Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Compatibility problems with Seattle 2003 and OT scenery

I know that many users of FU3 that have the outer terrain scenery installed have problems when using all of the packages in my Seattle 2003 pack. This is almost certainly due to having too many airport icons in the Seattle and OT areas combined. What I would like to know is this:-HOW MANY AIRFIELDS DO YOU NEED TO REMOVE TO GET THE REST TO WORK PROPERLY ?I have already removed the FLYING H RANCH package from the upcoming Seattle 2004, and I am also VERY LIKELY to remove the PACEMAKER LZ package, since this clashes with one of LGS' "extra" airports (I am keeping the package, since it is being extensively upgraded. If anyone still wants this after Seattle 2004 is released, then I would be happy to send it to them via e-mail). That makes a reduction of two airfields, but I suspect that at least four may be required.Now I'm going to suggest something that some FU3 users may not agree with. Rather than removing any more of my new packages (which are obviously completely indispensable ;-) ), I would suggest deleting two of the EXISTING airfields. These are DAVIS and BANDERA STATE, and I'm going to tell you why.Firstly, DAVIS. I have always considered this particular airfield to be, er.......****. The terrain textures look bright white and blue, and are therefore ugly. Get rid of it. :-)Secondly, BANDERA STATE. Where is the runway ? Well, the terrain textures have been edited here for some unexplainable reason, so....er....there isn't one. Without a runway, you cannot land. QED.Right, so that makes FOUR airfield removals. The question is, "is that enough ?"Comments welcome.Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. The modified AIRSPACE.txt and AIPLAN.txt files in SEATTLE 2004 take care of the two airfield removals mentioned above.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,These are fine with me. I agree about Davis and Bandera - I don't use them either!Some may suggest others. I remove a few more than this anyway, dpending on where I am going.:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Robs

Chris I have OT installed (but I am coming around to your idea of ditching it! But I keep it to try long distance nav'ing)I have seattle 2002 and san fran 2002In seattle, I removed blue ribbon, frontier airpark, auburn academy and flying H..... well converted them to points of interest! This works for me. Perhaps you could provide the low grade airports as pois.In san fran I took out Angel Island, golden gate , belvedere and presidio as the freeze is frustrating.....and my poor machine starts panting.I probably would have cut a few more trees down at ranger creek as this for me is an important glider field and gliders have long wings...don't get me wrong I love trees (don't hug 'em tho') but I think ve lost too many wing tips at Ranger...I have downloaded the upgrades to 2003 spec but haven't installed yet as I am saving them for a treat when I finish Filton.... (got my systeem working again - Fled works best in 800x600 virually no crashes in this vid mode!!!)Hope this is useful!Robs.

Rob,I have deleted the following packages in SanFran 2004:-BELVEDERE ISLANDBUENA VISTA PARKCOIT TOWERLAKE MERRITTMOUNTAIN LAKESTRAWBERRY POINTI have also reduced the number of trees in the MARIN HEADLANDS package. This means that I can now have the ANGEL ISLAND and PRESIDIO packages installed, and still only get a three second freeze after take-off (which is more acceptable than ten seconds). Adding the GOLDEN GATE PARK package will increase the freeze to seven seconds, so I generally do not have this one installed.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Chris,Could you check you can get a glider around the Ranger Creek and similar airfields in the hills?Trees close to the runway can be a hazard and spoil enjoyment at these sites!It is annoying to have the packages freeze...is it object count or object polygons...if you could get lots of trees as one model the perhaps you can do instant forest with very little freeze!I do like the packages with lots of trees...has to be a way!Rob.

Rob,I am not sure if it is the number of objects, or the total polygon count. However, the fact that the lines and nodes at McChord AFB and SeaTac in the Seattle area cause a similar problem suggests a "number of separate bits" problem.As for Ranger Creek, I have modified the trees here, but there are still plenty close to the taxiway. Are they too close to the runway here ? I'm pretty sure that there were default trees that were just as close. Anyway, if it's the taxiway that's the problem, then I have a solution.USE THE RUNWAY AS A TAXIWAY :-)Having said that, I will see what it is like to move around at Ranger Creek with the Stemme. I have never used this plane, which is probably why the huge wingspan is never considered when I am upgrading airfields.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Rob, there are several multiple tree models. I have corrected the MIPs for the Bazza trees - removed the halo effect and coloured them correctly, and Glidernut has them now but I didn't publicly post them, Also there are the mass trees used at Southampton (but these were without textures). It would certainly be easy to make new mass tree groupings if there was demand - I would defer to Jon on this as our local dendrologist.RobD.