Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robs

Pros and cons of Fly! ?

Guest Robs

Hi All,I have heard all about the pros and cons of fu3 compare to MS FS2002 (and 2004) etc...but noone has mentioned Fly! IIIs it any good, how does it compare to FU3?Scenery, flight models etc...Lots of people seem to write add ons much like FU3....Is it worth tracking down a copy of fly II?Opinions please....no abuse!

Yup You will need to patch it(the patch is available here at avsim)but if you can find it in the "bargan bin" then go for it. Out of the box there is not a lot of scenery for it but 1 you can add you very own with terrascene(easy to do) or you can download some here at avsim. Also you can add 3D models with Terramodels(by Allen Kriseman I beleve) and that as well is easy to use as it's fully hooked into Fly's editor so you can just drag and drop your models via the editor(way cool) Like FU3 it's too bad that the publisherslet the product fall by the wayside but again like FU3 it's a Very good product. Go over the the Fly! forum and have a look around they won't bite!. Dan

Guest otter55

not trying to creat a flame war or offend anyone but flyII in no way compares to fu2/3.out of the box it is/was unusable by most buyers.out of the box it was/is far inferior to the original fly which had its own serious problems.if you are a flight sim "repair junkie", i.e. "one who prefers tinkering with a sim vs flying the sim" then the fly series is definitely for you.i much prefer to fly a troublefree sim and fu2/3 fs2002/2004 have provided me with troublefree service.don

Guest Motormouse

Here's my opinion re Fly!2 (which I have,waiting for a better system)If you can find it,get it,BUT you will need a really high spec graphics card to see the photo realistic terrain.3d models out of the box are not particularly well done,several add-ons are available (check out avsim library) that are much better,but you do get an interesting choice.Cockpits are works of art,nearly every switch is modelled and functions as advertised,but the continual scrolling as you move the mouse around can be frustrating,just when you get the view you like,someone jiggles the mouse (solution,get a track ball)Flight models are OK,better than MSFS not as good as FUIIIWeather is better if you use 'infometar', and Jure Dolanec and Bjorn Karlsson's sky and cloud mods.and finally,be prepared to download lots of MB's in patches to get whichever box version you find up to spec. The Fly! forum here at Avsim will help in your getting the right patch installed. Like it says above on some systems,it won't even run straight out of the box.The European release does work out of the box as it includes a self patching utility.:-wavePete