Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

Low Polygon Count Planes

Guest andy9164

Can anybody help me.While putting the finishing touches to Lydd I noticed a severe drop in framerate when flying overhead. After some research I found that I had 5 or 6 plane models sat on the apron all with a polygon count in excess of 1500 each plus an ambulance with an extremely high polygon count. (around 10000 polygons)When I removed them, the framerate improved alarmingly, so my question is are there any lower polygon count plane models out there, or do I just leave the apron emptier.Andy

Those polygon counts seem unreal. In any event, if you check out the London City upload and my repalettized models upload you should have quite a selection of models. I certainly don't take credit for the vehicle / aircraft models since all of them were made by others. Most of them have been proudely crafted in Australia, either by Jon or Robert.best regards,Hans Petter

Ten thousand polygons for an ambulance ? :-eek The entire NHS doesn't have that many ! :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Sorry, the words "in total" was missing off my sentance. The ambulance though is around 1800.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

I think its nice to have a few planes around airports, and just cop the polygon count. Some interesting framerate killers for me:At McChord - the big coloured balloon caused massive drops in frameratesAt Stansted (pointed out first by Cristian), the approach lights wrecked the framerate (now replaced by new approach lights for next version)At Heathrow, replacing the airport runway with the new high res segments sent the framerates into the depths.At LCA, missing models killed the framerates.At Gatwick, it was the taxiway lines and lighting were my biggest problem.Always, high polygon planes have hurt, but an airport without planes is like a hospital without patients (clean, hygienic, sterile, and very efficient - Yes Minister?).RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

And I forgot to say - agtim and Jon have both made excellent static plane models with reasonable polygon counts! Sorry guys. And you can borrown my plane from Stansted - std_ae0.bin. Very very low polygons. I'd like to see that one flying.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Detailed ambulance, huh?Don't worry, we've all fallen for it sometime - like my 1300 polygon VW that was about the size of a small dog. Or my 50 metre-long bus :-lolThere IS more to it than just polygon count too. When I was playing around at CVA some time ago (THAT long?), I did lots of experiments with models and found some interesting things. The more mipfiles a model has, the slower it renders. Therefore, repeating textures from one or two mipfiles is preferable to many mips! My GeeBees have 3 - the original one had 8 which really killed things (I was using it as a moving model). RGB textures are far faster again.Another irksome issue is that FU3 renders ALL models at once, as soon as they are within a certain distance (~8-10 miles @ 3kft), even the ones you cannot see :-( Go near an airport then fly behind a close hill - you can still see the models... This is killing the framerates, folks! FU3 doesn't render terrain that you cannot see - fly for a while, looking only forward, then turn around (backwards in F1 view) - you'll see the terrain re-rendering itself. Why can't models be rendered the same way???Anyway, back to planes, I did some a while ago - they should be here, somewhere! I have a low-res Dash-8 but it uses 8 mipfiles - look for it in one of Ansgar's AI updates sometime. I also have some gliders coming ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest andy9164

Thanks for all your help guys.As you can see from the screenshots I posted, and as Rob D. says, it needs a few aeroplanes dotted about. So, sorry you'll have to suffer a drop in the frames........until version 2.I'll have a look in Agtims file, but what am I looking for and how do I get these into GEN.ThanksAndy

Guest R_Driscoll

Agtim made a hurricane and spitfire for the IOW-UKS scenery. If you have installed this package then you already have them. Jon has made many others than what he describes here - I've forgotten them all but it includes a group of BG's.

Guest Quaxo

"it includes a group of BG's"... As far as I know, BGs are a *band*, not a group! :-)... And I'm not sure they would be a nice add-on for FU. ;-)Cristian

Hi allcurrently there is a B25 model in the pipeline, will keep an eye on the polygon count and use just 1 MIP-Map. This is the first model for Duxford airport, next will be a B17 exposed there since years. :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

So many planes! We could make an airport out of all these (oh, we already did?). I don't want to boast but if you need a really low polygon count, my plane is the best. Not the one at Stansted, no, I mean the one I made for Gatwick. Ha! You didn't know I'd made a plane for Gatwick, did you? Its a sabre, it sits on top of one fo the terminals, and its polgon count is wait for itTWO!!Alright, its not highly detailed. And it has no wings.In fact, if you look at it from front on, it disappears.>BUT

Hi Robert,have seen your Sabre F86 on the building at my first visit :-)I will place such kind of picture inside the exibition hall at Duxford. Have pictures from my visit in 1999.I have droped a lot of polygons on my B25 but there are still more than 2 :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/40442.jpg

Guest R_Driscoll

Oh, that's beautiful agtim. I hate to admit it but its better than my sabre. OK. Its a lot better.RobD.