Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Winter Flight

I just tried to edit single palette entries the way you described and it works! The problem is that we don't know which hue will affect which area -- at least we don't know what unwanted side-effects will ensue when we change one palette entry. Here's a suggestion: Take a screenshot that includes ground, water and mountains for your choice of season. If you want to start with improving the winter version, take a screenshot with the current version. Loading this image into PSP and its current palette, work on the palette and check what the changes do to the various "classes" of terrain.If we get to developing an autumn version, start out by skewing the palette towards red and yellow. Load a screenshot into PSP, load the preliminary palette and work on each palette entry. We might even get brownish trees for the autumn version by changing the model palette.There's a lot of trial and error involved here and it might be a good idea to split our efforts. Who wants to perfect the winter and who wants to work on the autumn? American volunteers may choose to work on fall textures rather than autumn textures :-)best regards,Hans Petter

I would change only 1 green colour from palette into unexisting red for contrast, install it and see the effect. Then the same for other green colours to see where the colours are in the terrain (forrests, fields etc.).B.Adamski

Here's a test. I've modified palette entries one by one, focusing on changing all the green hues into yellowish, brownish and reddish. A problem is to maintain the luminance of each color. When it gets blotchy that's because adjacent colors have changed in relative lightness.One might need to write down the original RGB numbers of each original palette entry and ensure that the RGB sum of the tweaked color stays the same. (In other words, change the hue but not the luminance).best regards,Hans Petter http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42180.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42181.jpg

Guest jonpoint

Dear All,I have been playing with this a bit recently. Without guessing at how anyone else would do it, I developed my own method - and here it is ;)First, export your file#10 palette from resreg.res. Now, go fly somewhere, with clear skies and no haze. Adjust the time to midday. Right, now you're looking at the true palette. Compose a nice screen full of scenery and take a screenshot.Now, fire-up PSP or iMage (it's free...) and open your screenshot. Now, using the exported palette, convert the screenshot to 256 colours. It shouldn't change much because you are using the same palette (the differences are caused by FSAA, anisotropy and your video card blending colours together).Here's the fun part. Find a colour in the image you wish to change (e.g. yellow snow). Using an eyedropper tool, click on the colour you want to change. This will highlight a colour in the palette. Now, double-click on that colour and change it! When you have gone over your image and corrected it, save the palette and import it back into FU3.The method is simple and the results seem predictable - to me at least! The method vary a bit between PSP and iMage but he concept is the same. Here's a bit less yellow and slightly more vibrant greens (probably too vibrant...):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42660.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42661.jpgWhat I have found is that one can modify it easily enough but the results can be inconsistent. Maybe we could have 4 palettes to choose from - Summer, Winter, Spring and Autumn (Fall)?? I have one that removes almost ALL snow - and replaces it with red and yellow spring flowers. Makes Mt Rainier look like a scene from Bambi :-lol:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Yes, that's what I'm doing :-) Please check out the new post "Seasons and Palettes". I figured this thread was too long and too far down the list.We should prepare a full set of seasons and I seem to be the fall (eh, autumn) guy right now. Glidernut, are you going perfect the winter version? Then, who wants to do spring?Hans Petter

A little strange effect. Winter looks better. Maybe a little less saturation.B.Adamski