Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Breaking news - FU3 on Linux! :-)

Guest Quaxo

Hm, I can agree that newer versions of Windows are more stable, even though I had some really hard crashes with XP too - while I never had an unrecoverable crash with Linux. OK, sometimes applications DO crash, especially if they're beta versions; but I could always recover. Even if the graphic environment is KO, you can just stop it and restart it, without rebooting.But even new versions of Win give me the feeling of "not being in control of my computer" - actually, even more with newer versions. And I don't like that, this is why I have Win98 at home.The GUI of Linux has improved a lot - I use KDE, and it's much more customizable and powerful than Windows, IMO.And you don't need to use the text interface if you want to do a standard use - when I installed Mandrake 9.1, I had my system up and running in less than 40 minutes, without having to edit any file, without having to go into text mode, and without ever having to reboot. (with Linux, you never need to reboot when you install drivers, applications, and such).And anyway, the text console of Linux isn't exactly a 1980's console - it has very powerful editing and browsing capabilities. It only lacks icons and pretty colors... :-)And Chris, as for writing an article on FU3 with Linux, well, I think it's a bit early... after all, I've just been experimenting! :-) And Wine is not mature enough yet... But that may be an idea for the future!And anyway, it was not difficult to install it: I just installed Wine over my Mandrake setup, configured it to run in windowed mode, and it worked! But I had to use the last version of Wine (with which, by the way, I have no problems in running Office, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and lots of other complex applications...) Cristian

Hi Quaxo,This is very cool. I haven't tried FU3 on Linux before. Looks like Wine has come further along than I thought. I use Wine to run some Windows utilities and to check web pages on IE without having to go back to Windows.I primarily use Linux (Red Hat 8, soon to move to RH 9) since it's safer overall (nothing like being on a minority platform to keep the viruses away), but also have Win98SE and Win2000 installed for games and Windows development, respectively. Haven't bothered to go XP since it's just a prettier, bigger version of 2000 which itself is a beautified NT.Anyway, I'll have to give this a try, maybe after I get RH 9 installed and the latest ATI drivers for 3D acceleration.Thanks for the heads up!Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table