Sign in to follow this  

Disappearing runway lights?

Hallo!After some time with X-Plane and recently FS2004 I just rediscovered my old FUIII and I love it again. The atmosphere/mood is so great and unique!But I have a question concerning the runway lights at night. I just can see them being very close to an airport. Some lights appear some of them don't! Very unsteady thing.I remember having read it is related to the patch. (me using geforceFX + fu3depat.exe)So do I have to live with that or is it only my computer or is there a solution to this or...?Would be nice to get a response.Thanks!PS: Ah, the same thing with runway markings!

Guest Ansgar

Hello Musikai,first a nice welcome here in our beloved FU3 community! Enjoy all the nice and detailed addon

Guest Quaxo

Hello,I can't help you much either, but I'm curious: when you say some lights appear and some don't, do you mean that some airports are lit and some not? Or in a given airport, some lights are on and some off?And, you say it's unsteady: do you mean that the lights "Flicker" (go on and off)? This has sometimes happened to me, particularly with some add-on airports...Cristian

I'm not quite sure what you mean, particularly the bit about the runway markings. Are you saying that some of the textures on the runway models are missing ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 On daytime I can see white lines that are marking the airport area. But they turn off at different view angels. From top view or F8 it's ok but mostly out of the window they are not shown or flicker.2 At night the white lights left and right from and on the runways as well as the taxiway lights are only shown at very close distance. Just 100-200 meters away from the airport they disappear. The single light points don't show all at once. Some are on, others in the line are missing. So mostly I can see the exact direction of the runway only at very close distance.The tower lights are fine. So are the scenery textures and buildings. No problem here.All in all it looks like rendering problems showing some kind of "layers". Sorry can't describe it better way.Thanx

I think that I know what you are trying to say with respect to the runway lights, and I think that this is a typical FU3 effect. The taxiway lines (I assume you mean these as opposed to the actual runway) also disappear and reappear depending on the angle and distance from which you view them. This is also a normal FU3 effect (in my opinion), so I do not think that you have anything to worry about.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

No disagreement here - the edges and taxiways do tend to appear and disappear a bit. They should be visible then you are on the ground, but its probably best to switch them off when you are in the air as they are not well-rendered and slow framerates a lot. All new airports that we make now have proper edge marking for daytime, so shouldn't suffer from this effect, and similarly with taxiways, we can now add yellow edge and centre-line markings to replace the straight-edge segments of LGS, with fully-textured taxiways. It adds a lot to the feeling of realsim (IMHO) to be trundling over something that looks like tarmac! Small runways in FU3 are fitted with PCL, which you have to switch on and off yourself, by being tuned to the correct frequency and the "Q" key (from memory), implemented in three degrees of brightness. Read the manual (if this was one of the lighting problems you encountered). The edge lighting at night is more difficult - I haven't noticed that it only appears so close, it should be visible from further away. But to help I would need to know more about a specific instance to test it myself. One problem with FU3 is that some lighting is not as bright as it could be, but there is a flag in the FLT3.CFG file which allows you to adjust beacon brightness at least.That's all I can suggest without some specific info. Hope it helps!RobD.

At first thank you all for the immediate answeres!So I'm not the only one with these "daytime effects". Though these effects are not as annoying as the disappearing night lights I'm looking forward to these new modelled airports. Will they be included in the announced Seattle 2004 or Sanfran 2004 or are these single downloadable airports?At the moment I have Seattle and Sanfran 2003 installed (the described effects already existed before - on clean installation of Fu3 with patch).What really is making problems is that it's so difficult to find Orientation at night since I can't see the airports from a little further distance. It's a general problem with all airports - also the great ones (Paine Field, SeaTac etc.) I already turned the beacon_brightness to 2 so the lights are brighter but the misbehavior isn't concerned with that.So my main question is - how do you find the runway at night? Do I consequently have to fly with instruments and already knowing the exact place of the airport or are you all able to look out of the window from more far away and see the airport and the runway lights. At the moment I can't tell the airports and their lights clearly from the city lights.

There will not be any textured taxiways at airports in the Seattle 2004 and SanFran 2004 packs, since my priority was to make significant upgrades to most of the small airfields and grass strips in the Seattle scenery region. However, anyone who wishes to take my upgraded airports as a starting point, and add these textured taxiways is very welcome to do so. I should be uploading these two packs to the FU3 file library this afternoon, so they will probably be available from tomorrow.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

There are textured taxiways at McChord (version 2), GraysAFB, and of course the UK-South scenery has almost exclusively textured taxiways. Links for the two Seattle packages:"McChord2.zip"McChord: http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=19736"Graysafb.zip"GraysAAF: http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=19317 Both are upgrades of earlier packages, but will work with the extended model databases. These are at:Night database (Seattle): http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=34545Day database (Seattle): http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=33028Small patch for day database: http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=33373You should also obtain Jon Point's models as soon as possible, and look at his Clare Valley package. It is excellent.Bon voyage!

Guest glidernut

musikai, To help find the airport at night you can always use them key and then the s key to see where you are, in relashon towhere your going on the map.And then, when you are closer to your destination airport thanany other airpot, and with your COM radyow on, you can dicleair an imergansy, a (Mayday),By presing the alt g keys.And the nice peopl on the ground will talk you douwn.But be shoower to be closer to your destination airport thanany other, or thay will talk you douwn into the rong airpot.I love doing that, its arate.Glidernut.:wave