Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Model confusion

I'm getting a bit confused regarding which extra models will be necessary to include in my Seattle 2004 and SanFran 2004 packages (with permission, of course). I assume that any logs, tyres, fences, fuel tanks, light towers etc. that are not FU3 default will need to be included ? I am not sure that I have thought out this aspect very clearly in the past, and I want to get it right this time.Also, can everyone see the lighthouse models in the Seattle region ? In particular, can these be seen if you do NOT have the SanFran scenery installed ? Since they are part of the SanFran model set, is this a requirement for the models to be seen at all ?I don't really want to go insane, so any clarification regarding this would be greatly appreciated :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I believe that one either has to use Adam's GEN swapping trick or have them in a repalettized version. I'm going to upload a lot of Seattle models repalletized to the sanfran palette now. I use some of them for the UK and since I have a totally separate instance of FU3 for this one (no Seattle or Sanfran) I prefer repalettized models. Please download them -- you may want to use some of them for future sanfran packages. The same goes for the upcoming new models for the UK -- since they're all sanfran palette they may be used for that region as well.Now to the point, you may easily repalettize the sanfran lighthouses with Robert's latest FixMip. If you prefer me to do it I'll look into it on Friday. Just tell me which ones you use (name of the *.BINs).Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Chris,Here's my cut. Considering that you KNOW that you are using previously-unreleased models, it makes sense to include them with your packages (at least the tyres and logs). People can choose whether or not to use them (missing binfiles are fine, it's missing mipfiles that crash FU3 - if you don't have the binfile, you don't need the mipfile!)As far as the rest of the models go, if they are included in RobD's updated file then you probably should save on the bandwidth. Your package sets are quite large already and I suppose any space you can save is worth it ;) I don't see anything wrong with you stating in the package release that users must download and install certain files first, as long as you can post their Avsim filenames. As to the lighthouses, I played with some about a year ago, trying to get a good, spinning light effect. Problem is, FU3 cuts them off at some distance which makes them little use as night-time props. I also tried combining night lighting with them too but again, disappointment :-( I mean, a lighthouse should be able to be seen BEFORE any shore lights appear on the horizon, in my seagoing experience.Right now, if there was one 'engine-related' fix I would like is to include a line in the cfg file for 'lighting brightness', as opposed to 'beacon brightness'. I'm not suggesting that we should wind-up ALL the night lights on the ground (it would be nice though, instead of having them suddenly turn on below you), just aircraft lights, navigation beacons and anything us modellers may implement using modlight.exe. When I went to do some screenshots of the Dash-8 landing at night, I was very disappointed by how close one had to be to even see the lights were on.PS Speaking of unreleased models, check your email!:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Jon, the little red "modlight" lights on buildings are too small! With the UK LCA airport, I ended up using group of four lights close together to get sufficient light. Maybe this could be done for the Dash 8 or Jumbos?By the way, I flew your Dashed 8 across England last night - I was supposed to be making a foreshore apartment block for Hans, but just needed to get out of the editor and go for a fly. Stormy weather - starting from Plymouth, 5000 ft until I hit the storm front (just on sunset), then hedgehopping to stay below the worst of the weather until I reached Heathrow. I was a bit slow on approach (no ILS on the righthand 27R anyway) so high AOA and low visibility, so after touchdown, I lost control a bit and ground-looped. How embarassing. But the weather effects were wonderful again - I have tinkered some more with the settings and generally its pretty good. The only major problem I have with the graphics is the shading of the cumulus clouds where you get that distinct banding of white to grey. I'll try and put up a photo sometime to show what I mean.Robert.

Hedgehopping, eh Robert ? I hope that you were doing this properly ? You know, high angle of attack.......decent degree of flaps......low cruise speed.......no trimming.... :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

No Chris - I just don't have the required skills for this slow stuff - too challenging by far. But I bet my groundloops are more spectacular than yours!I'll put some pics on another thread to show some of the trip.RobD.