Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Identification lights

No, I'm not talking about aircraft here. This refers to those towers with the flashing lights on them at small airfields. Not every airfield has one in the default install of FU3, but I would like to know if they should. If not, then does anyone know if there is a reason why certain airfields have them but others do not ? Are they only located at airfields that are authorised for nocturnal activities ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,In reality, the green/white alternating light is normally only used at controlled airports (that I have seen). However, in FU3 they seem to have used them for some of the uncontrolled airports as well. My cut is that any airport without ANY nightlighting shouldn't have them, as you wouldn't need to know the airport was there if you couldn't safely use it!My old local certainly had no green light (and no other lights either) but had a set of poles at each end of the runway, with red lights on them. They were actually clearance towers for power lines (I released models of these in my 'Model City' package some time ago). Croppies and other locals relied on these lights at dawn and dusk when you COULD see the strip but you could line-up the two sets of lights for a more accurate approach.BTW, even though unlit, this strip serviced everything from croppies to DC3s, F27s, Queenairs, Kingairs, Learjets and even a Vickers Viscount with an engine problem ;) Bottom line? Remove green lights from airports with no lighting. It makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

OK John, I will not add those light towers to any airfield that doesn't have runway lighting. Thanks for the information.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png