Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Osborne House.

Guest R_Driscoll

Osborne House! This is a beautiful manor on the north of Isle of Wight, with private beach access, accommodation, receptions, and the most amazing gardens around it. From here you have access to garden tours all over the Isle, with pleasant walks and idyliic scenery. You would have to be crazy not to visit this place.I've never been there.But now for the low low price (this is a one-off, never to be repeated deal) you can visit for free! I have just uploaded a model of Osborne House and some of its garden complex. The main reason for this upload is tourism. I can see IOW falling into decline through neglect as people head for the bright lights of Lydd. So in acknowledgement of agtim's mighty efforts in adjusting the terrain, building the needles, hand-building two magnificent airports, and creating the only area even close to a gliding spot east of Lundy Island, and before Andy can sweep us off our feet, I thought I would launch this tourist promotional model (technically a "Get Interest Model Made to Intice Cash Kustomers" or GIMMICK).Strings attached:You must install the model yourself. Directions are in the pack. If you are not a friend of Fled, wait for someone else to do the hardwork.Do you realise that we now have about 15-20 buildings suitable for making small villages close to the airports, many made by Hans Petter and available through the LCA package. So having built Osborne House, you could build up some of the local coastal life there! Easy!RobD.

I think that I found the right spot but you may check these coordinates:50 degrees 49.983 N1 degree 22.157 Worientation: 357Tip, it's always a good idea to list lat/long for a real-life FLED model since FLED is rather good at coordinates :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

What? and make it easy for you? You need the challenge.Ok, Ok, I will check this tonight and see if you are correct. You probably are!

Guest Motormouse

As grew up only 1/2 mile away from there, I've visited it several times :-lolSo excuse me for jumping in here, but I thought you'd appreciate the local knowledge!!Built on the site of an older house, designed by Albert,Prince Consort to Queen Victoria, it was the official royal residence for several years.One 'wing' of the building became part of the Royal Naval academyin the Edwardian era , it was the setting for the play 'The Winslow Boy' by Terence Rattigan.The house is now in the custody of 'English Heritage' and open to the public for 360 days a year.Here's the aerial picturehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/40699.jpgIf you do a search at www.multimap.com , type 'osborne house' in the little box provided, you'll also get the lat/long co-ordinates :-)Don't go confusing Osborne House with the two other grand houses close by, namely Norris Castle, (closer to the north shore of Island)and Barton Manor (just about 1/4 mile south of Osborne):-wavePete

Yup, that's the location that I settled for. The coordinates given above might help others find it :-)I'm going to plant a few trees around this mansion, now that I know that it has been placed correctly. Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, I agree. FLED gives the location as Lat 50.832144 and Long 1.3702, but I have used an orientation of 326.2 deg. Thanks for the background Pete!So now I have made Cristian one of his favourite old haunts (the terminal at Stansted) and Pete one of his! I didn't know this when I made it - I just found a beautiful photo of the building and then researched it a bit.Of course it is meant to add to agtim's package of IOW, and it needs a few trees and a couple of small buildings around it. But I haven't talked to Andre about it yet and don't want to modify his package without permission. So I just released the model and you do what you like with it! I have enjoyed landing in the grounds. The original is highly terraced around the house, and I intended to do that, but time ran out on me!RobD.