Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

Changing from Night to Day a problem

Guest andy9164

Guess I spent a lot of time on FU3 over the weekend, so many posts.I came across a small problem with my Lydd airport development. After adding some models (Jon Points pylons) if I used the "D" key to change from day to night (and vice versa) my FU3 would just exit and go back to my desktop. I removed Jon's model and still had the same problem, so these were not the cause and the problem must have always been there, just never noticed.I flew from several airports and changed from night to day with no problem. I then set off from Lydd at night but didn't use the "D" key and all was OK until I used the hat on my joystick to have a look around in F5 view. FU3 quitted, back to desktop. Finally I flew from Gatwick to Lydd and London City to Lydd. All was OK around the departing airport could change from day to night, look around in the dark using the hat in F5. As soon as I got around the Lydd area the problem appears.My conclusion, there is something wrong in my developing Lydd package.Can anybody help.ThanksAndy

Guest Quaxo

Andy,The first possible problem is that you could lack a night lighted texture - so, when the affected object comes into view at night, you get a crash.Or you could be experiencing a very ugly problem I had months ago with Heathrow - basically, everytime I looked in a certain direction in the night, I had a CTD. And it wasn't a missing texture problem: it was a setting of my flight.cfg file. There was an option (I don't remember which one now, I have to check at home) which was causing the crash. To check, you can do the following: just rename your flight.cfg file to something else (i.e. flight.cxx) then start FU3. It will create a new flight.cfg file. Just set up the sim a little (to use 3D mode instead of software mode, and such) and see if you still have the same problem. I solved my problem this way.... even though it took me several days to check all the settings one by one to find which one was causing the crash!!!Cristian

Guest andy9164

Thanks Cristian, I will try the .cfg option tonight.Can you explain about the night textures. All the models, with the exception of runways and taxiways have been "borrowed" from other packages so I don't know if this is the problem but it would help me further for a little explanation.ThanksAndy

Guest Quaxo

Andy,Maybe I'm very wrong here, as I'm no 3D modeler at all, but I think that for newly made models, if you want to have night lighting, you have to have the night lit texture, too. It should be located inside a sub-folder of the folder containing the models. I'm sorry but I don't remember the names now, and I'm at work and can't check (no FU on this old laptop! :-))But as I said, I'm no modeler, so maybe I'm completely wrong and the night textures are stored in the same file as the model itself... You'll need an answer from the "model gurus"!But try the cfg solution, that worked for me. Maybe that if you look inside the readme for the Heathrow airport, you can find some detail about which option to remove... I don't remember if Robert added that info though.Cristian

It's in the GEN subfolder Litemaps. Any model may have its night version but if it doesn't have any it'll simply go dark at night. Problems will arise if there's a night BIN but no MIP. Generally, any listed BIN (whether in GEN or GENLitemaps must have the MIPs being referenced, otherwise the sim will CTD. Conversely, redundant MIPs don't matter.You might back up and delete the entire litemaps subfolder and see if this helps. If it does help you have a BIN missing one of its MIPs.Hans Petter