields, together with a few hangars and fuel tanks. I am even considering adding some pylons in one or two locations, but I will need to experiment to see what these look like first.Anyway, I can see this taking all summer to complete......Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Despite living in the UK, I am not particularly enthusiastic about working on the UK-South region. I hope that this doesn't annoy anyone, but I am more interested in the two US regions, since these are "feature complete". I am hoping to be able to resume flying at some point, probably around October :-lol

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As regions are concerned I like them all :-) Since we don't get Chris Low guiding us through the English airspace, how about John Lewis? I've heard his voice in the "taking off backwards" video and this sounds like a promising radio voice. Then we might get this "Austrylian" voice guiding the desh eat ta pahk on dee eyepron :-lol Jokes aside, it would really enhance this region if we got a predominance of region-specific accents. I would assume that most controllers speak "the Queen's English" (Oxford English / BBC English / received pronunciation) for clarity. Then we need some northern pilots (including Scottish or Irish) to get a variety.The American voices in the standard FU III are quite different too. I've heard anything from eastern to a southern drawl. Hans Petter

Jimmig Good evening,;) All does this discussion interest me much, but I do not have courage to translate all the messages to try to learn the lesson from it, the more so as I did not include/understand anything with certain.:-hmmm If you sometimes happen to obtain a methodology from it, is what you could write it and to publish it on the forum? I think that you would render service to a heap of buddies, and with me in particulier.:-zhelp By advance thank you. Luc :+Bonsoir Jimmig,;) Toute cette discussion m'int