Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

New modelmip.tag

Guest R_Driscoll

I have built a new modelmip.tag for Seattle. My main goal was to replace the "ntree" models with Jon's higher detail models. I extracted the existing ntree MIPs, then replaced them with equivalent MIP pictures from Jon's trees.When I first compiled the new modelmip.tag, I tested it in FLED. Initially it looked promising, and when I looked at the ntrees in the object menu, the new trees appeared and looked excellent.Unfortunately as soon as I touched one of the models at SkyHarbour, FLED crashed.I believe the problem is the old one that FLED cannot cope with a change in size of a model, and the new MIPs are much larger than the original. So I don't think it is possible to do a global replace of the "ntree"s unfortunately. I tried several variations, but without success.So next I replaced the trees, cleaned up the model directory a bit and rebuilt a full modelmip.tag including all of the Seattle models added since FU3 was released. The file size changed to about 26 Mb (from an initial size of 8.7 Mb). After zipping, it compressed to 10 Mb whihc would be the download size.To install, you would need to first clean out all models from your SeattleGEN directory, leaving the LITEMAP subdirectory, then unzip and install the new modelmip.tag. The only reasons for doing this would be to ensure you had a complete set of current models, and secondly to make your GEN directory look neater!I have tested this and have had no problems with flying around in Seattle.Ironically, Jon's "jtree"s cannot be put into the new modelmip.tag database, as his trees do not follow the old DOS 8.3 rule for naming which was followed by the FU3 programmers. So his model names get clipped and caused me another few reboots over the weekend until I worked out the problem. So Jon's trees would need to be reinstalled, and I would include this with the new modelmip.tag upload package.The package is ready for upload now. It doesn't solve the "ntree" problem, the main motivation for doing this, but it does "clean-up" the SeattleGEN directory and makes sure you have the complete model sets. Do you want me to upload it?RobD.

Guest glidernut

Dr Robert Driscoll.Yes pleas, upload.I am very gratefal that you cast you exper iye over the problemof geting Fled to use trees other than the difalt trees.Even thow it didant work, at least we know it dusant work for shoower, and we hav a much beter understanding of why.Not only will your upload cleen up the Seattle GEN, but it will also ensurethat we are all up to date with a complete set of current modelsYes I think thats grate.Thanks RobD.glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks glidernut. I will upload then in the next couple of days. I need to just write an installation text file to help everyone install it, so it won't take long.I could also upgrade the model databases for San Fransisco, and also the corresponding LITEMAP databases, so I will try and do this as well.The databases more than triple in size! This is not just because we have increased the number of models available (I think we have more than doubled the number of models but not tripled - you would know better than me) but also because the new models use higher resolution graphics - just compare Jon's trees with the originals! So a lot of the extra space is graphics textures.John, I have sent you several times simple methods and examples on making models. The first time, your computer crashed and I think you never got the post. The next time, something seems to go wrong as well because you never commented on it. Do you want me to try again?RobD.

Guest glidernut

Hi RobD,Im sory if this is a bit short, but my mined is hevaly intoCockpitDesigner, Pant Shop Pro, i,Mage, and a digital camarathat has more butons than I know what to do with.Im doing a flyabl glider, and I jus dont hav the time tothink about anything els just nouw, or in the cuming weeksor munths.I hav even been sent sum Fled models a few days ago and Ihavent even looked at them yet.Im bisy consentrateing on a project, and I carnt think aboutaything els just nouw.glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Can't wait to see the results! I think you are right though. Do the easy things first, build a couple of planes, a jumbo or too to put Ansgar in his place. Then when you have mastered the simple art of building planes, you might be ready to start making a hangar or two. :) Ouch! I think Jon's throwing things at me.RobD.