Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Stansted version 2

Guest R_Driscoll

The new version of Stansted was prompted by Cristian's visit there a few weeks ago. Based on his photos, I have been able to fix a few hangars and locate the radar. I did some serious upgrading all over the airport while I was there, including approach lights, landscaping and the main terminal building. I hope you enjoy the improvements! Roland beta-tested for me, and also of course did the original AI, so I have named him as co-author on the package - his contribution has been invaluable. Thanks Roland!Looking ahead:I have made some little villages to the east but have not included them in this package, because of one problem. This package was designed to be self-sufficient - that is, it includes all models used. But the villages use a large number of different models. Most of these models were developed for London (the "village" series), LCA and Cardiff, so are already available. It took me a week AFTER I finished Stansted just to check the airport models, before it was ready for beta testing, and I still missed some. Since the village models were released recently, and because of the time needed to chase and check each model used, I would prefer to release just the package as an upgrade without models. I know this will not suit everyone.If there is interest, I would be happy to upload the expanded Stansted package, but as an upgrade. In other words, I would not include the models. RobD.

Guest andy9164

Rob,Please post the Stanstead Upgrade. The region is expanding and improving all the time and as you have told me many times, we do this for pleasure, so if you dont release the models, you dont release the models. Everyone on this forums appreciates everyone elses work, big or small.Andy

Doctor Iscoll, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that anyone who has the London City airport upload will have the required models :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Professor Roverud, you are substantially correct. But I did use a couple of Cardiff ones. I mean, I was making it for my own fun and didn't think about how to package the villages. But they look nice, adding some verticality to the skyline. Anyway, try out Stansted Version 2 without the villages, and that will give me time to sort out what to do. I take it though that there is some interest in the full Stansted.RobD.

Guest Ansgar

Dear Robert,for sure you can take it though that there is more than only some interest for any! of your nice airport upgrades. I really like them with all their great details, that is absolutely true and much appreciated from me! And I also would like to have them with all that villages at the skyline. ;-) THANK YOU very much for all that work in advance!An "upgrade version" is absolutely fine, we (and all the other users) only must know what other downloads are needed to make it a full version. To prevent double loading it also may be an good idea to separate all that additional models to one separate addon package. This package is then a "must download" for every airport which take use of it. These dependencies also can be shown clearly and direct at the download page of your package. This saves a bit the time for all users which don

Guest Quaxo

Hey Robert, this is great news! I'll try your new airport as soon as possible! :-) Too bad that at work, where I have ADSL, they took away my CD burner - so I'll have to download the file from my slow 56K modem at home. :-(Regarding the models, and their "availability" in the users' folders, I was thinking to add, in the next update CD (which will include the new terrain), also all the complete UK-South folder, updated with the new airports, models, AI and scenery (if the developers agree, of course).My question is: would it be better to add the models as bin and mip files, or to compress them in the big file (of which now I don't remember the name... :-roll ) to keep the folder tidier?Cristian

Guest qvdg

Great news Rob. Stansted 2 from you , Cardiff from Luc, Lydd from Andy, Duxford from Ansgar these are exciting times :-)Cheers, QvdG

Guest Ansgar

Hello Robert,I just installed the Stansted2 package and had a small problem. I

Ansgar.Both Rob and you are correct with use/not use "alt-F" for the cycle frequences.Standing at a controlled airport with one of the airport freqencesalready typed into the radio,- you can do this function to change from "tower- ground- atis".The problems begin if you are doing a direct/ILS, or flight followingprocedure with contact with the approach-woman. She is not happy about any extra numbers for the frequences.She guides you around and says "the airport is at your ""a clock,contact tower at freq.***,*.If that airport have more numbers in the towerfreq. than original FU3,you will not be able to type this into the radio as usual.And also using "Alt-F" is impossible at this stage.I hope this helps.Lars Peter.:-)

Ansgar, I followed your advice and got it working. It does indeed seem like the MIP in LiteMaps is required. The only question is whether this is the real night version or whether there might be another version of it that we ought to have. At any rate, the sim loads fine when this MIP has been copied and pasted into the LiteMaps folder.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Lars,I only can look in short at this weekend because I

Guest Quaxo

I tested the airport yesterday evening, and I have to say I like it a lot! :-) The new radar is good, and the frame rate problems with the runway lights is gone. I don't understand very well the elevated roads at the sides of the main terminal, but the terminal itself looks really good.As for the missing mip, I think we need to have the proper, night-time one - because I tried just copying it to the litemaps folder, but then at night, one of the hangars at the south end of the airport, looks really strange...Anyway, thanks Robert, another great improvement!! :-)Cristian

A few pics:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41005.jpgThe ground texture shows the "footprints" of parked airliners that are not there. How about placing some static models here? We may need some new static models for this purpose. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41006.jpgTaxiing behind a GA aircraft.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41007.jpgSort of a "yee-hah" landing but it went wellhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41008.jpgApproaching another airport that I'm fairly familiar with :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, I missed one of the night textures. Well to be honest, I never made it -there was not supposed to be a night model for that hangar. I put it into the litemaps directory by accident. Anyway, here is a night texture for it - simply drop this into your litemaps directory and it should fix the problem. And my apologies - I tried to check everything but these packages are getting fairly complex.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41429.zipRemember to put it intoregionsUK-SouthGENLitemapsand not into the GEN folder, or you will see some strange effects!The villages around Stansted use models from the default modelmip.tag (for San Fransisco), the village series (VLG models), from other major airports (Stansted of course, Heathrow, Gatwick and LCA), from the IOW and Cardiff airports and from Jon's models, in other words, just about everywhere I can get models. All of these sets have been uploaded already to AVSIM, some 4 or 5 times, and there are a few new models which I will provide with the package. I can't provide support for this in the short-term, but hopefully through Cristian's next distribution disk, this will not be necessary as I will ensure that all models are correct on this disk.Most of the models were released or re-released through Hans Petter's LCA airport. So I will upload Stansted 3 and hopefully you will have the models already.My suggestion is, backup up your Stansted version 2. Install Stansted 3, then either:- check for big time delays as you fly over the villages, or - check in FLED (if you are familiar with that) for missing models, or - wait for agtim's search program.Otherwise the upgrade will be bigger than Concorde!, stuffed full of models you already have.RobD.

Guest andy9164

Rob,One thing I did notice was that there are now 2 airports that begin with the name "London", City and Stanstead. I am sure I read in the forum some time ago that this would interfere with the options given when speaking to ATC. Is this correct. I think we had to edit the FBO file and rename to remove the London so that only 1 existed. Any thoughts.AndyP.S. Package is a great enhancement, and so is Osborne House. Took a flight from Lydd, Across IOW then onto Stanstead.