Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

O/T - The Farnborough Airshow is on!!!!

I will be going to the UK for 6 weeks in early July from Australia - swapping houses with friends near Portsmouth Hampshire. I have been trying to find out if there are any events worth attending .NOW -- I find that the Farnborough Airshow is on!!!! EXCITEMENT!!!!!! I used to watch this show on B&W TV when TV first came out here to Brisbane Australia in 1956. Has anybody been to it? I can imagine that it must be VERY crowded -- has anybody got any advice for me? Our annual airshow at the RAAF Amberley airbase is absolutely packed - so I cant really imagine how busy this will be.Thanks barry

Guest Aidi

BarryIf your going to be in the UK in July, you might want to also condisder getting to the Royal International Air Tattoo. Where as Farnbrough is a great show, I think you would find the "RIAT" something you should add to your calender. Its at a USAF base at Fairford (Just outside of Swindon)Keep it in mind!http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

I haven't been there since 86, but I will say that it was the largest exhibition I'd ever seen. I was there on business with a specific objective, so the touring side of the show wasn't my focus, but do plan to spend several days if the buisness side of things is your focus. While I enjoyed the airshow itself, I couldn't say that it was so unique that I'd travel cross the pond just for the flying. One cool thing, at least back then, the rules in Europe for proximity to the audience were different than here in the states so I remember getting a spectacular view.Bob Bernstein

Lucky you, Bazza! I drove out to the Farnborough airfieldin early May. No much going on then. I wish I could see theshow. You gotta go!Peter Sydney Australia

Two bits of advise1. Get there early to avoid the traffic jams2. Pray for good weather!RegardsBarry

Guest Paul_W

Well, this isn't about the air show, but since I lived in Portsmouth for three years I can give you a couple of suggestions. Try lunch at the Churchillian pub (assuming it's still there...) on Portsdown Hill just to the north of Portsmouth; you'll have a fine panoramic view of the city and the naval docks. Then on a Friday afternoon you might want to visit the waterfront in Old Portsmouth. If you take the short walk along the top from Penny Street down to the harbor point you'll have a grandstand view of the navy ships and submarines sailing into port for the week-end. And if you don't see any of those, at least you should see the British Rail ferry passing by on its way out to Ryde!

Barry,I live a couple of miles north of Farnborough and have attended every show since the 80's. My advice!!1. Use public transport. - Portsmouth Harbour trains go to London Waterloo then there is a fast service to Farnborough from there. Takes about 35 mins from Waterloo. Or drive to Southampton and get the train direct to farnborough from there. 2.If you want the best photo opportunities then you need to be very early I mean queing by 7am.Also it means you get better pics of the static displays. By midday all the static display is swamped by the public, so difficult to get god pics.3.Get your tickets before you go. The Fanborough airshow website has details on these.4.Final tip is if there is any way you can get up to see the flying display on the trade days it is well worth it. The pilots give that extra bit on these days trying to impress prospective buyers. Other showsThe Duxford Flying Legends show is definatly woth a trip. Up the M11 towards Cambridge. About 3 hours drive from Portsmouth. Again get there early. I usually turn up at 6am, but I get a fantastic spot for pics. B17's, Spifires, Hurricanes, Hellcats, they are all there. A brilliant day out. A chance to see these old WWII beauties in all their glory. DATE 13th-14th JULYThe IAT is one for the modern fighters, but definaltly worth going to. I find this the worst for traffic though!!Finally, remember its summer in July in England so bring your coat and scarves and the trusty umbrella.RegardsMiles

>Finally, remember its summer in July in England so bring >your coat and scarves and the trusty umbrella. Thanks for the advice Miles --- but I live in Australia and I don't own any coats,scarves or umbrellas!! :)Barry