Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Cardiff Uploaded!

Guest R_Driscoll

Congratulations Luc!Cardiff has arrived. I have started this thread for Luc to get feedback, and I hope to download and test it tonight.Despite Luc naming me as an "author", I haven't had any involvement since sending a few models across. Its all his and Andy's work.RobD.

Guest andy9164

Congratulation on your airport Luc.I uploaded it yesterday when I saw it in the library when looking for another file.I have a couple of comments and will hold up my hands and plead guilty to being the cause of the first one.1) The runway model (run_cdf) needs to be renamed to run_cdf0 or it does not show up. Sorry, I made this mistake when I sent the file to Luc.2) For those of us a bit slow with AI files, can you explain exactly what we do with the .sup files. I am assuming these need to be somehow added to the AI Plan files etc.3) I could not get in touch with Ground and all the Radio traffic I heard from tower was talking about runway 26 and not 30. Is this to do with 2) above.Thats all I have so far and enjoyed my first flight.Andy

Guest glidernut

Yes Andy, the .sup files need to be renamed to .txt files, then you can open themand copy and paste the contents to where ever its suposed to go.Or simply open the .sup files with Notepad.I think?I dont know if it all works, My wierles only plays music.Luc,Thanks for Cardiff, it is grate.I love the way you hav the models well spred out.Its well thort out, and very well dun.You could even giv RobD a leson in how tranes do 3 point terns.I thort Jon Point had a good idear by having his tranes go intoa tunal and doing the 3 point terns out of sight.What is your trane reversing seecret ?Bifor long, you will hav us all good trane drivers.Glidernut.:-wave

congratulation to the Cardiff builder team. Now we have a new beautiful airport in the western part of UK-South.Tanks a lot for this contribution :-) Especially the Chinook going up and down and the BAE146 moving on the unused runway brings life in this scenery.The Trains are well placed and the direction change in the underground is a excellent solution. I have just finished all coastal parts in the north east to the top of the region and my next airport will be Duxford with many models.If nobody is working on the north west part, then I will continue there starting west of Cardiff. The current view to the west is not very nice now. My FU3 installation has crashed a lot of times after inserting the Cardiff package, but now it works.I use an UK-South single installation of FU3 under Windows XP.Main reason for the crash was the sound name of Cardiff 125Point000 now replaced by Cleveland.The ATIS frequency of 1288.25 can't be set in the plane so I change this to 128.25 and now I can listen to the message as requested to get clearance.There is 1 moving object that is unnamed and undefined also near to the car park making a rotation. You can see this using my MovObjViewer.exe or even FLED, select the empty line to load it. my Question is: which modell was intended for this place ? I placed the newschp now but this may be wrong.Taxiway and lights are well done at Cardiff but there is no runway visible, just the original from the picture.There are 2 .mod files in the package that should be removed: m0heYQ.mod this file is outside the region and is unusable from the content also.the second file m0bdas.mod is the region north to the airport, but there are no models in it so just remove it.You can check this using my new FLEDViewer. I have removed both files even they was not causing a crash.after renaming the runway model run_cdf.bin to run_cdf0.bin in the GEN folder runway was visible.As a fact from my mod-file analysis we should use just 3 letter for airports. The object entry is reserving 4 bytes for this string, using more will overwrite the next location. I never detected any harm doing this but who nows... bytes: 63 77 6c 00 69 00 00 00 ff ff the first 4 bytes are for the name last byte must be 00 to terminate the string. using more than 3 letters will overwrite the next bytes 69 00 00 00 usage of this part remains unclear until now.I have modified Card to the official cwl 3 letter designation hoping to get more AI traffic on it. I have modified aiplan.txt, ext-port.txt and airspace.txt, traffic is still poor and I never could seen Ansgar's new models anywhere in UK, just Arrow, Windhawk, Renegade and Money are active, in Cardiff Windhawk only or nothing. with this new LEG cwl-iow 0 1500 0 500 2500 I managed to get an AI flight from Cardiff to Sandown, full journey with the Windhawk.exploration goes on... :-wave agtim

Congrats to the "Cardiff team"!New stuff for this area is coming up very nicely.Many entusiasts are working very hard with this, and it is great!!I agree to Agtim that using only 3 letters for the airports is a vey vice idea. That is what the recourse code is build for.I did try at the beginning to use the original 4 letters for "plymouthand "Southampton", but this made the sim unstable.That means using fled after the changes.I also discovered as Ansgar said before, that the airport names listedis an unique key to prevent crashes to desctop.If many more airports is planned ready for this region, a huge job must be done to add more destination options to use in fled.This is also a very important and sensitive part of the sim to have.- or not have access to the flight options for those who are using the radio, and want full advantage for the flights.This is not easy, because this goes hand in hand with the AirspaceTXT.And maybe also with other important files like the beacons,-VOR-NDB-ILS,-etc.If you change 2 things in the region, this often also demand that 4 other things is to be changed to prevent problems.I think that the most important addon to be made is to "Hire" a good head like Steffen to make some changes to it and also ask our UK- friends here to be "actors" to record new sounds for the ATC meny.If that could be an option, we would have a great "base" to work with,and making more airports would not be that mutch trying/errors/testingtesting-testing.Just my two cents.It's only a couple of hundreds hours of work.:-hmmm Well "ELECTRONIC ARTS"It's time to release the resource code isn't it??Best regards.Lars Peter.

Lars,Are you referring to "letters and numbers" for the airport designations, or just letters ? The reason that I ask is that the Seattle region has plenty of airport designators with 4 characters (generally two numbers and two letters), and this isn't a problem.Are we referring to the same thing here ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,- yes we are .- sort of.For example,- if you make a new airport in fled,Using the name,-frequences,etc. maybe some other addon in your current FU3-installation has this already,- used for other airports/-airspace.This means both letters and numbers.Then you have a big problem!I do understand why this is called a "closed" sim".When it comes to make new aircrafts this is not a problem.It's just a scenery/airspace problem.Lars Peter.:-wave

Lars,Yes, but you were commenting on airport designators with 4 letters as being the problem. Why is that a problem in UK-South ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris.The UK-region is made special with a new region.cfg.Many thanks to "Agtim and Christian"What I experienced is only some changes in fled that will not work with other airports working with more than 3 letters.That said this is not specific for the UK-region- but for further addons. I will reccommend using the standard.The recource code has a limit.Lars Peter.:)

Yes, this looks great but I experienced the crash to desktop problem after flying around for a while. Agtim wrote: Main reason for the crash was the sound name of Cardiff 125Point000 now replaced by Cleveland.OK, but how exactly do I fix it? Cardiff is a great airport since it presents the opportunity to fly long legs in the UK south region -- jets make more sense flying from Cardiff to Gatwick than from Heathrow to Gatwick :-) For this reason it makes sense to get airports that are well spread out.best regards,Hans Petter

Lars,Some of my new airfields in the Seattle region have four character designations. They always have done, and I don't experience any problems.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Agtim,"Taxiway and lights are well done at Cardiff but there is no runway visible, just the original from the picture."See my first post on Cardiff. You need to rename the fie run_cdf to run_cdf0 then it will work. My apologies again, I missed this off when I sent the file to Luc.I experienced the crash problem as well, so will try your suggestions later.Andy

Hi Andy,Thanks, I got your message and corrected this as last step, butommit to change the text in my installation log. A little bit deeper is:after renaming the runway model run_cdf.bin to run_cdf0.bin in the GEN folder runway was visible.:-wave agtim

Hi Hans,We need new Sounds for UK in the resource files of fu3.Choosing Cleveland is just a shortcut help, just the first letter will match :-(. Currently we have no other choice.A bigger problem is that large AI planes are not seen in the UK-South region. Don't know why.

Hans, use FLED , open the package, edit the airport, click on the blueairport square in the center of the screen then you get the dialog for the airport frequencies and sound name, select cleveland , close the airport window , say yes to save airport, close package, select save in FLED menu and then exit FLED.or take my upload just here, my modification as cwl airport for Cardiff.that is the airport folder, now named as cwland the AI files for airspace airplan and ext-port placed in the region folder.This is my current version.:-wave agtim