Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Winter Flight

We started early in the morning at Easton State. The thermometer read 25 Fahrenheit but it really felt colder.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41215.jpgThe sun rose and we took offhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41216.jpgThe lakes aren't frozen, due to the relatively low latitude. Yet, there's powdery snow on all the coniferous trees, making their wintergreen hue appear a lighter hue of green. You may also note that there's no snow in the outer terrain. That's due to the lower elevation.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41217.jpgYes, there are mountains! I spotted a large, furry ape-like creature here but somehow it doesn't show in this screenshot. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/41218.jpgThese screenshots by courtesy of Glidernut's winter textures (Copyright) for Flight Unlimited III. They can all be downloaded from Ye olde Glidernut Palette Shoppe website and the whole set of textures costs $ 9.99. When the spring textures are released previous customers will get a 25% discount :-)

Guest juvat2

Hans,Those are some of the most beautiful screen shots I've ever seen for a flt sim. Please also post in the screen shots forum.How did you get that snow on the ground? The textures permanent, or varies with what weather and season you load in the Weather Menu?I must add though, that fireplace color appears kind off.I searched the shot for the hairy man, no go there; but I think I might have seen something significant in the water, long kneck, little head. What tipped me off was a barely discernable wake that.... whoops-waite, wrong lake :-hah Take care,JimB.

Jim, these are Glidernut's winter textures. If you look down the list of threads you'll find the one on tweaking the palettes. In any of the regions' resreg, file 9 is the palette for models and file 10 the one for the scenery. For the shots above I "drabbed down" the model palette a bit (less saturation) and used Glidernut's file 10 for the scenery. Robert Driscoll started this since he wanted to make the yellowish snow whiter. Since you're good at playing with colors and textures you might look into this. All it takes is ResViewer and a paint program that allows you to edit palettes.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest TFT1

Hi,do you have the link for the glidernut website?SincerelyTFT

I was just kidding :-) If you check out the thread "Yellow snow and Palettes" below you'll find Glidernut's winter palette in the 6th last post. He attached a small zip file, just click on the attachment and it will prompt a download. Then, back up your stock resreg.res and try Glidernut's winter version of the Seattle region.Added: I forgot to mention that you need ResViewer. Glidernut's upload is a palette file that replaces the original scenery palette. Provided you've got ResViewer and know how to use it you may easily create a winter version of the Seattle resreg.res.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest TFT1

Hi,thanks for the hint. I know how to use the resviewer.TFT

And what about the autmn :-shy (I don't remember how to write it - the third season of the year) colours ?B.Adamski

Yes, one might create an autumn (fall) version of the scenery palette but then the snow on top of the mountains would turn more yellow or brown. But then, there's less snow in the autumn so maybe this would look OK? Bogdan or anyone else, you might try to skew the scenery palette (file 10) towards yellow and red. We might even skew the model palette (file 9) towards yellow/red to get yellow/brown foliage on the tree models. If it turns out well we'll have another alternative season. As always, we need to keep all different versions of the region's resreg.res backed up in separate folders (Seattle standard, Seattle modified, Seattle winter, Seattle autumn etc and just use one at the time.Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

What would happen if, instead of skewing the whole palette in one direction, we just change some colors? If, for example, we modify the yellows of the snow, and make them more white? The forests and sea should be unaffected... ?Cristian

Ansgar is really the "man" here but I believe this to be the issue:Every part of the scenery textures relies on the palette.The palette doesn't "know" that we want white on top of the mountains and nowhere else.Thus, if we skew one part it affects everything else.Put differently, the palette doesn't have a code that says "this entry is for snow on top of the mountains". All the coded colors or hues will go to whichever part of the scenery that calls upon that palette entry.Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hans, I know, but if we leave, for example, the reds, greeens, blues, as they are, and we just change (brighten) the yellows, only the parts using those colors will be affected - that is, the snow, some part of the cities, some beaches... Might be less "intrusive" than changing the whole palette... Just an idea anyway! :-)Cristian

I can't change the palette, because I don't have PSP. I have only Micrographics & there is no psp format.If we don't correct white colour, we should get correct snow colours, I think.B.Adamski

Well, there might be a better way. Ansgar, can you help us? We want to edit specific palette colors one by one rather than skewing the entire palette.Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Iv just discuvered that I can edit specific palette colors one by onewith Paint-Shop-Pro.Hears how.After opening an FU3 snap in Paint-Shop-Pro, and lowding a palette, then clik on Colours Edit Palette...See snap 1.Then bubl clik on an individual squair in the palet.See snap 2.Then choos or create a new color.See snap 3.Then clik on colors save paletteThats it dun,Im hopeing this also works on your vershion of Paint-Shop-Pro.If not, then what is your first request ?In other words, what should I try ?I hav alredy tryed changeing the colors that represent the lakes and sea worterto make the worter lighter, but with horibl results.PS, I did try doing a winter palette for the UK-South, but you wanted only a light coteing of snow and that didnt look like snow at all !In fact the best looking snow in the UK-South is with the terane in blackand wight only.glidernut.

If I could edit the palette, I would change 1 colour & see what will happen. Then changing some green colours for gold, orange and red I could see what will get. Could anyone do it & send a screen ?B.Adamski