Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Stansted version 2

Guest glidernut

I carnt get what you call Stansted2 to work!Every thing seems to work OK untill I try to look SW, and then my PC givs me a dung sound and FU3 freezes as if porsed,And the only way to unfreez it is to pres Esc, witch crashes me to the desk-top.Also the INSTALLATION instructions for what you call Stansted2 dont seemto mach what I hav alredy hav instaled in the way of old Stansted,s!Bifor installing what you call Stansted2 I hav in my packages folder 2 Stansted packages.Bowth with an airport folder contaning STN !I do not hav a STN airport in my UKS package !Having sed that, after sum trile and erer, it seems as if the problem is with 1 ormor of the new models.But how do I fined which models ?Well fortunatly Ansgar came up with a solootion, but after spending meny haouwerstrying every posibl way of folowing Ansgars solootion, I still could not get Stansted2 Which to me is Stansted3 it to work.Puting t_stdmal.MIP into the Litemaps subfolder maks no diferance.So now I hav just sucsesfuly instaled Stansed3 which to me is Stansted4I hav it working without the models from Stansed3, what you call Stansed2.If sum of this is not makeing any sence, its bicous Iv been trying to get it rightfor 6 houers strat, and Im going bogliede, Its now 4 in the morning and Im going to bed.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, I'm sorry that its been difficult to install. I feel very bad that you are having so much trouble. I don't know enough about what the problem is, but here are some comments:1) You should only have ONE Stansted package at any time. You will certainly get a CTD if you have both old and new installed next to each other, since the models (esp of the terminal) have been changed and your old version will lay eggs and have kittens trying to find the old version models which no longer exist. Any backup versions must be kept in a TOTALLY different directory - and its best to reinstall from the original package anyway.2) Check that when you installed the new Stansted, you put the GEN models into your UK-SouthGEN folder and your LITEMAPS models into your UK-SouthGENLitemaps folder.3) Try loading the package into FLED, to see if this old sage has any words of wisdom about missing MIPs or damaged BINs.4) There should not be any problems with the new models, but you can check each model as follows: START MODELVIEW Browse to your UK-SouthGEN directory Load each model and see if it looks OK and behaves itself.But you said you had more success with Stansted 3? (I know the numbering is a bit mixed up)? This supercedes all other versions, but doesn't include all of the models. So if you get rid of all variant versions of Stansted packages and work on this one only, it will include all changes in Stansted 2. Anyway, the villages in Stansted 3 add a lot to the feeling of realism, so if you can its best to stick with this version.But don't fight with it for 6 hours! Just contact me. You'll soon be up and flying, er, gliding.

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't think any developers would disagree! It is hard work keeping all of the new models organised, and a distribution disk would take a big load off my shoulders. We should not have to stop making models simple because of little difficulties in distributing them.As far as possible, I think we should make a new modlmip.tag for your next disk. Agtim was doing this (I haven't heard from him about this so he may have forgotten). But if agtim doesn't object, I don't mind making the databases.

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Ansgar! I have uploaded as many details as I could find to Avsim as a small text file with frequencies, names etc. I will stay out of organising this. If you need me to change any frequencies or names or details, I assume you will let me know! I can easily release airport updates with new frequencies, and can help other people fix their packages if necessary. RobD.

Guest andy9164

Here is what I did to get it installed.(This was what Rob called Stanstead2)Copied over the Stanstead folder from Robs download into my Packages folder overwriting any files.Copied over the Gen files into my UK SouthGen folder.(including LiteMaps), overwriting any files.Downloaded the beacons file, installed as per instructions.You should not have a STN folder in your UKS folder. This should have been removed when Stanstead Version 1 was relased.(Thats after the one on the UK South Disks)I did get a crash on approach to Stanstead. With FU3 still "hung" I opened Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). This is just to minimise FU3 without closing it down and there was an error message saying "Missing Mip, t_stdma1.MIP". As previously highlighted in the thread, I copied the mip from my Gen into my GenLitemaps. No crash on approach. Rob has attached the correct mip for the LiteMaps folder in this thread. Place it directly into your GenLitemaps folder.I also posted earlier in this thread about having 2 airports with the name "London", City and Stanstead.This creates problems with the ATC options. I edited the Stanstead FB01 file and renamed the airport name to Stanstead. I now get my proper ATC options.Yes, I found Robs instructions a little confusing as well, but in his defence, I have just experienced how difficult it is to "complete" a package. Lydd is only a small package, but it has taken me the best part of 6 hours to package it all, check / make sure all models and mips are included and to write the Read Me file, I don't know how long it would have taken him for something as big as Stanstead. We have all done these upgrades time and time before and they always nearly follow the same format. Providing you are backed up, its always worth a try.As for future releases and making a new modelmip file. Yes I agree it would be excellent to get rid of all the "loose" models that have been made so we can all tidy up our Gen folders which are in danger of getting out of hand. Set a cut off point, say when all current airports are complete, then make the file.Thats my 2 pennies worth.Andy:-beerchug

Guest glidernut

I hav it all working perfectly now, and its grate!!I dont know what was rong.I checed Stansted2 in fled with no indication of what could be a miss.I checed every "bin file" in the Stansted2 package with ModeViewer, with noindicashion of anything mising or rong, apart from the fact that thay all look like thay all hav the rong palet.The LiteMaps "bin files" Look a bit beter, but stil as if with the rong palet.The Seattle models apeer in there corect colers, its only the UK and Sanfranmodels that hav the rong colers in ModeViewer!?!?The same thing hapens regardles of what resalootion I use ModeViewer in.I use ModeViewer in 16 bit coulers, the same as my desk-top.Is all this normal ?And then sudenly after checing every thing I could think of, inclooding my cfgsetings, Everything in Stansted2 and then Stansted3 worked perfectly!!!!!In fact sum of your little viliges look so real that I get that "day-shar-voo" feeling.You know that feeling that you get when you think to yourself "I know this place","Iv been hear bifor", its sum houw looks FAMILIER.But you just carnt remember where or when it was!!!!! In my opinion, sum of thees little places are werthy of being a package in there owneright.Thay would not look out of place anywhere in the UK.I love em.PS, I see youv got mor expeeryanced beter traned trane drivers too.glidernut.:-wave

Glidernut, ModelView has buttons to switch between the SanFran and the Seattle palettes but you knew this already. The thing with LiteMap textures is that they all use some kind of yellowish Seattle palette. It makes sense since all colors fade at night, except for the direct sources of light. Further, ModelView does not show the LiteMap textures as they appear in the sim -- you're quite correct when you state that they look like they've got the wrong palette.Regarding those buildings, a lot of them look very familiar to me as well :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

O ye, "Golden Gate" and "Space Needle" buttons.I dident know that.I do nouw thow.Glidertwerp :-abduct

Guest R_Driscoll

Excellent! Glidernut, I've been running around in little circles tearing my hair out and saying "Yipes yipes" - this is what I do when I'm trying not to panic. It is wonderful to hear that its working. I am putting my hair back in. My mistakes:1) I included a night model with no night palette ( this can be fixed with the download in this thread)2) Somehow when I put the final package together the ILS dropped out and rezeroed itself. This is a mystery to me, along with the Pyramids, Relativity and where pens go to. I will fix this for Cristian's version.3) framerates have hit a new low. But that's the problem with trying to put in villages in the same package as a major airport. What can I do about that?4) name needs to be changed to "Stansted". OK, will do for C's version. The official names for Heathrow, Gatwick, London City and Stansted all have "London" at the beginning, but the names don't fit in the FU3 location graphic and ATC has kittens if different locations start with the same name. So slimmed down names must be used. OK.So more bugs than a Men in Black movie. Sorry about this, I was disappointed that some bugs appeared. It will be right on the night (with Cristian's disk!).Hans, you are quite correct that you recognise some of the models. Your new buildings are perfect for the villages and have been used to the point where the paint has started to drop off them. I have to repeat buildings of course, since we still don't have enough complex houses like the funny red one opposite the LCA midpoint of the runway. That gets overused too.Glidernut, thanks for noticing the trains! Luc (and your hint) have taught me a bit more about reversing. Apperently real trains don't rotate in big circles when they want to change direction! I will have to fix this up in my other packages too. But I didn't know that the reverse path option worked in FLED.Thanks all for the feedback! It has been very helpful and encouraging.RobD.