Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Breaking news - FU3 on Linux! :-)

Guest Quaxo

I had almost lost my hopes, but at last, here it is - FU3 running on Linux!! :-) Of course, the results are still not perfect, but the important part is, that it works!! (see screenshots).This could be the falling of the last wall forcing me to use Windows... Maybe it's time to move to Linux now! :-)Cristianhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36932.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36933.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36934.jpg

Interesting. I guess you're running it under WINE?It's a shame FU3 uses D3D and not OpenGL though, because it will be very dificult to enable hardware acceleration...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Jimmi, Yes, it's Wine, the latest build.But the good part is that 3D acceleration CAN be used - you're right, it was off in the screenshot above, but it can be activated. Even though it is a little slow for now... But you get the nice, smooth textures! I will post a screenshot tomorrow.The newer versions of Wine will also support DX9... It's just a matter of time, I believe, before we will be able to get the same performance than what we get in Windows!Cristian

Guest Stearman

Hi Cristian... now it's a matter of you managing to run Grand Prix Legends under Linux as well.If you do, then I'm likely to move into Linux straightaway...Best regards and happy landings!!

Cristian,I assume that the term "Microsoft Windows" isn't appreciated in the Quaxo household ? :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

@Stearman: I still have to try that. I tried in fullscreen mode, and it didn't work. Now I have to try in windowed mode... But probably I'll have to play around with the config file... If I succeed, I will post a screenshot in the Racing Fools forum! :-)@Chris: Not at all. Actually, I don't like many things from Microsoft. I'm not a newbie at all with Windows systems, but I just hate the way Windows wants to take control of the PC... or how it hides things and settings... Or how it always crashes... The list is long... :-)And I just like the idea of an open source OS, where there's not the commercial concern of making new versions for people to buy, but new releases and updates are always issued when needed... ;-)It's much more "user-oriented" and not "sales-oriented"...Cristian

Guest Robert_S

"Or how it always crashes..."That was my major complaint, Cristian.Until I changed from Win98SE to Win2000 Pro. Now, it's not immune to crashes, but instead of multiple times a day, it's maybe once a week, if that.I have no experience with Linux, and have nothing against it. But W2K is quite a different world from the earlier versions. And XP is just a refined and "prettied up" W2K, so I assume it works pretty well, too, though you'd have to ask Tom about that.I'm running a "mobile rack" setup now, with a removeable drawer carrying the hard drive. All I have to do is power down, turn a key, swap drawers, and I'm on my W98SE drive. I don't do that much anymore. :-lol I'm considering a third drive & drawer for Linux, if only to satisfy my curiousity about it.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Cristian,Yes, I know what you mean about "user oriented". This kind of citicism has been thrown at word processing documents in the past. In short, Microsoft (and other companies) release newer versions with thousands of different features.....of which maybe ten are used by 99 per cent of the users :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Cristian,I just had a thought. Maybe you could write an article about using FU3 with Linux ? ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Me too -- using Win 2000 and don't see hangs or crashes anymore. I may be wrong here but I consider XP to be Win2000 "for dummies" -- adding a lot of overhead that I don't need.Still, I'd like to see Linux take off. With Windows as the only platform there's no real competition.Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Cristian, :-jumpythat are really great news. I also have Linux on one of my partitions, but doesn

Guest Robert_S

"I may be wrong here but I consider XP to be Win2000 "for dummies" -- adding a lot of overhead that I don't need."I agree completely with you on that one, Hans. But don't let Tom read that. :-lolDo you use Windows Media Player 9? I use it frequently, with little problem. But when Win2000 does lock up, it's often with that player. And man, it locks up HARD. No cursor movement, no keyboard response, completely ignores a CTL-ALT-DEL. I have to press the RESET button on the tower. Well, I would if it hadn't disappeared. :-roll All that leaves me is a full power-down. :-(Sorry for the cheese in the chat. ;-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Hans,I tried to stop the "GPL picnickers" talking about cheese in the chat, but there were too many of them :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robert_S

He didn't try very hard. :-lol[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Windows XP has other improvements other than the "pretty" (if you can call it that) interface. It loads up quicker and doesn't slow down over time as much as 2k and gaming performance is slightly better.When I was trying to decide which OS to use, I benchmarked several OSes and here's what I came up with:1. WinME2. Win983. WinXP4. Win2kThat was a while ago when drivers and games were still being optimized for Win9x/ME. I think that now, WinXP and possibly 2K will have replaced ME as the fastest OS for games. WinXP and WinME are more bloated than Win2k and Win98, respectively, but because they are more efficent, they still perform better if you have enough RAM.I've been toying around with Linux a little. It's fun to experiment with, but it's not quite ready to totally replace Windows yet. The average computer user does not want to edit config files or type commands into a 1980's command line interface. Most people want a user friendly GUI. The GUI of most Linux distros is a bit chaotic and not as clean as that in Windows (misaligned buttons, not-so logical layout etc.) but it's getting there.Also I've got a lot of music software for Windows that I still want to use, as well as games, of course. So, I'll keep dual booting for at least a few more years.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP