Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

FU3 still going strong!

Guest jonpoint

Dear All,I didn't expect the L-13 to be a 'mainstream' sim add-on as I didn't know how many of 'us' were into gliding! 103 downloads in the first 24 hours tells me that there is still a lot of interest :-eekNow that we have a reasonable glider in our sim, maybe a few others will put FU3 back on their HD?OK, back to the T6, F4U and DHC6 :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

....and ASW ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Hi Jon,Thanks for this superb glider, I am just downloading it :-)Are you working on a Corsair ? - real ?I am currently faiting with texture and concave meshes problem on this static model. Works in Modelviewer but is crashing FLED :-(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48356.jpg :-wave agtim

Guest Dann

Jon,If you need tweaks on the Corsair flight model, I know a guy who owns one.Dan

Guest jonpoint

Yes, Folks!A Corsair is in the offing. It's VERY early days yet - there's a DHC6 and a T6 in front of it. To be honest, my intention was to do the T6 then 'piggyback' the F4U after that. It can use the T6 model as a base to get the 3D model right, then we just have to play with the flight model. All axles and parts will share the same names.I was serious about getting others involved in this. I accept that 3D modelling may be a bit steep for some but the rest should be easy enough. As usual, I'll state here that all required software is available FREE!Andre,Send me the .an8 file and I'll look at it. I'm 'in' Anim8or a lot right now (with 3 projects on at the mo...) ;) Most FU3 problems (that don't appear in Modelview/Resviewer) actually relate to naming problems. Avoid the number 10! You see, in Hex, it's '0a', whilst '10' is actually '16'. Of course, you knew that but she can be a finnicky piece of code sometimes! RobD thought one couldn't have more than 9 textures until I pointed this out. Truth is, texture #10 MUST appear in the efile's UVW mapping as #0a but in the materials list as '10'. This gets worse when doing axles. For example, axles number in plain decimal e.g. '@s10fu0909' IS actually axle 10 in the efile (not 16...) but must be referenced in the axle file as '0a'.Meanwhile Dan, if you can assemble some specs, drawings, photos etc (the more, the better), we'll get under way. Actually knowing someone with one may allow us to get lots of square shots, inside and outside, as well as some good sounds. My 'meal ticket' with the DHC6 just ran out because the owner sold it :-( So now it's search time again :-roll Also, you could start playing with the P51 flight model if you'd like (it will save me a lot of time). Just start by changing the salient dimensions (wings, tail, gear etc) but ignore contact points (these MUST wait for the 3D model as they are affected by the model offset, if any). To avoid problems with crashing, just delete ALL the contact points first ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Thanks, Pete!You have actually flown/flown in one of these, haven't you? If only I could download the sounds from your head...This'll be interesting. I'm making it so you can fly with the canopy open as well! In fact, the canopy has been the hardest part yet but it's 95% done now. I'll post some previews when I get some textures on it ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Motormouse

>Thanks, Pete!>>You have actually flown/flown in one of these, haven't you? If>only I could download the sounds from your head...At risk of sounding 'bigheaded' it was a blast!!!and the noise...wonderful....For sounds, there are several MSFS sound sets available for the T6and DH Beaver (its' the same engine :-) ).There was no audible sounds from gear or flaps,at least, one couldn't hear them from cockpit, engine/prop is too loud, and quite a lot of ambient air noise from the propwash over the canopy, look at the pic you'll see why :-lol , thats' me, front seat, taken from a camera mounted on the wing.I think this outfit, is the only one that allows the 'punter' to fly front seat,regardless of previous air/flying time.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48592.jpgLike the DHC1 Chipmunk,(I've flown one of them too) its' another plane that you 'fly' with just your thumb and forefinger gripping the 'stick',once trimmed out, the controls are easy to handle, and it goes where you put it, but pull too hard and it says 'watch it mister,I'm about to stop flying' :-lolFlying 'straight and level' it has a very slight 'nose down' attitude, which kinda feels weird at first, I found it easier to level the wings with the horizon first,(the attitude indicator was 'caged', or locked, for the whole flight) then ease the stick back/forward watching the vsi, once I'd got the 'picture' of the horizon through the windshield settled it became easier to return to s&l each time.:-wavePete

Hi Jon,Thanks for the hints. Now I have the reason of the FLED crash :-)It is the SIZE of the model - as soon larger than 148KB FLED will crash to desktop when you select the object for placement.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48659.jpgMy model was just too large. Eliminating the texture of the propeller was enough to bring the size down to 146KB. Texturing needs a lot of space in the .bin file !Now the model is uploaded. I will make a smaller version later or never :-). The model is rotated by 90deg so importing me1090.bin into file 66 and 67 of a P51.res file result in a poor flyable plane http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48658.jpg :-wave agtim

Guest Robert_S

I'll post some previews when I get some textures on it ;)Methinks I should get this CD off to Jon. :-)I'll get it to the Post Office as soon as I can, Jon![table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest jonpoint

Andre,Wow! Must have a lot of polys! I have used my Dash8 as a FLED model and it worked OK (1900+ polys). The other thing is, re-using the same textures does not always lead to a smaller file. The tradeoff depends upon model complexity but I have played with some older models and almost halved their binfile size by simplifying the UVW mapping and using a lot of 'vitual' (i.e. RGB) colours, instead of mipfiles.As for the angle, yeah, it's something I do FIRST now... Just 'drag select' everything, hit edit-rotate Y 90 degrees until it's right. The other thing is to model it 'level', unless you want it permanently parked ;) The way to do this is, model it level as I've said and, when porting to BSP (for a parked model), use the switch <-rzxx> where the xx is the angle. I think I used -16 degrees for the parked GeeBee. This preserves your 3DS model in a form that's easier to texture (trying to texture parked planes requires texture rotation which can be difficult on small objects).Maybe when the AT6 and F4U are done we can also port the BF109 to the P51 base? As a kid I always liked the sharp lines of the BF109 - sorta halfway between a P51 and a Spit. :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,The Idea with just one mip map was to minimize open file activity during flight as this is a slow process. I was never really happy with the rgb colors in models as they are limitted and rgb / bgr is toggling between regions or depending on used modelmip.tagcurrently I continue with static models ( B17 )later I will build flyable models also.In the next texturing I will try your hint with the rotation in bsp.and use a simple texturing map. :-wave agtim