Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Yellow snow and palettes.

OK, here we go,Palette 9: redPalette 10: yellowPalette 24: greenPalette 25: blueThere are more palettes but I left them as they were. Palettes # 9 and # 10 are the two first ones, set apart from palettes 24 through 35. This means 14 palettes altogether.Pictures:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39156.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39157.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39158.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39159.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39160.jpgWe may indeed conclude that palette # 9 (the first one) is for the models. The ground is skewed towards yellow or green. Yellow might be drawn from the second palette (# 10) but it might also be drawn from palette # 24. I couldn't find anything turning blue. I scrolled through the day and may conclude that the various palettes aren't used for creating the various light conditions. Elevation (mountains versus sea level) makes no difference. However, distance seem to matter. While any terrain viewed up close looks green it's all looking more normal at a distance. This indicates that palettes 24 through 35 are being selected depending on distance. Close terrain take on the green palette 24 while the distant terrain looks more normal the farther away it is. Thus, LG seems to have used a series of palettes to create a shift in hue as the scenery is being viewed from afar. It may seem that any proximate ground (dirt) draws its hue from palette # 10 while vegetation is palette # 24.best regards,Hans Petter

Partly wrong and partly right :-)The models are palette 9 for sure. However, as I set the palette 10 back to normal I got the proximate scenery back to normal. The palette 24 seems to be used for the preview screen / map of the entire region. My palette 25 is still totally blue and my palettes 26 through 35 are still skewed 10% towards blue.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39196.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39197.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39198.jpgThus, if we want the snow to look less yellow when viewed from a close distance we'll want to skew palette 10. I still haven't found out what the palettes 24 through 35 do, except that distant scenery has looked fine even when my palette 10 was totally yellow. The funny thing is that while my totally green palette 24 manifests itself in the region screenshot I haven't seen my totally blue palette 25 affecting anything.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

It could be the weather screen, or maybe the options screen?RobD.

Guest glidernut

Tern the HAZE off in options weather. Thats what is kiling the blou.I hope you made backups,?Whats it like at night?glidernut.:-wave

I just turned the haze totally off but there are still no signs of my blue palette 24. Anyway, the night views are quite normal -- I've cycled through the day and night with the "D" key and that's why I'm confident that the palettes aren't linked to the time of day. Backups? Are you saying that I should have kept the original file?Just kidding -- I've got an ample amount of backups :-)Hans Petter

I think we've got it!First palette (file 9) is modelsSecond palette (file 10) is sceneryAll the the rest of them (files 24 through 35) are for the various flight planner views. I've cycled through a blue region map with a Vortac, a red region map with compass roses and a green map with airport / points of interest icons. I still haven't tested all of the palettes since I only have a few obvious "flag" palettes (red, blue, green). This means that I have to replace files 24, 25 and 26 with normal palettes again to use my "crazy" palettes for files 27, 28 and 29. I haven't got time for more tonight but it really seems that file 10 is the only one we want to focus on. This indicates that the sim is skewing one and the same scenery palette (file 10) for time of day / light conditions rather than switching between palettes. We might have expected a day palette and a night palette that mix seamlessly since this is how the cockpit views work -- 100% day bitmap = broad daylight, 50/50 = dusk/dawn and 100% night bitmap = midnight.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hans_Petter sent me a crash cors in hoe to edit a palet using PantSopPro.I thort others might find it useful too.This is it. 1)Extract the palette from a RES and save it as a PSP palette2) Load any image in PSP or create a new one. Click Colors --> Load Palette and choose the one you've extracted. Then you can edit the color parameters of the image (hue, brightness, color balance etc). If you have chosen an image that contains the full palette being used you can judge the changes. For this reason, a screenshot from Seattle, showing mountain and ground textures, is good.3) When you have adjusted the color parameters you save the palette rather than the image. I repeat: Colors --> Save PaletteThen you may close the image itself without saving the changes.4) Finally, you import the edited palette through ResViewerNow I can edit a palet too, but I over did it a bit with the whight snow!!!It,s sowed in Seattle everywhere, even the see is all but frosen over.The first snap is of Seattle looking Est.You can see the snow caped mountanes on the other side of Seattlein the distance.The second snap is of Seattle with mount Raner in the distence.Navigating by sight is not so eezy when the landscape is cuvered in snow,Even prominant and familier feechers in the landscape look diferant.Try it, but be worned,its very coled out there, so Where a thik cote, scarf, gluvs, hat, and worm boots.glidernut.:-wave

Yes, this is certainly a season we haven't seen in FU3 before :-)I'm going to import this palette an keep it as a "winter regres". Glidernut, how about a UK winter option? We'd want to see a partial snow cover rather than a complete winter wonderland. Since this palette doesn't affect the models we won't get any snow on the roofs but the UK hardly sees anything but occasional days with wet snow anyway.best regards,Hans Petter

Here are some tweaks for the Seattle and the Sanfran region. The attachment is a zipped folder and there's a readme within. Just click on the attachment, choose download and unzip it. Even though this is clearly stated in the readme, please back up your region/Seattle (or Sanfran)/Engpile/resreg.res before you do anything else :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

If you want snow on the models, I suppose you could adjust the models palette in the same way? Glidernut, that looks awfully cold. I will it out this evening but I have to buy some antifreeze first. Congrats to both of you! Hans, can you post some pics here to show the change?RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

Certainly more vibrant - a bit too strong for my liking, but check with Chris - he's the expert on San Fran! Its worth experimenting though - at least we now have a better knowledge of what's possible. The second shot looks excellent. I find I am getting very comfortable with the increased blue in Seattle - I think its considerably better. Congratulations on your work! What's next? Are you planning to upload a modified palette to avsim? Or leave it as a forum link?RobD