Sign in to follow this  

Model editing tools

Just wondering what is being used to create the new aircraft for FU3 ?? Any doc's on this or other modeling for FU3 ??Jeff

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jeff,first a nice Welcome here in the FU3-forum!It would be helpful if you talk a bit more about you and your skills in model creation, then we can help you a bit more precise.I assume that you like FU3 as we do if you would really like to invest your freetime in developing something for FU3?!So here are some tips about 3D model creation (planes) in FU3 that I described some months ago. It

Guest jonpoint

Jeff,As Ansgar mentioned, I use Anim8or however you can use anything that gives a '3DS' output. Use Autocad with 'Crossroads' (a freeware file converter) or you can use Gmax. I use Anim8or because it's free and easy to learn ;)If you have specific questions, please email to and I will try to answer them!:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest glidernut

Ansgar,Jon Point,Iv got an ASW28 glider model in gmax format.It was dun in gmax by Peter Franke, how has given me permition to convert it to FU3.Peter Franke has sent me his source file compleat with textuers. But by the time Iv got it into my Sudioe MAX, its not only lost its mouving parts,but its also lost all its named and colered serlection,s and is shot full of hols.I think a lot of the damage dun to the model in the convertion is bicous my unregistered 1.254 vertion of 3D Exploration dus not giv me the option to save an MD3 as 3Ds !!!! so I hav to save the MD3 as cob and use CROSSROADS to save cob as 3Ds bifor importingthe 3Ds into my Sudioe MAX.Ansgar, if I send you the gmax source file,s, can you get it into Sudioe MAX withoutloosing so mutch of it,s deatals ?Iv got an erly vertion of Sudioe MAX, that is only suposed to work on windoas 95, butIv got it working on XP, so Im not shoower that all its functions are working properly.Iv not dun anything with Sudioe MAX bious Iv never been able to do the LG DOS tools, ie,N3DS2E.EXE and BSP.EXE.I am a real dumy when it cums to using DOS.I look at the DOS prompt and my mined gos blank.Its my dred of DOS that stoped me from takeing advantage of RobD,s FixMip tools.Bifor doing anything, my DOS prompt looks like this, see snap.I dont know why it starts with such a long path? or how to change the path, it if change is nesosery?Paths every wher els on my PC start with C:So can sum one showe me presicly what to typ at the DOS prompt? to get sumthing "any thing" from 3ds to E useing N3DS2E.EXE ?For exampl the name of the file I wish to convert to E is ASW28.3DsIn preperation for where the E file is to be createdI hav put an empty folder named AA at a location of C: And the AA folder has a sub folder named BB if this is needed? If I can just do this then I can mouv on to BSP.EXE and FU3.If I can just get started, then I can work awy on it.glidernut.:-wave

Guest glidernut

Sory, I forgot the snap.glidernut.

Guest jonpoint

John,That's the standard Windows setting. You can (and should) change it. For example, I normally set mine to the 'temp' folder. Right-click on your 'command prompt' icon and left-click on 'properties'. Mine looks like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/And the dosbox looks like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/By editing the properties box like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/You can change it to any other - like this!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/To convert a 3DS to 'E', put 'n3ds2e.exe' and the file you wish to convert in the same folder (I use 'temp' for all conversions - it's simpler). Type (where 'model.3ds' is your 3DS file name) and hit . A file should appear in the folder called 'model.e'.You are correct about losing info and I've always had this one! The ASW is still a huge mess :-( The trick (I am told) is to convert the Gmax file to VRML first. This makes it bigger and preserves much info. After that, use a VRML > 3DS conveter from the web. I haven't tried this as I've found it quicker now to cut the model in half, recreate everything and mirror it! You will see my fruits of labour very soon ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Bleedin' heck! Forgot the pix...As above,...That's the standard Windows setting. You can (and should) change it. For example, I normally set mine to the 'temp' folder. Right-click on your 'command prompt' icon and left-click on 'properties'. Mine looks like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/38649.jpgBy editing the properties box, you can change it to any other - like this!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/38650.jpg:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Is that an A-10 Thunderbolt II that I can see on your desktop ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello John,sorry I must have overread your question first.Sure you can send me the gmax file with it

Guest glidernut

Ansgar,Thaks, its on its way.This is very good of you, cnsidering you are so bizy with Concorde.Jon, Yyyiiiipyyyy, sucses, I can produse e files for the first time.Now what do I typ at the DOS prompt to run or do the BSP.exe thing ?See my working folder.Any one can anser this, cus I know Jon is biszy with a PC chage over.glidernut.

John, when you have made an e file and created a MIP for it, edit the make.bat in Notepad (open --> all files --> make.bat) and make it point to your e file. Save it and close. Then, as you click make.bat your BIN will be created. If it doesn't work (for instance, missing textures) the e file doesn't reference the correct MIP or the GIF hasn't been turned into a proper MIP that the BIN can use. FixMip turns any GIF into a MIP (choose Seattle or Sanfran palette and choose color mixing (dithering) in preview until it looks right).best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Motormouse

For you 3d guru's :-)(Ansgar and Jon)I just noticed that in todays' new uploads to the library thereis an object converter for 'Janes Attack Squadron by Xicat'The utility converts .bin to E,E to .3ds, any good for our use??file name; jas_obj_tools.ziphttp://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=36532:-wavePete

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,Thanks but!I think you misunderstand the question.I think you sor the e file and asoomed it was for the making of a Fled model.But Im not doing a Fled model, Im doing a "FLYABL AIRCRAFT" model.For this I need to go from e to a BSP.exe and do sumthing I think.Any way, this modl is destind for the PLNPILE folder not GEN.But your instructions will not go to wast.Iv saved your instructions and put it with FixMip.Sooner or later I will hav a go at Fled models and your instructions will be very usefull.Pete,Thanks Iill tak a look at that.glidernut.:-wave