Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

The next sim

Guest R_Driscoll

Of course you are all correct that the time is past for FU3, although I will certainly keep it for my private use over the next few years at least. I won't be moving onto any other sims for a while - life is busy enough, and a quick fly through the familiar landscapes is all I want for relaxation. I have enjoyed making models for FU3 - both for the fun of making them and for enhancing the sim.With all this talk about the next sim, is there still interest in further development of Seattle, Switzerland, UK or SanFran regions? There must be some interest - there were 50 or so downloads for all the recent stuff.RobD.

Guest Quaxo

Robert,I can't speak for others, bot for me there DEFINITELY is intrest in developments for FU3.And please, don't stop making models/airports/addons! :)Cristian

Guest qvdg

"With all this talk about the next sim, is there still interest in further development of Seattle, Switzerland, UK or SanFran regions? There must be some interest - there were 50 or so downloads for all the recent stuff."You bet there is - keep them coming or you will never see your passport again ! FU3 should have disappeared many years ago but in my opinion we have still some way to go before it becomes obsolete. This is not to say that we should not look around at what else is going on and eventually particpate. However, as a humble VFR pilot nothing, at the moment beats FU3. My summer pilgrimage to the UK prepared and flown using UK south scenery before actually really taking off has convinced me even more. This is reinforced by the exceptionally high quality of the recent scenery and aircraft developments. By the way I thought I heard something about Denmark scenery or is this just a rumour ? Cheers,QvdG

Development for FU3 should absolutely continue--without a doubt. A replacement will not arrive overnight so there's no reason to stop making FU3 better and better.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest Motormouse

And hopefully , by then I'll have a hd big enough to take UK region, Switzerland and all of Rob's and Jon's models :-lol:-wavePete

Guest jonpoint

I ain't about to stop now, folks ;)See the library over the next 24 hours!:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Well to be honest, there are now three things I love about FU3:1) the sim (what a surprise!)2) making things for the sim3) the community and friendship.And just possibly these are in reverse order! OK, I too would like to keep flying this vintage a bit longer!RobD

Guest ChrisD

After having incooperated jonpoint's 'visibility improvement' there is no other flight-sim that comes even close to FU3's ground-textures. As I fly VFR Only, I will stick to FU3 as long as possible.I also own FS2004 and UK-VFR Photographic Scenery, but the display quality is far inferiour to FU3. Second, FU3 has a much more sensible way of loading ground-textures. FS9 deteiorates the groundtiles when You are just a few km's away chopping f.eks. a Motorway into pieces. Any airspeed exceeding 50 knots, and the FS-engine is not able to keep the groundtextures updated.If there is interest, I will post a screenshot to show what I mean.ChrisD

Chris,What does Jon's "visibility improvement" do to the ground textures ? Does it make them sharper at greater range ? If so, then that is something that I should be implementing :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

ChrisLow asked:What does Jon's "visibility improvement" do to the ground textures ? Does it make them sharper at greater range ? If so, then that is something that I should be implementing :-)To me it seems that FU3 extends the range within which the best resolution GroundTiles is used. So for me the ground looks sharper further away than it used to.However, You may notice a drop in frame-rate, if You use a low end PC because the amount of data is much larger.If You have the power to spare, it is definately worth it :-)ChrisD

You let me worry about the framerate. If the textures are sharpened at distance, then I will definitely be using this technique :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,if you look in detail to the shot

Ansgar,The mountains are pregnant ?!!! :-eek Jon's little modification must be more impressive than I had thought :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

"With all this talk about the next sim, is there still interest in further development of Seattle, Switzerland, UK or SanFran regions"I would really like to see more improvements, especially to the UK and Switzerland regions. I haven't looked at the Switzerland region for a while, but last time I did, the mipmaps were ugly and pixelated and there was no elevation data, everything was just flat. It's an interesting region with some beautiful scenery and some really nice (and sometimes challenging) airports.The UK region is already very big and the basic stuff is finished, so you can do some basic flying over it and land at several airports. I would really like to see better ATC/AI traffic and more airports for that region. Eventually, I would like to see some more coverage, with some highlands and mountains included. There isn't much I can do here. I did work a little with the soundfiles to try to cut'n paste existing sounds to create new airport names, but the result wasn't that good.I think the Sanfran and Seattle regions don't need any more work. We've been flying over them for 4 and 6 years, improving them all the time so there isn't much more that can be done.For me, it's not really talking about the "next" sim. I don't plan to throw FU3 away just because FS2004 or X-Plane 7. I did run FU3 AND FS2002 for the past two years, and I intend to run FU3 alongside X-Plane 7 and FS2004 (and possibly Flight Gear) as well. All the sims have their advantages and disadvantages.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP