Sign in to follow this  
Guest qvdg

Aircraft modelling question

Guest qvdg

I have current built part of the Tigermoth, that is to say the fuselage and part of a wing (built of seperate objects). Currently it looks like it was built by a nearsighted drunken blacksmith but I learn as I go. I would like to know what it would look like even in its currently highly premature state rendered in FU3. What are the steps required to take a 3DS model to a FU3 aircraft model.Thanks, QvdG

Hi Quentin, ;) Je ne connais pas les

Guest R_Driscoll

"near sighted drunken blacksmith"? OK, unpanic. I am here to help.Based on my modelling career, here is the answer. Use cubes. Don't worry about all of these fancy corners and smooth aerodynamic shapes - make your fuselage brick shaped and your problems will go away. it works for skyscrapers and they're bigger than planes.Apart from that, I don't think I can help much. Sorry.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Quentin,Don't worry about the quality yet! My 3D models always start off with holes and misplaced polygons - in some ways it is an unavoidable part of working with BSP.EXE :-(Do you have textures yet, or do you just want to see it in white? This is actually good for checking polygon placement and I do it deliberately. If you want it in white, run bsp.exe from a DOS prompt (BSP.EXE and the 3ds file should be in the same folder for convenience). Type 'bsp' and hit . You will see a whole lot of switches and crap, most of which does nothing. Now, is you model scaled in metres? If so, type 'bsp filename.3ds' and hit . You should now have 'filename.bin'.If scaled in inches, type 'bsp filename.3ds -s.0254' and hit . You should now have 'filename.bin'.You will now be able to view it in Modelview and also import it into say, the Cub 65hp resfile using Resviewer. Look through the resources until you find the 3D models - just after the textures and before the cockpit. You should see two identical models in there somewhere. Import into each of those and you'll see the results immediately! You can even fly your unwinged biplane if you wish but rename the resfile (and aircraft name too) before putting in your 'plnpile' folder. It will just fly like the Cub but look, well... you know!Problems:No texture mapping is applied by BSP so texture #1 in the resfile is mapped to all (mapped) surfaces. This can make it hard to see details. It is possible to force BSP to map one colour to everything but the best method is to use a 'mat.txt' file and properly 'key' the textures into the resfile. If you have no textures yet, create a white bitmap in PSP or iMage (1x1 pixel is enough!) and replace the first resfile texture with it. Then you'll see the model better ;)I'll leave it there for now. Sometimes, this is the hardest part. Ask Ansgar or anyone who has done complete aircraft - what looks fine in 3DS/Anim8or/Gmax doesn't necessarily work with bsp but there is always a way, so don't give up!When you have a more complete model and textures, we'll attack that!PS Watch the texture count. I think 18 is about it, including the 3D cockpit (F4). You can use as many RGB-mapped textures as you want though.Best of luck :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Quentin,In addition to the above, and just in case you get a lot further real soon, when you wish to start texturing, take some 3-view screenshots of your wireframe model. Use these images to create initial textures from. Why? Well, it's really easy to apply them in 3DS/Anim8or etc because you just match the wires up, giving great placement resolution. Once applied, the aircraft itself and the textures can be done in isolation - when you get tired of texturing, go for a fly and play with the flight model. I do this all the time to keep my interest level above the confusion level ;)You need to decide NOW, what textures you will need. Think 'square' regarding texture files. We only have 256x256 available so, once you have your 3-views, try cutting and pasting them to use as much of the texture file as possible e.g. split the fuselage in half so the two halves can sit one above the other. Some authors prefer to use non-square images when confronted by this but that concept doesn't make the best use of the resolution available. Also, try not to 'stretch' images to fit but if it's unavoidable, do it. I did this with the GeeBee fuselage and got MUCH better-looking textures as a result :-)Right now, I am playing with textures for the Blanik but the one I fly looks like this (note the wireframe textures):http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25533.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25534.jpgAt this point, I don't have to go back to the 3D model for texturing as I know they will fit! When you have created the textures required, the next step is applying them in FU3 but I think that may be later, not sooner ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Bonjour Luc, effectivement je veux bien que tu me les envoies car je n'arrive pas

Hi Quentin,;) Il me faut juste ton adresse. Promis, je vais m'essayer aux captures d'images, cela vous permettra de saliver en attendant :-lol J'attends les b

Guest qvdg

Hi Jon, upon running 'bsp DH82.3ds' I get the following errorbsp: error ine file line 1MM! Unexpecting command blockAny ideas,Cheers, QvdG

Guest jonpoint

Quentin,Just love BSP, huh?Well, line 1 is pretty damning - it's the top line! The first line in files converted from 3DS to E is usually the name of the first subobject (i.e. Make sure, when cleaning-up the efile, you don't delete this. I always move it down to just under the texture list (where it probably should be) for clarity.Sometimes, BSP will have problems with an object if that object calls up textures that don't match the texture list.Email the efile to me and I'll have a look anyway.BTW, don't lose heart with BSP! Last night, I inserted an upgraded 3D model into the Blanik L13 (nee Stemme) and the darn spoiler texture ended-up all over the fuselage x( I checked the efile - it was fine and showed the right mapping so (@#&%$* BSP), I cut the fuselage entries from the efile and pasted it between the wings and reran BSP. Now, only the left side was wrong!! So, I cut it again and pasted near the end and voila! It took. Illogical huh? With the GeeBee, to get the wing wires working, I had to randomly alter their positions, one-by-one, until I got them all. Oh, I had to rename some of them too :-madAnyway, send me the file and I'll have a look ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Jone file ....er what e file all I have is the 3DS file which I will send you. Just don't laugh ;-)Cheers, QvdG

Guest jonpoint

Actually, I totally missed something here...You have to convert from 3DS to 'E' first :-lolSee your email ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Thanks Jon, I got it into modelview OKCheers, QvdG

Guest qvdg

Jon, After having imported into FU3 via resveiwer I found that all the polygons showed up (albeit misplaced by me). Is the fact that it is not rendered smoothly something to do with the lack of predefined textures (see below). The fact that it is parked at 100ft and lists to the left will have to be for another lesson ;-)Cheers, QvdG

Guest Ansgar

Hello Quentin,sorry if I "disturb" your discussion a bit, but I may can help you a bit?!First it should be so that you can see that sharp polygon edges (as noticable in your preview pic) also in the 3dmax preview yes?If yes - there is in 3dmax/gmax a complex smooth filtering function where you can select groups of polygons, and smooth their surfaces together with an specific filter factor.You can reach this over the following menu at the 3dmax command panel (at the right side):->Modify->Selection->"Face" activated->Surface Properties->Smoothing groupsHere you can combine selected faces and smooth them. This allows you to smooth only polygons/faces which belongs to each other.For a first test you should select all parts of your plane go to "modify" and activate "face" option until it

Guest qvdg

Hi Ansgar, Thanks for your welcome input. As you can see I am still at kindergarten level whilst you and Jon are already have your aircraft modelling PhD's.Firstly I am using anim8or not 3DSMax nor Gmax. In fact under anim8or it looks quite smooth (even before "render preview) not at all like in the above screen capture. I was very surprised because I have a tendency to use too many rather than not enough polygons. I am a little perplexed. I thought maybe it was something to do with an option in BSP. I wanted to do this test very early on (ie put a rough model into FU3) to see where I was going. I know that I will have to throw much away and start again but I am ready to do this if I can be assured that the end result is going to be of good quality. If you like I can send you the 3DS model to see if you have the same problem.Cheers, QvdG