Sign in to follow this  
Steve Hess

What do you want? A survey!

Please list for me the three(only 3 please)most important things to you want in a cocpit. Thanks, Steve.

Guest Rich Wren

ADI.ASI.Altimeter.Compass wouldn't go amiss either...Rich.

Guest Allan_D

Hi Steve,I thank you very much for your addon's for FU3.I've enjoyed them.What I would like to see from my cocpit,(1) some of the sky or the outside area that I'm flying in, I've never been in a small Plane where I can't see over the panel(2) GPS, it's the best way to keep track of where we are at, The last fly in fishing trip I was on one of the pilots had a hand held taped to the dash of his Beaver, He had it hard wired into the Beavers electric system. This is the latest stuff in the real world as you well know, but it's the best!!(3) Maybe a nice Radio stack so I could keep the NDB's and VOR's tracked, I know this might be an expensive add on but money should not be our object here Thank you very much again for you add ons, I just downloaded your newest Baron this evening, I haven't checked yet to see if the passenger is topless, Maybe after my better half goes to sleep :-lol Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest Dann

Steve,I am very glad to say: you already make just about the finest cockpits I've seen. Your panel height is excellent: GA aircraft are not like cars: their panels sit high in the line of sight. Your arrangements and scaling is outstanding, I've matched them to the photos of the real things a couple times and I remain entirely impressed.Okay, GPS might be a good thing...if FU3 handles it!Dan

Guest qvdg

Hi Steve, I really only want one thing 1) That it resembles that of a DH82 Tigermoth ;-) Keep up the great work !QvdG

Dan,No disrespect, but a real pilot has a much wider field of view than someone who is looking at a computer monitor. Compromises need to be made in this respect. If a real pilot had the view you get with the default Cessna in MSFS (this is just an example, and not a dig at MSFS), then he would have great difficulty landing the plane.Of course, Lindbergh did it.........Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1. VFR cockpit panel that only uses one third of the screen.2. Bearing, altimeter, airspeed and COM radio all visible in the VFR cockpit view.3. No bleed through line in any of the cockpit views !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Dear Mark Twain,A Genuine looking artificial horizon, an adjustable altimeter and a real-looking panel with all the little bits of writing on like the aicraft registration etc.Paul.......

Guest Stearman

>Hi Steve,>I really only want one thing >1) That it resembles that of a DH82 Tigermoth ;-) I completely second that!!There's only one thing that could top a Tigermoth for FU3 in my dreams...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36523.jpg http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36524.jpg...a Tigermoth with a Steve Hess' instrument panel!!Thanks for your great work (both Steve & Quentin), and best regards.

Guest Dann

Chris,No disrespect taken. Aircraft panels do sit higher than cars, which we are very used to. I find Steve's panels an excellent compromise to our monitors versus reality and what view we would get, while still making me feel as if I am in an airplane. A panel that disappears for all practical purposes serves only to remind me I am in a computer simulator...instead, I choose to become a better sim "pilot."The Mooney and Beechjet VFR panels, for instance, are utterly useless to me; both are completely inaccurate in that they disappear too far below the visual horizon a pilot has in either of those aircraft (especially the Mooney). After flying using only the IFR panels for these last few years, not only does it "feel" as if I am in the cockpit, but I've become a better sim pilot for it.I've also noticed a positive affect on my flying real aircraft, too; but I'm not sure I can attribute flying FU3 to that entirely :) .Steve Hess' cockpits are works of art. Other than some minor instrument functionality already mentioned by some here, I would see no reason to "fix something that ain't broke."Dan

Thanks for you input. Keep it coming. Things like GPS and an adjustable altimeter are not possible I beleive, I am more an artist than anything else. I would love to have some of the features of the Beachjet advalible on other aircraft, but Flight Unlimited is really Cockpit Very Limited. Making things look good and work right too is usually a challenge at best. With you ideas, possiblle or not, are very welcome. They help me to give you what you want, and challenge me to be better. I have learned alot with is the fun part. I look forward to your ideas anytime, THANKS!

Dan,Yes, it is quite possible that one or two of the panels are slightly TOO low, and I realise that we need to address that end of the scale also :-) I thought that the old version of Steve's VFR panel for the Baron occupied far too much of the screen, but the new version is a significant improvement.....in addition to the fact that it is a work of art.I can't say that my "real" flying has been affected much either :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Hi all, my 2 peneth,I hav allways been a bit bimused by the need for historicl acursy.It maters not a jot to me whether a place realy exists or not, so long as it looksand feels real in FU3.The same thing gos for cokpits and instraments, so long as it looks and feels realin FU3 then thats it, thats the gole.Slaveishly copying what is out ther in the rial would, dus not nesaseraly make itlook or feel real in FU3.In my opinion, Slaveishly copying what is out ther in the rial would is a goodstarting point, but should not be an end in its self.For instance, how meny of us use the sun glair option ? Not meny I think, but thats in the real would.It seems to me that Slaveishly copying the real would in every deatal, only servs tostifal the creativaty of the artists and creators hear in FU3.For instance,QvdG,s Tigermoth presents a golden opertunaty to hav a choice of wether to fly itfrom the frunt seet or the back seet, insted of the choice as to wether to fliy it with the top of the panal high or low.I am a relativ novice to CockpitDesigner, and Iv discuvered lots of things that cannot be dun, but on the other hand theres lots of things that can be dun that hav never been dun bifor.It seems to me that the full potentshal of CockpitDesigner has never been sued.Theres no reesen why a dile should be round, it can be any shape, or size.Theres no reesen why the numbers should be whight on a black background, thay can be any culer, shap, or size.Theres no reesen why the dropdoun vew carnt be used an extra fall blowne forwerd vewlike the IFR and VFR vews, yes ther are sum restricttions, but it can be dun.Simply atempting to copy what is on a real aicraft,s panal, semms to be a wastof the artiststik tanant.Well thats my opinion.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Absolutely right, glidernut. That's my excuse in my scenery packages - I copy what is there as much as I can, then invent the rest. But probably you had already noticed this!My three essential flight instruments:coffee holderairsick bagCDAlright, I'll try to be more Sirius.0.Alt1.HSI2.VSI3.ASIRobD.

Steve, your panels are the cream of the crop. Keep them coming :-)Glidernut, while I agree that it's a moot point to reproduce every little detail it doesn't hurt to strive for realism. After all, when we fly a Stemme glider or a Baron it ought to depict the real thing. Exceptions are to be made when an absolute adherence to realism clashes with functionality. We need to be able to see the primary instruments (no Rob, not the coffee holder) and if this means moving them around so be it :-)Hans Petter