Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hess

Very Early Preview of Things to Come

I have a long way to go yet, but just wanted to to see what's on my plate. An updated Baron panel, the Big Red panel, and a new Kingair panel.

Outstanding quality, Steve. Thank you for your efforts.

Very nice indeed, Steve. Just remember what I said about the VFR cockpit..... :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to try them :D

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

Planes have developed to a very high level now in FU3, and the amazing cockpits are a large part of this.I have been flying Daniel Biosca's Baron - which is an amalgamation of several people's contributions - your panels, Angsar's plane model, Hennie's sounds etc - this is a delightful little plane for sightseeing. Its always a shock to go from the little Pipers (where you spend the first few continents building up to speed), to the Baron (where you're in low Earth orbit before you've cleared the end of the runway), but at the moment its combination of maneouvrability and power make it my plane of choice. For longer cruises, I would choose the Dash 8 or DC3. And for very long cruises (eg to Clare Valley), the 747. For mountain flights, I like the little Cessna 172s or 182s, or the Cub. Why? Because I want that underpowered feel of struggling with the mountains. For fishing trips in the mountain, my choice of colour in a Beaver or Renegade (but I hate real fishing). Gliding - very little choice, the incomplete Grob or the default Stemme. Why does no one build us a new type of glider? You lazy plane modellers.Also one feature I really love is the transparent cockpits , with Ansgar's Baron, Jon's planes, and the Cub and a few others, - this is one design feature that I treasure.So you plane engineers are an amazing bunch, and congratulations to you all for keeping this side of the Sim afloat! So much choice, so much high quality. Well done. Never, in the history of sim aviation, have so few owed so much to so many.RobD.

Guest Robs

I like the cub...its very basic...really the small plane handling is what FU3 is all about for me ...and the Gliding...I wish someone could put in a pilot in the cub or black out the windows....an empty cockpit is annoying.Has anyone managed to fly the little focker yet? Does the flight engine allow for a camel that won't turn left and is either on full throttle or stalled??? (and converting pitch into yaw and vice versa)Robs

Guest Stearman

>I have a long way to go yet, but just wanted to to see what's>on my plate. An updated Baron panel, the Big Red panel, and a>new Kingair panel.Hi Steve, your words are music to my ears, as usual :-)Talking about music... what happened to that old & cherished CD unit? I will miss it anyway: since I much prefer listening to music while flying, somehow I got used to fit that CD into the unit before every flight :-hahThanks in advance, best regards.

I just got "attachments no longer available" as I wanted to check out the screenshots once more. Two days? That was short-lived.Anyway, when I saw the new Kingair panel I launched a flight with the current one. I've always liked this panel since I find the view (distance from panel / over-the-panel-view) to be quite realistic. The upcoming version seems to provide a view from further back. I'm hinting at a general flightsim issue here -- real pilots sit 20 inches behind real panels. Flightsim panels, however, tend to provide a "jumpseat perspective" since it's the only way to to include all of the gauges in a "flat" 2D view. While real pilots look down to read the gauges all of our gauges have to be straight in front of us. Just make sure that we get a low panel view that provides enough forward view for landing while flying a proper glideslope :-) best regards,Hans Petter

Good, another supporter of low VFR panels :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes Chris, but with a proper "head tilt" most panels provide enough view, even the IFR version. I just checked my flight3.cfg and it readshead_tilt 359last_command head_tilt -5A proper head tilt or eye point is one where you can see a strip of land in front of the plane when using the IFR panel. If you see only sky you'd want to knock it down a bit. Then, as you approach an airport for landing (coming straight in on final) you get a better view than you get on the ground. Just fixate on the point of the runway where you want to touch down and keep it right above the panel. If it sinks below the panel you'll overshoot unless you throttle down -- if it rises up you'll come in short unless you throttle up.Isn't it strange how threads tend to digress? :-)Hans Petter

Er....yeah, right...........but wouldn't it be easier to just create a VFR panel that doesn't block too much of the view ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

...except that it leaves less space for the panel gauges. I like to see the airspeed indicator, compass and vertical speed indicator. With the "Low" version of the Kingair panel we got a non-operational compass. With my head tilt setting the standard VFR was low enough.Hans Petter

Hans,If I want to see everything, then I use the IFR panel ;-)With respect to your three indicators, I generally only need two (the airspeed indicator and the compass), since I judge descent rate and altitude almost entirely by looking out of the window. This probably results in slightly more work with the throttle than you "real pilots" are used to, but then you are all aware by now that I have a technique all of my own :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. I even fly Ansgar's 747 in the same way that I fly the Baron. I can just imagine you lot in the passenger cabin, scratching your heads as we cruise through San Francisco airspace at 160 knots and 20 degrees of flaps.....and level out at 3000 feet :-lol

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png