Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

FlightGear & X-Plane.

Guest twsimfan

I want to offer both Peter & Jimmi a major thanks for their thoughtful looks at these 2 simulators.My personal opinions.FlightGearInteresting that this comes so close on the extensive discussion of that sim we had in the chat just 2 days ago. I will continue to keep an eye on this one but my sim time is limited by work time. I think this one will have to mature some before I'll give it some of my precious sim time. Thanks again Peter... very good discussion! :)X-PlaneI always keep an eye on X-Plane. Jimmi those screenshots sure look a lot better than what I had (have but not installed) in 5.3 or 5.4... what ever version I was up to. I guess I hold a bit of a grudge because I got it on sale for $130.00 and shortly thereafter it could be had off the shelf for twenty bucks. My main problem with X-Plane was the constaint huge downloads... and I didn't have broadband in those days. They do seem to have come a long way... but those mesh restrictions you talk about are a major problem for me. I will continue to watch their progress. Thanks again! :)FS04This one is at the moment my default flight sim. I know all about it's limitations... but I think MS is gradually addressing most of those. Frankly I really didn't like FS2K much at all... too awkward. FS02 wasn't much better. But FS04 is in my tiny mind a major improvement. I'm finding it very imersive... something I haven't been able to say about a version of FS since about FS5.1. I know that many here in this forum will not agree with me... but then that is why I made clear this was my persional opinion.FU3Still gets 30 to 40 percent of my flying time. It always will have a warm place in my heart and on my hard drive. For a true feeling of flight... especially VFR flight... it still can't be beat!

Hi Tom,Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know you guys already had an in-depth discussion on FG in the chat. Apparently, more people are keeping an eye on it than there seemed to be. :-)Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

Guest twsimfan

Peter,Hmmm... RSDG huh? I thought those initials sounded familiar. Check out one of my regular stops in my pursuit of the perfect racing sim:http://www.rsdg.net/Thanks again for that great writeup!

Haha. What a naming coincidence. Haven't seen that racing sim before. Thanks for the link! The last one I've tried is LFS. But, alas, I don't want to veer to far off topic. :-lolYou're quite welcome on the writeup. I'm going to investigate FGFS paint textures for aircraft and panels. See if I can make a prettier plane with an existing model. Hopefully, the textures are applied in a painter-friendly manner. ;-)Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

Guest twsimfan

Peter,I hope you will show us some screenshots of your handywork. :)

FG uses SGI-format bitmap files for textures. Paintshop Pro and The GIMP both support read/write of that format so changing textures is pretty easy. Unfortunately, a lot of the planes use small skin textures and I don't know if you can just substitute higher res ones without having to rework the model.I took a short flight around KSJC and the instruments in FG are so smooth! You should try it. Ignore the stuff going on outside and just watch the instruments. They run at your current frame rate so there's no jumping. It all fluid. The little plane in the turn coordinator tilts smoothly so you can tell how fast you're turning; instead of simply pegging between zero and two minutes.Anyway. Simple pleasures.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)