Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

GeForce3 Titanium or Geforce 4 4200?

I Cant Make Up My Mind!!! Aghhh!! Anyone Got Any Comments, Help, And Suggestions? Some say Geforce 3 Is Better then 4 while tohers say 4 is better than 3! Any Comments Are Appreciated! Thanks!

If money isn't a serious issue, go for the 4ti over the 3ti.Check out http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html for a good comparison of the features (clock rates, data bus sizes, etc.) of the various GeForce3 and 4 cards.Using that comparison chart (which includes not only specs, but also FPS rates for each card with a variety of different games), I ultimately selected the GeForce 4Ti 4400. It was $100 cheaper than the 4600 for only a small amount of difference in performance. On the other hand, it was only a bit more expensive than the 3Ti's but with better numbers.Hope this helps.--Tony(edited to get the correct URL inserted)P.S. - I see so many questions about video cards I think I'll post a separate message here and at FlightSim.com with the link so folks will see it. I found the chart that helpful!

Guest jase439

Performance-wise, you might find them to be similar, but the GF4 will give you a broader feature set for the same price (in some cases - for less).J

Guest Max Cowgill

For the small price difference between the GF3 Ti and GF4 Ti (4200), I would choose the 4200. Then again, I'm a techno-geek and I tend to splurge on the latest and greatest whenever I have the means to do so ;) I think you will find that the GF4 will stand the test of time a bit better than the GF3 though, if you are taking that into consideration. Also keep in mind the excellent FSAA performance of the 128MB GF4 cards, even in comparison to the GF3s. FSAA is a very useful feature for flight sims, and I think most simmers would prefer an AA'd sim vs. a non-AA'd sim. On a side note, I'd just like to mention that Nvidia has stated that one of their goals for future products is zero (or near-zero) performance loss when FSAA is enabled :)Max Cowgill

Its the Geforce 4 MX you have to avoid...not the other geforce 4'sCrag Kiltie

Guest JonP01

I personally consider a Geforce 3 Ti more than adequate for FS2002, as you can still crank up all the options that hit the video card (ie texture size, colour depth, resolution, etc) with just about no noticeable performance hit. However, seeing as the Ti4200 probably won't cost much more, you might as well get the latest. And it is faster than a Geforce 3, even though that in itself won't make much difference to FS2002.

Yep, don't make the same mistake as me, I got the GeForce 4 MX420, and found that all the reflective textures had disappeared! Fortunately a kind soul on this forum told me that the card doesn't support alpha-channels. So I took it back, got a refund, and I now have an order in at dabs.com for a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128Mb. Cost

I'd take any Geforce3, Ti or not over a GF4 MX.But I would pick the Geforce4 Ti4200 over any Geforce3.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Ok Thanks Guys, GeForce 4 Ti4200 It Is! Im going to pick it up this weekend ;) :-jumpy Goodbye VooDoo!!!

Guest wkzzo

And the gf 4 supports dual monitors natively. Once you go dual monitor there's no going back

Guest JonP01

>Ok Thanks Guys, GeForce 4 Ti4200 It Is! Im going to pick it >up this weekend ;) :-jumpy Goodbye VooDoo!!! Ahhh. So a soon-to-be ex Voodoo owner. I was in the same boat as you three months ago. I had had Voodoos since the "beginning" and the Geforce 3 was my first "serious" Nvidia card (I halso have a very servicable and reliable TNT in my "work" machine).Be prepared for a lot of tweaking and spending a lot of time coming up with the best settings for FS2002. It took me a couple of months of playing with registry entries and drivers to get it working like I wanted. If you had a Voodoo 5500, You WILL miss the 3dfx anti-aliasing (still the best imho) but on the other-hand, you can crank the resolution, textures and colour depth right up - something which would have made the Voodoo choke.Don't expect a significant frame rate increase but you will get a much better image. I also recommend using Digital Vibrancy (I use the low setting) and anisotropic filtering as it really improves the look of FS2002. When I recently put my Voodoo back in for comparison purposes I couldn't believe how much better FS2002 was looking with the Geforce.

Guest Stamatis

" I also recommend using Digital Vibrancy (I use the low setting)"Can you explain what this is please?Stamatis

Stamatis, Digital vibrance is a technology that NVidia came up with that allows you to control the color being displayed. It controls the seperation and intensity of the color. It allows you to have more or less color saturation. Go to this link: http://www.nvidia.com/ and at the top of the page there is a search function, type in digital vibrance, the search will produce several results, click on the first one and it will give you a good description and pictures that show it in action.I have a geforce 4 TI4400, and use it at the second or third setting, and just love the effect it gives, especially in FS2K2.Hope this helps, Scott..

Guest Stamatis

Scott,Thanks for replying.I have a GeForce 3, maybe it is a "GeForce 4 only" feature?But I will visit the link anyway.Stamatis