Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

UK models (sanfran palette)

Since I've repalettized a lot of Seattle models and made a few new ones for the UK it would be a good idea to upload them. The easiest for me would be to upload my entire UK south GEN but I just noticed that it comes out as 18.5 MB zipped. Evidently, most of these are files that you have already but a total upload would ensure that I don't make any mistakes and inadvertenly cull some new models (BINs or MIPs).I'd appreciate some feedback on this since I've grown pretty insensitive to file sizes myself since I got broadband :-)Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hi Hans Petter,Since I got broadband I've grown insensitive to file sizes as well.I sergest that you only uplode your new and repaleted models, not justbicous of the big file sizes, but bicous it would be almost imposiblfor the rest of us to know what new or repalated models we would bereseeving.I apresheeate how dificalt it is for you to avoid makeing mistakes, but its even harder for aneone els to keep trak of what models hav been uploded.Hear is a list of all the UK-South models that hav been uploded so far. I hav strugaled aganst all ods to keep this list up to date.Iv got 4 peopl sending me models and lists to chek out, but I carnt use them or add them to the list bicous thay hav not been published yet.All this cheking and cros cheking is driving me nuts.If you dont use the list, then ther is no point in having a list.But If you uplode all your GEN models, then thats OK with me, I dont mined.I think having any new or repalated models is far mor important thanany list.I would like to drop keepink the list, and be abel to play in my GENlike eveyone els dus.glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

With Hans Petter's work we are close now to having all models available in ALL areas in their correct colours. This is an important breakthrough, and should make it possible for developers to use the models without worrying about whether that model is available or not. SUGGESTION:For the Seattle region, I will not try to make any substantial changes to the model list, as this region changes little with time. If you have downloaded the new database and the small upgrade, that should be sufficient for some time. For San Francisco: I remodelled the Seattle models for this as an upload to AVSIM many moons ago, but it seems to have been forgotten. My plan here is to make a new modelmip.tag for San Fran which makes available all models from all regions for San Fran. About a week away I guess. I will do this very simply - no exceptions, all models (including custom-built specific ones) thrown into the same database - its just easier for users to follow. SO if you want to cross the Bay using London Bridge instead of GG, it will be possible (I am just trying to make this as simple as possible). I expect the resulting database will be quite big, but no bigger than ordinary game datafiles have been for a decade - and FU3 can handle these files easily.And the same for UK-South - I would like to work with agtim to see if we can make a suitable super database here as well - I have changed my mind about having some models kept out so that they can be later improved - its just too messy for users to keep track of. The only exceptions will be Jon's trees since they don't follow the naming convention of modelmip.tag - and so will always be "special".This must not stop developers making new models, which can simply be dumped into the appropriate directory as part of the installation process for new packages. In 2 years time if necessary, we simply repeat the process of clean-up.If I can do this, it would mean that 6 new modelmip.tag databases become available on AVSIM, and by downloading these and installing them, you would instantly become uptodate with all scenery models. Developers still need to know what models are available and where to find them. If glidernut doesn't mind, I would be happy to take over maintenance of the model list, and time permitting, I would like to try and make a developers' model list which lists models by category, eg hangars, transport, radars, runway markers, taxiways or whatever, so you could search for what you want.Quick feedback appreciated, as at present I am free of model-making commitments and can implement this quite quickly. Was the Seattle database a help? Were there problems? What things do you find difficult at the moment about using models in packages? Will these suggestions help or hinder?RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Dear All,As people are compiling model lists, I have some bits which I've sent to individuals over time but not released. One or two of these may be released in Chris's new packages but, do you feel I should upload them to Avsim so you wonderful folk can include them as you wish?As you know, like Chris (and RobD), I don't like just uploading one or two but now I have a few, it's probably worth it. The models I have are:Small tyre in black or white - good for parking spots.Medium (truck) tyre in black or white - again, for parking spots and probably taxiways.Large (tractor) tyre in black or white - also good for runway markers as you can see them from ~1000ft.Log3 - yep, another log. Square and not quite as large as Rob's 'clog'.Lunak glider - in straight (flying) and leaned-over (parked or thermalling) versions.Blanik L13 glider - again in two versions.Runway markers - as previously released but larger. The original ones released were scale size but too hard to see sometimes - these ones are obvious!Portable toilet(!) - I did this for the racing package but never used it!Power transmission towers - all through the Seattle region are large clearings which, in real life are powerline corridors. I got tired of seeing them 'bare' and did these 250' towers for them. IMHO, they interrupt the skyline just right. Sorry, no wires! One version with clearance lights as well.All these are for both regions. A few don't use mipfiles (markers, gliders) and so are universal - with a twist. The Lunak appears blue in Seattle and red in Sanfran/UK! The Blanik is silver with blue details in Seattle and black in Sanfran/UK. Why not red? Dunno!Please let me know and I'll upload them this week.:-waveJonathan Point***********************effyouthree@hotmail.com***********************

Jon,Those power transmission towers......have you not released them ? If not, then send me the models via e-mail...please :-) I had noticed those long, straight clearings in the trees when working in FLED, and I realised that they must be due to the presence of powerlines. It would be nice to add a few of those in the future, or possibly now if any are near a few of my airfields ;-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Me too! I was just about trying to construct a tower for the LCA and you may have exactly what I need already. If you don't mind I would appreciate the e file and the gif(s) too, in case the size, hue or layout isn't correct for my application. If I modify the tower in any way I'll name it as something else (probably "your name" + 1) and send it back.Regarding the unabridged, all-encompassing modelmip.tag this illustrates why I'm always inclined to wait a bit :-) As the UK is concerned it might be an idea to create the new modelmip.tag as the LCA and Cardiff are released. Then, the question is whether we want to include the UK models in the sanfran modelmip.tag. A lot of the models would be useful since Americans use a lot of brick houses too. Granted, the west coasthas a modernist architecture while the northeast has entire towns and suburbs that look like Britain. Even so, californians mix styles unabashedly and may put "ye olde English tavern" right next to a skyscraper (or a sphinx for that matter :-)).best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, that makes sense as a lot of new models will become available through those two packages. But its not necessary to wait for all of the modelling to finish, as newer models can simply be dumped in the directory next to the super-tags. So its a tidy up exercise, but its not trying to stop anyone (like you) from making models! Assuming that LCA and Cardiff are close to release, I will wait to make sure all of these models are included.RobD.