Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Now, look who is a dedicated simmer...

Guest R_Driscoll

Well that shows some commitment!Is that your setup at home, Cristian?

Guest jonpoint

...and the EMR would probably send you bald and sterile in about 5 minutes!Doesn't beat the Vampire cockpit a friend has! Personally though, I like Roland's setup ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest evansgg

Reminds me of the system I used to have before I upgraded. (Joke)

Guest Quaxo

Robert, heh, no it isn't! I have a single 15'' monitor, single computer, two joysticks but no rudder pedals...And that's right, the EMR wouldn't be too healthy there! To say nothing about power consumption, heat generated, and so on... But I would like to try it! :-)Cristian

Guest Motormouse

And I bet he's got a direct link to the local power station, imagine the 'surge' when that lot gets switched on!!:-wavePete

Guest Ansgar

Hmmmmmmmmmm, it seems he more likely fly the FS200x simulators and sure had the problem to place all that different slectable panels, switch boards and sight

Guest jonpoint

I'm glad it's him, not me!When doing a mock-up demo for an unmentionable Naval surveillance aircraft, we ended up with four monitors - 3 split with outside view above, panel below and the other for the center panel.What a bleedin' mess :-erks Sitting at it, there was no one position where you didn't get a reflection in at least one monitor and when you talked on the radio, the monitor flicker was BAD x(To be honest, I enjoy most whilst sitting at a chair, yoke in one hand, glass of Binder in the other - not something one could do in a real cockpit - RobD take note :-lol In fact, my last 'full cockpit' simming experience was loud, harrowing (a room full of know-it-alls watching) and gave me bruises all down my back because I used someone else's seat-pad :-( Motion platforms may be nice in theory but don't make for a relaxing flying experience :-boom Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't think monitors are a good substitute for a proper window at all. In professional sims, don't they rear-project the scenery onto panels in some way? And Jon, you are right about not drinking and flying. I was en-route from Lydd to Lundy, on my third caffeine break and singing happily at the top of my voice, when a bobbie in a Mooney pulled me over and asked me to breathe into his caffalyser. I told him I was a bit wobbly due to some local turbulence, but he said that to fly in that manner I ought to be over Farnborough. Anyway, the penalty was loss of one wing and three points off my licence. I flew barrel rolls for the rest of the trip, and landed quite fast (approx terminal velocity) almost directly below where I was pulled over. So you are quite right. Don't flink and dry. Uh, dink and fry. NO no I mean fron't think and dly. Oh bother.Cheers,RobD.

Guest jonpoint

You mean 'flon't dink and drie'?There are a few different projection systems - usually mounted on the platform. Most systems use forward projection (a set of 3 projectors above the cockpit, projecting onto a curved screen that wraps-around the cockpit) or rear projection (like a TV). I've only seen rear-projection on small (read; tiny) trainers.Then you have the stationary prabolic screen with multiple projectors. One had 6 projectors, a horizontal field of 290 degrees with a vertical field of 270 degrees :-eek Basically, as you fly straight ahead, the display looks normal. As you begin to bank, the image stays level (but may begin to turn). As the bank progresses into a loop, the image is 'rolled' backwards whilst the platform twists in the opposite direction. This gives the impression of turning the entire platform upside-down (without actually inverting 250 tonnes of steel).Commercial sims don't do this. The purpose was Military and revolved around being able to identify and engage air and ground targets 'over your shoulder' (or above) whilst performing turns, dives or inverted, supersonic flight. The warfare systems used helmet-mounted sighting systems - look at it, hit the button, destroy it :-bang Oh, and apart from the lack of helmet sights, 747s don't have wrap-around cockpit glass and are not approved for inverted flight :-lolAll this said, I luuuuurve my new 19" monitor :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

JonSo you worked on the P3C sim (with TTS ?) I once rode jump seat on one out of Nowra while we where trialing a streamer for an unmentionable submersible. QvdG

Guest Motormouse

>:-lol In fact, my last 'full cockpit' simming experience was>loud, harrowing (a room full of know-it-alls watching) and>gave me bruises all down my back because I used someone else's>seat-pad :-( Motion platforms may be nice in theory but don't>make for a relaxing flying experience :-boom> >Jon Point>*************************>(effyouthree@hotmail.com)>*************************Yep, last time I went for a 'full motion' sim ride,three of the instructors were off work with back injuries caused by........the full motion sim!!:-wavePete

Guest jonpoint

Um, er...Yes, I spent nearly 5 years with #%$*^! submersibles too :-( Were they 'sans sardines'? We worked on some of those too (for Bofors - it's still on-going with Thales I believe). The 471 project was an excercise in political stupidity IMHO.The best part of all that was...- the retrenchment package ;)I was almost going to sign-up for the new surviellance sim - until I found out it will be in Adelaide. OOPS! Shhhhh.....*Disclaimer:Everything I have mentioned here was printed in some public-domain newspaper at some stage... Except the #%$*^! - that was mine :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************