Sign in to follow this  

Headsets

I have just been given a set of "Airlite 62" aviation headsets.I am thinking of connecting them to my computer. Before I go off and buy a suitable connector and blow up my sound card!!... Has any one done this before and survived??Paul.......:-wedge

Paul.Nice headset you got there.If this set is compatible with stereo equipment in general, I can not see why this cannot be uset on your computer, but I do not think the mic. will work:) I have used for several years different sets of stereo headphoneson different computers old and new and there is no problem with this.No complaints from my nabours flying with heavy noise.For the moment I am using the earplugs from a "walkman" plugged into the Pc-speakerplug, and this is working just fine.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Thanks for that Lars, the headsets are proper aviation headsets. This set was used by my Father over 10 years ago. I have looked them up on the net and they are also supplied as standard to the Royal Air force. They have 2 plugs fitted, one for the radio and one for the intercom. I dont want to start cutting plugs off them as may be one day I may get to use them for real. I intend to either buy or make up an addapter to be able to plug them into the computer. Since one can alter the volume of the engine and the radio on FU3 I thought they might enhance the illusion of real flying. unfortunatly I doubt they are stereo, more like 2 speaker mono.Paul.......:-shy

Yes.I will recommend leaving the set as it is with the original plugs.However if you have a computer shop where you live, they might be able to make an adapter for your computer for this headphones plugs.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest jonpoint

Paul,Airlite 62s are pretty common and dependable units. I'd probably prefer the lightness and fidelity of my stereo cans for home use but, if you want to use them, a simple adaptor is probably all that's required. Get the build numbers (and the photo) and email to , asking for a diagram. There are many different configs for these - see http://www.headsetservices.com/headsets/atc-hs.htmlAt least you don't have the durn 'NATO' plugs! You may be able to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor on the 'mono' socket and plug it straight into your sound card speaker socket. The 'stereo' plug is usually microphone (tip), PTT (ring) and common return. The headphones will generally be high-impedance and wired in series or parallel (not stereo).:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Thanks Jon,I went out to Maplins electronics and bought an adapter and it worked fine. I bought one for the mike plug but it turned out to be smaller. I expect this is to stop the jack pulgs being connected to the wrong socket in the aircraft. They are a bit stresfull to wear for long periods. I know all about that. During my Army service, for a period I was a radio operator in the back of an APC. I had to spend all day and most of the night with head sets on monitoring 3 radio nets at once. one in the left ear, one in the right and the main net in both!Paul.......:-eek