Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Bye Bye AVSIM!!!

Guest Max Cowgill

Paul, I understand where you're coming from and sympathize with you. I have had many threads locked on me that I either started or was very involved in the conversation, and I remember how I felt after each time - I was ###### at Avsim for locking a thread that I (and others who were involved in the conversation) thought was a valuable discussion. I thought that some of the conversations were even closed due to Avsim's relationship with certain companies, and this ###### me off even more. Sometimes you just have to take the good along with the bad though. However, despite its short-comings, Avsim is still the best flight sim site on the net, and I'm sure you'll agree, Paul. Well, if you decide not to stay, drop me a line sometime (flyermax2k1@yahoo.com). Here's to ya! :-beerchugMax Cowgill

Paul,I fully support Avsim in whatever decisions they make. Period!!!Here is why.I hope you understand this in no way underscores your decision to stay or not. I could really give a rip as it is your decision to make one way or the other. But before you go, here is my nickel. (Can never give just two cents)Thank you very much for your contributions on this Privately owned and run forum. You helped out many a folk with both your wisdom and your knowledge of computers and you should be commended for that.But I disagree with you on your tactics. Did you send an email to Tom first for an explanation as to why it was locked, or did you just try to make a proverbial scene by stating your intentions to leave.I am a GUEST here, and I agree to abide by their rules. Even I break them from time to time, and I get some of threads deleted that I have posted in. It goes with the territory.Was there a better approach to the original authors intent on a petition. Well, I can only speak for myself, but what if the Author designed a simple webpage for a petition, and included that link in his signature or posted the link in the general discussion forum.Microsoft does have a Feedback address and I believe that it can be found easily in either documentation or at MS's website.I also take a issue with this statement you made:"This place has become less and less for the benefit for those that have contributed to FS and is lost touch with the base"Did you really think about this statement before you hit the Post Message button. I could be wrong (rare, but it happens :-) ), I don't feel like this is a site only for the benefit of those who have contributed to FS, and if it ever becomes that, I will probably leave, IMHO.This to me represenst simply a FAMILY of flightsim enthusiasts who have a choice to read or not read a thread, and the Management has a responsibility to help keep it civil for the sake of the community, IMHO. That is my take on this.Paul, I do hope you don't leave, but if you do, then maybe you are right. This community may not be for you. But I think it is. I may disagree with you from time to time, but that's ok, as it happens in families all the time. christian has 123 posts, so surely he has seen the other dozens of SDK posts and patch posts and this issue has been beaten to death. And believe me, I am no great fan of what MSFT does from time to time. But he could have, and probably still can go about his goal in a manner consistent with Avsim's rules. Remember, this is not a public forum, and Avsim allows discourse in their policies as well. Like this thread. It is not locked but guess what Paul. It should have been posted in the General Discussion Forum, not this one.Even I took a chance and posted my SNJ pics and links most likely violating Avsim's policy. There may not have been harm in what I did, as they were on my server, but if they pulled the thread, I would not have said a word about it, because I respect their site. Again, I hope you rethink your position, and stick around. There are many good people here, and you may not be missed, but it would be a little less feisty here without you. And I like feistyness.. :-)Good Luck andBest Regards,Joe :-)PS- I checked on the door here and it is actually a revolving door making it pretty difficult to hit you in the behind. So Just let it go by once and come on back in, the weather is fine. :-)******************************Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm******************************.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

It can get pretty frustrating I know!As stated previously, it's old news and beaten to death.We have a saying here at the Equestrian center, It's no good flogging a dead horse, you can't make him drink!I was astonished that the question even arose.All those Microsoft guys are busy with CFS3 right now frantically working away to make sure it's OK for fall release.Microsoft checks these forums, they know what's what and what the feeling is.

Guest PaulL01

Tom,With all due respect I will try to express myself here without the un-needed attack style that accomplishes very little.I feel that this forum has lost its sense of underdog, grass roots heck, I don

Guest SoarPics

Your points are all valid, Paul. Just as are mine and everyone elses. The questions you now have to answer for yourself are this: Will your walking away from this site accomplish anything good? Will you benefit from making a departure?And if you feel so strongly about such a petition (and we all feel it couldn't hurt) can you get more mileage from your effort by staying or going?Regards,

Wait a minute!!!...... start the A/C & cool off! When we get real "######" about the consequences of this virtual reality, then step back & think about it! ALL this is, is a virtual reality, a game, entertainment or a training tool. Microsoft does NOT owe US anything, nor are they obligated to divulge all their trade secrets. Strongarm attempts such as petitions or developers pulling files seem to have little effect------- because A: it's NOT that important in the "real life" scheme of things, & B: It's only for the benefit of a small percentage of Microsoft's flight simulation customers. As has been previously stated, MS employees do read the contents of many of these forums & DO make it a point of incorporating ideas into their future products.The choices are CLEAR............. don't let this "virtual reality" take precedence over actual reality to the point of becoming completely upset!! And BTW, I'm guilty of that myself!! :), or lastly, get rid of the product. But at least I do draw the line in attempting to force someone such as Avsim or Microsoft into my way of thinking...... about something that is essentially nothing more than a GAME!L.Adamson

>With all due respect I will try to express myself here >without the un-needed attack style that accomplishes very >little. Why would you think that style was necessary in the first place?>I feel that this forum has lost its sense of underdog, grass >roots heck, I don

I once had a business meeting to attend in Hamburg, Germany. An Italian collegue and I flew into together. I drove and he navigated. I had been there numerous times in the past, and knew how to get around reasonably well. But, he insisted on navigating, and he had never been there before. Coming out of the airport in our shiny new rental car, he instructed me to turn the opposite direction from that which I knew to be the correct direction to go. At length, and in somewhat of a time constraint, I hurriedly explained to him that he was not correct and that we should go the opposite directions, citing the signs as road maps to his success as a navigator. Of course, I did this with somewhat elevated volume and probably way too fast for a non-native English speaker to safely absorb. A couple of well aimed expletives in his direction probably didn't help. His response?"Tom, you confuseded me."Larry, you confuseded me. :)

>Larry, you confuseded me. :) I know!!!...... (sounds like a bunch of garble to me...delete it!) :)L.Adamson

No WAY DUDE.. I am going to let that stand for future use! I am sure that there are some simmers who reside on the "dark side" that will surely quote your message above in the future! :-lolGod, I just love this hobby, er, affliction.

Hi Tom and of course Larry,Just wanted to stop in and say Hi.. :-lol :-lol :-lolNice post Larry. It will look good in the Archive.:-lol :-lol :-lol :-lolJK- You are still within the hour limit... ;-)Regards,Joe :-wave******************************Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm******************************.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

BTW, Joe........... nice SNJ flight pics!! I think I looked at all 97+ of them!L.Adamson

Thanks Larry,I have 123 total, but a few didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, so poof they went. :-)I also saw your RV pics a short time ago. Looks like it is coming along quite well. :-)Oh yeah, next up I may finally post my Oshkosh pics from last year. 223 of them. :-) Maybe in the next few days, if I get some time.Regards,Joe :-wave******************************Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm******************************.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest JonP01

>I LOVE Avsim and It is the best Place for People who Love >Flight simulator (still can not belive it is free >:)..........) >The Site I used to visit was What makes me realise HOW good >this Place is ! >It is a Great Place Full of Great things and great people >who Spend there time Making it This good :) >I think anybody says goodbye to AVSIM says goodbye To There >Home and it is real Lonley out there :) >Anniette xxxxxxxxxxx Anniette,Certainly Avsim is a free service but as you may be aware, you can still make a donation through the Avsim shop. Avsim gives me a tremendous amount of enjoyment and I would feel pretty guilty if I didn't help out in this way.

That is good for you :)I never pay moneyI never charge money ;)Anniette xxxxxxxxxx