Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

NOTAM for all users of my Seattle 2004 and Sanfran 2004 packs

I would like to point out that all of the new models at various airfields in my Seattle 2004 and SanFran 2004 packs were NOT designed by me. They were kindly provided by two forum members who are now expert model builders in FU3, so I would like to thank both of them for their invaluable contributions.THANK YOU JON POINT :-wave THANK YOU ROBERT DRISCOLL :-waveYour efforts are greatly appreciated, and have helped to transform my small airfields into more believable and interesting locations.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

No worries, Chris ;)At least I won't get hassled for 'using your models and claiming them as mine' any more :-lolThe irony here is that the person concerned thought they'd 'busted' me for stealing YOUR fuel tanks! They went on to say how I was angry at you releasing the Shell, Philips and BP versions of my old tank, so I'd claimed them as mine; "Preying on the good intentions of a talented freeware creator, Chris Low"... Sheesh! Did they email you too? Probably too embarrassed ;)It takes all kinds. At least this person is too shy to register and post here, even if they do read the forums and download stuff. Reminds me of when some people thought I'd stolen Ansgar's wonderful DC3 (I always refer to it that way...) with my V1.2 upgrade. When I did the GeeBee, I was informed that they'd find who I stole it from and let them know. Probably the same person?Well, I'm still waiting - whilst you're at it, better chase down the originators of the Dash8 and L-13 too ;)PS If you are registered here, a simple apology might fix things somewhat. You have my email address, even though yours is different every time...PPS Your initials wouldn't be RT, would they?Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

"Preying on the good intentions of a talented freeware creator..." :-lolI'm trying to stop laughing at the above comment. It makes me feel dangerously big headed, so I'd better get back to the real world, REAL quick ;-)This person has not e-mailed me regarding what they consider to be a case of "stolen property", but I really wish that they would. It could be cleared up in seconds. Mind you, my brother does work for BP.....maybe I should inform him that a rogue flightsim model builder is using the name and logo without permission ? :-lol :-lol :-lolAs for the originator of the Dash 8, I believe that De Havilland were involved somewhere along the line......Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

We'll have to get this de Havilland guy to contribute a bit more (lazy sod). Obviously he's talented, if he made the original for Jon's Dash model, but what else has he done? I don't see a single de Havilland bit of concrete around. Hardly what you would call a successful scenery modeller if all he does is make planes and not concrete. While we're on the topic, how about this guy Boeing. What's he done? Name a single tree made by him. Hah! See? (over-rated amateur). And big boots Mr Cessna! What a bumbling beginner! I'd like to see a single decent taxiway labelled "made by Fred Cessna".More seriously, I have used other people's models extensively in all of my packages. If the model is there, and suits my purposes, I will use it, as I expect that people make the models to be used and share. So for example, I have seen hangars and terminals that I made for Heathrow turning up all over the countryside, and that's what I expect and enjoy. And I have pinched Andy's, Jon's, Bazza's, Hans Petter's, agtim's and Ansgar's models quite freely (but tried to acknowledge them!). But if we are being extra-careful about credit (and I don't even know for sure which models were made by Captn Bazza and which by other people), if anyone doesn't want me to use their models in my packages, let me know!But the planes are more important. I know from my own experience that making a simple scenery model may take me several evenings, and some of the London models took weeks. How much more work must have gone into the GB's, Dash 8's, DC3's, 747's etc - the flyable planes? These represent thousands of hours of someone's time, and to mis-attribute them is the worst offence I can think of (apart from trying to land the jumbo at Clare's Valley - that's a bit worse). I think Chris was very careful in his article to provide a column with correct acknowledgement of each person's work, and its disappointing that someone has misunderstood Jon's efforts. I know the struggles he went through to bring the GB to market.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Funny huh?I did a spreadsheet on the L-13, up until I had the HD crash. I decided to reload it and update it but had forgotten a lot of stuff. Suffice to say, APART from creating an accurate, believable 3D model (8 versions over about 2 weeks), building the L-13 required the creation of:24 voice wave files17 texture bitmaps (over 3 versions to optimise the palette - and 3 palettes)8 more 3D crash models1 cockpit, complete with it's own set of 18 bitmaps!A total of 31 flight model iterations (also, add the flying time needed to test each change)A few hex files for callsign, aircraft name and specs, axles etc.Thats 119 files so far, not including the 3 versions of each texture bitmap - say 153 files.Just files? No. For example, each texture must be tried and adjusted - one could spend 2-3 hours just getting the tail right!When I added up my time, it was hard to understand how I got any sleep at all! This'll freak you out - 240-250 hours, just to get to beta stage. I have no idea how long I spent rebuilding it from scratch after the crash - probably another 60-70 hours as I only had to redo the crash models and play with the flight model.And this one was easy! The Dash8 took easily twice as long...As for originality, like Rob I may sometimes 'borrow' a file to see how it's done but I ALWAYS re-create my own, even if I use the original as a template. My experience with downloaded models (aircraft at least) is that the GeeBee, Dash8 and L-13 (which are all available as MSFS planes for free download) were inaccurate. Horribly so. When I put the GeeBee model against the 3-views I got from the 'only' R2 owner, it was chalk and cheese. Same went for the Dash8 although the L-13 was better. Suffice to say, I have always had to go back and re-create the models anyway as the mdl>3ds conversion welds all the objects together, requiring one to create new moving surfaces anyway.But, it's all worth it ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Rob, I think your on the right track about this de Havilland (DH) chappie because I heard he was also involved in some Tiger Moth work which is in progress. Obviously a bit shy otherwise he would have signed up on the forum by nowCheers, QvdG

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, its the quiet guys you have to watch out for.Hey Quentin, is that you? POLICE! POLICE! - he's got my passport!!!! Darn, where'd he go ... Ah, back on topic. We've never had such a sustained inventive phase as this present small group. Wish it could've happened a year earlier, but anyway, its been great to get all these FU3 enhancements and at such a rate! All of you have done a great job and given many hours, and as one of the main beneficiaries, I am just gobsmacked (a term I invented myself, and have taken out literary copyright on, and is not to be used in any other package without my express written permission in triplicate, counter-signed in the presence of seventeen witnesses by the governor of California; not to be used for profit, or in any other simxxxxx) oh bother I just remembered I got it from glidernut. Beaten again,RobD.