Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Image Limit

Some days ago I ran into a limit of uploaded images. In order to add new images I would need to delete previous ones. I declined and aborted the upload. Now I just read that Glidernut had accidentally deleted some of Quaxo's images, to make room for his own. Thus, there seems to be a (new?) limit on images per thread. Now, I can see why lots of images may overload the server but what are the current rules? Is it total number of images per thread, number of images per user, total file size per thread or something else?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,I can also see why avsim might want to limit the nubbers of images.As too meny images might overload avsim.But If this is how avsim is operating now,Then the system is not working properly!I mean, how can Quaxo go over the limit, when I could not ?glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, and uploaded images only seem to last a few days!

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,I think the limit was 4 per post, max res of 640x480 jpeg or gif.What I've noticed going on in some posts, folks are uploading images, imbedding them in such a way as to be able to see their image in preview; but are forgetting to delete the reference to the image in the bottom tool bar. I suspect in that instance, that is 2 images being uploaded. So if 4 are being done in that way, there's really 8 being uploaded. Example following.I didn't delete references to one of these attachments in the "post a reply" bar at the bottom and here I think that might be considered posting 3 of the limited 4 images per post. For this to be only 2 uploads, I should have deleted the 19849jpg in the bottom bar prior to posting. Of course this is just Jimmy B rambling theory.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/19849.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/19850.jpgNow I'm going to post this and see how it looks.

If that's the case, then the duplicated image should be deleted AUTOMATICALLY. There was never a problem when using the old system, so forum members cannot be blamed for failing to do something which they do not realise needs to be done !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Hans,To my knowledge there is no image limit per thread. There has been a limit of 5 images per post with a maximum width of 700 pixels for a long time. No limit on how high that I know of. It has been obvious that such a limit was needed for the Screenshot Forum and the MSFS General Forum due to the volume there. Bob & I have never enforced the limit here or in Racing Fools... we felt that whatever volume we get is welcome and a few extra pics wont hurt anything here. This most recent forum software polices this policy. Not my choice... but it is a good policy for AVSIM as a whole. Sorry.

Guest Robert_S

I can add a couple of notes to this discussion.If you have webspace available and post your images there, and link to them in your posts here on AVSIM, there is no limit.And I once made the mistake of failing to change the upload type from TXT to JPG, but even though it (supposedly) uploaded fine, it wasn't usable, naturally. But it did count as one of the five, so I was able to post only four images. Sure, I could have killed the post entirely and restarted, but I didn't think of that until it was too late.Hey, have pity on us old folk. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

OK, but it can't be a simple as "5 images per post". I tried to be clever and reply to my own post to upload the two remaining images. The moment I tried to add them I got the "limit reached" message, despite this being a new post. So, the common denominator could be me or the thread itself. Since Glidernut managed to delete Quaxo's images this suggests that the thread has a limit. Still, I really commend the Avsim forums for accepting images at all. It makes all threads more interesting and it really helps to illustrate problems, issues and highlights rather than having to explain everything with words. Further, it doesn't really matter much that the images are being pulled after a couple of weeks since that's enough time for everybody to chime in. Another point that us "broadbanders" really appreciate -- the Avsim file library offers incredibly good bandwidth. I download files at a whopping 60 - 90 kbs while other free sites tend to limit the download speed. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Stearman

>What I've noticed going on in some posts, folks are uploading>images, imbedding them in such a way as to be able to see>their image in preview; but are forgetting to delete the>reference to the image in the bottom tool bar. I suspect in>that instance, that is 2 images being uploaded.Hi Jim... excellent remark!!I'm a perfect example of that wrong practice... will try to remember it in the future... thanks for pointing it out!!Best regards,