Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

Dome of Doom

Guest andy9164

Can anybody point in which package the London Dome is in, or even send me the Gen files (bin and mips please)I thought on a recent evening flight that City airport had been overrun by beings from outerspace but as I approached realised my dome had turned a lovely shade of luminous green. Whatever I do I cant seem to get it back to its natural colour so either I overwrote something by mistake or one of my files has got corrupted.Please either attach to a post or send to my e-mailandy@therowsons.freeserve.co.ukThanksAndy

Guest R_Driscoll

Did it lift off the ground, or make any Dr Who noises?The dome is on your distribution disk from Cristian - its in the UKS package but on the distribution disk is probably in a GEN folder - I forget how Cristian set this up.If you can't find it, give me a call again and I'll send you a copy.I'll have to get it from home (I'm at work).Green? Ughh. Pesky aliens.

Guest andy9164

I don't know how they've done it, bur they've taken my Houses of Parliment with them. Is that a UFO, a green jelly or have I been drinking too much of that good old Australian Shiraz again. See pictures.Thanks Rob

Guest jonpoint

Now, lishen here, buddy!S'nuffin wrong wiv gud ol' Orstrayleean Shiraz (that's why they named it thus - it still sounds the same when you are drunk). Beshides, I find everthing goshe shorta greyish - jusht bifore I wake up the nexshed day :~PAszh to thu' green dome, I think itch wun of dose par.. pally.. parly.. (durn) palettey fings where a model takesh the seen.. sheen.. skeen.. er, sheenery and model paletsh and mixshes them up!Now, ef ya wanna good whine, Cham... Sham... Camb... Chambourcin(!) is a drop I'm growing fond of - a good Hunter Valley Cham.. (you know) ish real nishe :9 Anyone want a drop?Now, wheresh that thermal gone :-blaJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Andy,Is Big Ben a separate model from the Houses of Parliament ? If so, then this looks suspiciously like the result of a FLED freeze, followed by lost files when ScanDisk does its stuff. This happens to me occasionally........I lost the models at San Francisco International one time, but fortunately I was watching ScanDisk at the time, and the particular model file was displayed (something like a0aa.mod), so I simply copied this over from the install directory on the hard disk (I copied the entire contents of the CD's over to temporay directories on the hard disk before installing FU3; it was the only way that I could get it to install properly).As a general piece of advice for anyone using FLED, I would recommend letting ScanDisk check the hard disk EVERY time that your PC requires rebooting after a FLED freeze.....and watch the checking process. If anything has gone amiss, you might be able to see which files have been corrupted.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Chris,Yes it is a seperate model and yes Fled has crashed many many times but it never crahses my PC so it wouldn't run Scandisk....I dont think!!One thought I had was missing pallettes. I have UK South as a seperate install on my PC. Last night I made a model in Seattle Pallette and that was textured incorrectly as well. I remapped it to San Fran Pallett and hey presto the model was correct.So, what pallette is used for UK, should I be able to see models made in both pallettes in UK South and is this why my Dome is doomed as it is the only model made in the wrong pallette. If there is a pallette missing, where do I look to find out. Oh so many questions!!.Andy

Andy,I want to get this clear here. When FLED crashes on your PC, what exactly happens ? There are two possibilities on my system. The first involves an error message advising that FLED needs to be shut down. This dumps me back to the desktop. However, I still need to reboot the PC, because the same error message keeps appearing. This does not involve ScanDisk, since it only requires a normal shutdown and restart.The other possibility involves the mouse pointer freezing when working in FLED. Are you saying that you NEVER have this problem ? If you do, then how do you avoid a reset of your PC when you can't actually do anything on the screen ?I would be very interested to read your answers, because I still have no clear idea if ALL FLED users suffer from the same problems that I do. Comments from any other users of FLED would also be extremely welcome.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Chris,The only problem (quite frequently) I seem to suffer is that when I save or sometimes exit it doesn't and I get an error message from Windows asking me if I want to send them an error report, which I never do. This puts me back on the Desktop and then I can open Fled and work away till the next time. Sorry to say I never have complete lockouts or freezes or PC crashes with Fled. I am running XP Home on Athlon 1800+, 512 Meg Ram, GeForce Ti400, Soundblaster 5.1 live.Sorry, but I seem to be the only one around here that doesn't have any major problems with XP.Andy

Andy,Windows XP isn't the cause of the "mouse pointer freeze" problem. I experienced this with Windows ME. Now that you have told me that you don't have this freezing problem, I am even more curious to know what every other "FLED programmer" experiences. So, get those answers flooding in guys !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

When placing models in Fled, my mous cerser changes froman arrow to a cros-hairs cerser.This is normal, but with my Fled it will not change back agen!Even after closeing Fled, on the desk-top or in other programs,I still hav the cros-hairs cerser!The only way I can get rid of the cros-hairs cerser, or changeit back to an arrow, is by rebooting.Windows XP glidernut.

Guest glidernut

Chris Low,There are several levals of ScanDisk, not only the levalsthat you hav a choice of when you use ScanDisk on its owne.My old win98 could not be rebooted or restarted with out it involving ScanDisk.Even if only for a fyou seconds.glidernut.

Guest andy9164

Glidernut,I get the target cursor problem as well even when exiting FLED.You don't have to reboot. Go to the Start Menu, Settings, Control Panel, Mouse, then click on the Pointers tab and then select a scheme (I use none to get the basic pointers). Saves the reboot, more time to fly.AndyP.S. Can anybody answer my pallette question at the start of the thread.

John,Yes, I also get that problem. However, it doesn't affect my ability to use FLED. The mouse pointer "freeze" most certainly does. Do you experience this at all ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Andy, regarding the palette the UK region uses the sanfran palette. Anything sanfran will look good in the UK. Further, with Robert's latest FixMip you may scoop any Seattle models you want, repalettize them to the sanfran palette and put them in the UK (or sanfran) GEN. I uploaded a whole bunch of repalettized models about a week ago. Some of them are being used in our soon-to-be-released London City package. In the meantime you may download it and use some of the apartment buildings for other UK packages. A lot of new brick houses will be uploaded with the LCA package within a few days.Chris, the only kind of FLED freeze I ever see is an error message the moment I hit "save". A box says error so and so and FLED will close down. So I close it. As I re-launch FLED (no reboot ever required with Win 2000) everything has been saved, despite the error message. I save it once more just to make sure that it's all working properly. It's pesky for sure but it hasn't ruined anything. The main challenge has been to avoid "sweeping models under the rug" as they're being repositioned. As you know, if they have been placed on one megatile and are being moved across to an adjacent one they may disappear. If I see a model going funny as I move it I pull it back, delete it and place another instance of it on the other megatile. Andy, your missing models may in fact have been "swept under the rug". Sometimes they'll show from some angles. If this is the case, grab them in FLED and pull them back to the megatile unto which they were originally placed. Thus, the only time FLED bombs out is when I try to save. In fact, I may keep adding and moving models for hours and everything's fine until the moment I hit "save". best regards,Hans Petter

Hans,That is very strange. Am I the only person who suffers from the mouse freeze problem ? I cannot emphasise enough just how frustrating and time consuming this problem really is. I have suffered from this ever since I started using FLED over two years ago. During this time, I have experienced hundreds (and very probably THOUSANDS) of "freezes" that require a complete system reboot. Add to this the fact that all of the work that I have done since my last save has been LOST if this happens, and you may just start to appreciate what I have to put up with. Sometimes, this freeze occurs before I have even got a package OPENED :-eekJust try to imagine what it must have been like for me when I was upgrading all of those large airports in the Seattle region. Bear in mind here that the "freezes" are at their worst when deleting objects or nodes. Since I almost completely reconstructed these airports, I deleted hundreds of nodes and lines, and replaced them with new ones. When I look back at all of the work that I have done in FLED, I cannot believe how I ever got it done. The amount of freezes and crashes that I had to endure was a NIGHTMARE !Even my latest upgrade work has been inundated with freezes, although not as bad as when I reconstructed the airports.Does ANYONE else know what I am talking about here ? Surely I am not the only person who suffers from these mouse freezes ? If I am, then someone "up there" must really hate me :-)Make no mistake here. Any frustration that you may feel when FLED crashes to the desktop is INSIGNIFICANT compared to the "mouse pointer freeze" problem. You are so lucky that you don't have to put up with this. It's enough to drive someone mentally insane :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png