Sign in to follow this  
Guest olympic2

Model Building for FU3

Guest olympic2

Hi, allRecently found an article from R Driscoll on Simple Models for FU3 put out around December 2002. As far as I can see the author is a Sydneyite (greetings from the Gold Coast) but I have lost track of the site where I got the file. My problem are as follows.Building the models is fine, but adding them to the GEN file does not seem to do anything so they cant be used. Also, where are all the scenery objects that appear in FU located in the program. FLED brings up heaps of objects for use, but somehow the objects I build just dont appear and there does not seem to be a way to get to the GEN folder from within FLED.Any thoughts appreciatd.

Any model (BIN) needs its texture (MIP) but I guess that you know the format. My guess is that you're unaware that model names need to end with a zero. I found out the hard way. For instance, conc_lca. bin may look fine in ModelView but when you put it in the GEN folder FLED won't see it. Rename it to conc_lca0.bin and FLED displays it as conc_lcaBy the same token, conc_lca10.bin will display as conc_lca1 and conc_lca30.bin will display as conc_lca3.Some models may look fine in ModelView but FLED crashes when you select them. I don't know why. Whatever you do, do not delete a BIN from the GEN folder or overwrite it with another BIN with the same name UNLESS it isn't being used by any package. To replace models, always delete them from the package in FLED before you swap them in GEN. The reason is that FLED remembers the old file (including file size) and will choke on a different one with the same name. MIPs can upgraded without deleting the model in FLED first, at least as long as the new MIP has the same file size. Thus, if your model's texture needs to be edited you can rework the GIF, make a new MIP in FixMip and let this one replace the previous one. The improved texture will "take" once the BIN calls its texture (MIP). best regards,Hans Petter

Guest olympic2

Hi, and thanksRed faces all round.Works fine with that "0" in place. The one thing that does puzzle me, is where does FU3 or FLED store those objects already in use in the program.My "GEN" folders in both Seattle and Sanfran contain practically nothing other than a "Litemaps"folder and the object I have now placed there.Guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time.Cheers

Just spelling it out -- the modelmip.tag is an archive or a cabinet that contains most of the original models. It is possible to extract these files but I haven't managed to pry a modelmip.tag open yet. Robert just made a new modelmip.tag for Seattle which includes all Seattle models to date. The main advantage to "zipping up" the BINs and MIPs is that you get a tidy package that includes all you need. The downside is that it's harder to access the individual models and you can't delete the ones you don't want to use. I wouldn't want an updated modelmip.tag for the UK yet since there are too many models being modified at the time. Further, as new models are being created all the time we'll never get an all-encompassing modelmip.tag.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Welcome along Olympic2! Great to hear from someone north of the border. There was someone else from Queensland in the forum a while ago - was it Sheldon?Well, other people seem to have answered your questions, so I'll just say hi, and if you want to contact me directly with any problems with model making, use the AVSIM email to write to me and I'm happy to help.And if you happen to make a Dreamworld or Waterworld or whatever, send'er up to the AVSIM library so we can all play rollercoaster!If you read through recent posts, you will see that we are trying to create a new scenery area for FU3, in England. There is an urgent need for new and better models, and if you are mastering this area, you would be most welcome to join the effort!All the best,RobD.

Guest olympic2

Hi Rob,Thanks and yes, I have gotten the answer I wanted.Pays to read the documentation though.Catch you soonFrank

Guest Robs

For Rob DCould you modelmip whatever sanfrans models (and seattle conversions) this would help to develop UK scenery...I know it would have to be updated.UK Rob.

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, but I believe Andre Meystre is working on this separately - it was his idea! And you are right - as soon as the new database is made, it will be out of date, but at least for a while will help simplify keeping us all in step.Agtim - before you publish a UK-South database, could you check with me as I think I have solved the problem of making the UK-South area completely independent of SanFran/Seattle - i.e. getting the trees and other objects from Seattle correctly exported to UK-South, and I need a few days to put this together to send to you. This will help Lundy Is and future developers.RobD.