Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Seasons and Palettes

The colours become good. It's pitty, that there is no yellow colour.B.Adamski

Guest glidernut

model_detail_scale 1000.0 I put the number in the abuv line in the cfg file doun to 0.0to get the tree models to show only one block culer.Well not just one culer, bicous of the angl of the sun there aer several diferantshades of the same couler.Any way doing it like this I can get yelow in the trees, but its no good cus yelowshows up on the other models and it looks bad.So wat you hav so fare is as good as it gets.This is your last autumn palette with one coler in the palette changed to yelow andall the colers mooved towords the yellow hue.glidernut.:-wave

I just tried your latest model palette and I get reddish trees. Fair enough, but why can't we define yellow hues that will "take"?Before I tried this one I tried to skew the entire palette towards yellow. Actually, yellow is a tricky hue since it's really a combination of red and green -- a little too much or too little of either basic color will produce a red or a green hue. Result, red towers turned orange while the trees stayed reddish-green. Bottom line, when I select the light green of a tree and redefine it to become a warm yellow hue, why doesn't this hue "take" as I load the palette?In any event, we're close to releasing Seattle seasons. Glidernut, you might put ice on the lakes of your winter palette by editing some of the blue palette entries :-)Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter>you might put ice on the lakes of your winter palette by editing some of the blue palette >entries.Yes I just tryed that, but the changed couler stands out like a sor thum.Its better as it is, at leest the coulers blend in.I dont know why your yellow dont stay yellow! It dus for me. see snap or try this palette.Perhaps its best that you dont get full yellows?If you did, then too much yellow would be on other models.Go with what youv got. I dont see you geting any mor improoments to the seesans.The best thing to cum out of this for me, is the extra gereen for every day flying.and for RobD the extra blou.I am a bit suprized that mor peopl hav not given us there preferances.Chirs low in particuler is allways torking about terrane coulers.He is mising his opertunaty to get just what he wants. glidernut.

There's one way to make a totally new palette for the models:1) Take screenshots (possibly in FLED) of most of the models2) Make sure that you get a representative collection "colorwise".4) Make a composite picture that includes all the hues that we need.3) Edit the trees to include yellow, orange and red.4) Save the image5) Make a "best fit" 8 bit palette for this composite image.6) Save this palette and use it as file 9 in resreg.resI haven't got time to try this tonight. The hard work is to take screenshots of models, isolate them from terrain graphics and combine it all into a "total models image".best regards,Hans Petter

Well, I just tried what I suggested in my previous post. The new palette still leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the buildings are OK but my trees have turned gray. Unless Ansgar knows a better way to go about this we'll have to accept the previous autumn palette. All we want is to redefine bright green hues to yellowish ones.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/45832.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/45833.jpgHans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Those trees look like they've been hit by some sort of mold!I think this palette work is starting to mature nicely, and I like the idea of seasonal palettes, as an approximate way to render the seasons. Buit to be useful, there would nee to be a way of switching automatically (or at least quickly) between seasons. I wouldn't like to use resviewer every time I wanted to try a different season! Given that hard disks have grown in size, could you make 4 versions of the RES file, then have a FU3 launch program that asks you which season, swaps files to set the correct palette, then starts the sim? There is probably even a config flag in flt3.cfg that could also be set so that the appropriate season was automatically set in the FU3 weather screen (for temperatures etc).RobD.

An automated configuration flag would be nice. However, this works too:Make folders named SEA_stock (or standard), SEA_fall (or autumn) and SEA_winter. Hopefully, SEA_spring may be added. Each folder contains its version of the resreg.res and one may easily switch between seasons before launching the sim.I'd like to upload the autumn and the winter versions as a proper library upload, possibly waiting for a spring version to get them all.Evidently, Glidernut will be credited for the winter wonderland but I'd like to look into convincing ways to modify the models palette.best regards,Hans Petter

Cold autumn. Beautiful ice on the trees. Well done.B.Adamski

All right, but maybe the frosted trees would be better for the winter season? There's an inherent problem to creating "winter trees" in that we can't make them shed their leaves. Sure, there are tree models without any leaves available but we can't modify the existing models simply by changing the palette. However, I just proved that we can make "frosted" trees. Hans Petter

I'm seeing major problems in adapting the model palette to the season. Until now I've mostly been checking out bush airports and vegetation and I recently found that there's a problem with major runways.I just tried Glidernut's winter palette with my gray trees and it looks fine, as long as I stay away from Seatac, the Boeing field etc.The screenshot shows what happens to the the Boeing field runway.If we resort to the default model palette we'll get green trees, even in the winter. Any suggestions?Hans Petter http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/47413.jpg