Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Flight Unlimited 4 is NOT in development - NO JOKE

So, I think that we can safely say that yet another FU related hoax has bitten the dust. No screenshots, no confirmation, no return to this forum by our intrepid "FU4 developer". What a pathetic stunt.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, Flight Unlimited III Pro has come a long way. Remember the stock version of FU III with no packages and simplistic airplanes? Now we've got enhanced airports, new airports, new aircraft, new AI aircraft and even new hi-res regions. I remember when I visited this forum some years ago the discussion was which stock palette to use for a repaint. All had pros and cons and all of them limited the number of available colors. Now we make new palettes, tailored for each aircraft. We used to repaint the Windhawk and the Cessna. Now we repaint the Piper Archer, the new Baron, the B747 and a Dash 8. Interior bitmaps used to be "borrowed" from one FU III aircraft to get all of the quarter views in another. Now we make the entire range of cockpit bitmaps to suit each aircraft. We had stock models (scenery objects) and the ones by Captain Bazza. FLED was all about picking and choosing from a limited set of models. Today we get custom models shipped in from Australia all the time. Since this sim doesn't come in a new version every second year the developers have ample time to finish their enhancements. People developing for MS are fighting a constant struggle to make their addons next-version compatible. In many cases they'll have to start from scratch. They hardly get time to refine their creations before it's time to move on to the next version. Yes, we could have done a lot more with the FU III source code but Gideon, Andre and Ansgar (to mention a few) have really enabled us to take this far beyond the original FU III :-) Hans Petter

Hans,Yes, the absence of any direct successor to FU3 has given us all the time to create add-ons and upgrades without having to worry about the "next version" being released. Still, I can't help feeling that we will need a replacement one day....... ;-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Also a few years ago everyone played the sim at 5 FPS with the lowest detail settings on their 200-300 MHz PCs. Now we (well some of us ;) ) are able to crank up the resolution and play with maximum details and FSAA.I must say I enjoy "Flight Unlimited III Pro" a lot more than the "original" Flight Unlimited III.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

I have certainly enjoyed flying FU3, and what came out of the box was brilliant and set new standards. But what has surprised me is that I have enjoyed the whole process of adding to it - I get as much fun out of seeing a new package come together as actually flying.I guess for us UK-South is as close as we will come to FU4. What do we need to do now to get UK-South to the same level of development as San Fran / Seattle? We have about 10 airports (I haven't counted - I'm from Tasmania), wobbly ATC, Roland's (and others) AI traffic, a few monuments, Glidernut has given me some weather files. What should we be doing now to make this a "finished" area on a level with the others? More buildings, more airports, better ATC, etc? There's only a few of us, and I think we need to concentrate our effort where it could be most effective.RobD.

Well airports and ATC are most important IMO :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks JimmiG! I guess that you, Jon and Steffen are the default sounds experts - how is the ATC work going? What new airports do we need? How many? I guess having Luton would be a great addition. And the two extreme airports of Lydd and Cardiff should be available soon. Is anyone still working on Bristol? LCA also will easily double the amount of scenery around the London area. RobD.

Guest Quaxo

I would like to see some other smaller airport, too. Something where you feel comfortable with a Cessna. I would like to see Goodwood and Lee-on-the-Solent :-) !ATC is very important too for me, I don't like all those fake messages. And someone should really fix the weather generation screen... ;-)Cristian

The one aspect that might persuade me to "join the UK-South fraternity" would be realistic terrain elevation. I am well aware that a large chunk of eastern England is relatively flat, but it isn't COMPLETELY flat. Also, places like Dartmoor are quite clearly "hilly" in reality :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rob,My original plan was to create new sound by "cutting and pasting" parts of the default sounds to form the new words. However, I have put that on hold. This method won't produce 100% perfect sounds. They don't always sound natural (they sound robotic) and not exactly like the word they are supposed to sound like, e.g "South-happen", "Plymoss" or "London Getwi" :-lol and it takes a lot of time and patience. Also it looks like some people are willing to record entirely new sounds which is really the best solution since that would give us a proper British accent and more variety in the voices.

MSFS / XP