Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Ranger Creek

Well, I have just made my first ever approach and landing at the updated Ranger Creek airfield in my Seattle 2004 pack.....at 6 frames per second :-eekI really must get a new PC :-)To be honest, I'm not really sure whether I like the updated version. Hans suggested that the tall trees just beyond the runway 33 threshold should be removed....until he realised that there really are trees this close to the runway. Mind you, I have only just discovered that the landing AI Renegades fly through these trees :-eekMaybe it's just the low framerate that is the reason for my uncertainty. What does everyone else think ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I have decided to remove the AI Renegade at Ranger Creek. I have also added a turning zone near the runway 33 threshold, and removed several trees in this area. The AI planes around here just fly through too many mountains for my liking, so I decided to get rid of them. Also, I will now be able to land on runway 15, and take off using runway 33....without worrying about whether I am going to slam into any other planes ;-)I have also removed the AI Renegade at Swanson, together with a single tree just short of the runway 16 threshold. The AI planes were flying through this, which is clearly unacceptable :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Three screenshots of my revised version of Ranger Creek. I deleted all of the tractor tyres, and added a new taxiway. Since I have removed the AI planes, I will probably remove the turning zone. This was added to move clear of the runway when any AI planes were operating.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hans,Check your e-mail :-)I have removed the turning zone near the runway 33 threshold at Ranger Creek.Chris Low.PS. Where has everyone gone ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Your latest Ranger Creek is fine. Actually, it's very similar to the one I had, after having removed some trees :-) The tires / tyres were fine but lines may be more realistic. Further, without solid models blocking the way the chances of surviving a runway overrun have improved.I just landed a Cessna and it looked a bit "exciting" for some seconds. The open gate seems awfully narrow on final but it IS wider than the runway. Well, this is one runway that we really have to hit dead center :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I didn't go anywhere - at all. No gliding (crap weather), no beach (crap weather), no cycling (crap weather) BUT....I DID manage to finish the Twin Otter 3DS model, complete with:* Tranparent cabin windows (as well as the now obligatory cockpit glass).* Flap-coupled ailerons* A wire aerial* Discharge wires on trailing edges of the wings and tailplane* 18 bimapped textures as well as 7 RGBs.... a total of (Ansgar's gonna love this) 1994 polygons :-eekNot only that, but I got it into a resfile, WITH sounds (engine) and a flight model (rough only but it sits on the ground and flies kinda OK)!Of course, this was because of . Amazing what that can do :-wavePS Thanx for the packages you sent and yes, I would love the Ranger Creek update ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,You should have the updated Ranger Creek in the zip file that I sent, but I cannot remember if I sent you a copy of my upgraded Sequim Valley.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I'll check. Yes, I did get Ranger Ck!FYI, here's a page on it with some useful info ;)http://www.airnav.com/airport/21W:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Good link Jon! Just looking thru the navaids, I live by the Paine Everett VOR and the McChord VOR - they're about all you need for getting thru the mountains safely. The Dondo NDB is useful too, but I don't use it for lining up approaches, just for coarse navigation back to the vicinity of the big ports. I guess I'm not a stickler for the approach charts - once I've navigated to close visual (about 5 miles) I just aim in about the right direction, merge with the traffic pattern, then plonk her down. But Ranger Ck, needs a bit more care - I try to line up for a western approach, fly low and curving in over the bit of a ridge near the approach, then fly by the seat of my pants, dropping sharply near the end to prevent bounce.I used to enjoy ATP (Airline Transport Pilot), which had a more developed ATC and encouraged you to fly the heavies by the rule book. I think FU4, had it been written, might have added a lot of this sort of thing. I flew all of the schedules faithfully until one time after a perfect flight, I put it down on the runway to get told "splash". I stopped flying it after that! Oh well. Now I'm getting lazy.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,I've 'paged-up' from WA21 many times on final! In saying that, I have landed (sucessfully...) nearly everything but the 747 there. Taking off is a different matter but still doable in either direction (northwest is difficult with the DC3). My favourite 'big' plane for Ranger is the B350 although soon we'll have a DHC6 which should fit the bill well for the 'low and slow' stuff ;):-waveJon Point*************************

Jon,Do you mean 21W ?That approach to runway 33 at Ranger Creek is a bit of a b******, particularly when you are hitting 6 fps :-eekNow, with respect to "navigation". I.....er.....slap a ruler against the monitor, and deduce the direct heading between my starting point and the destination airport. Surprising, isn't it ? I bet you didn't expect that type of "rough and ready" navigation from a virtual pilot who "flies by the book" :-lolThe good part about flight simulation is that you can jump out of your plane as it's flying, and have a look for the small airfield that you cannot see from the cockpit. As you can imagine, I'm not one of those pilots who likes to fly over the destination airfield before attempting to land. I prefer the more direct approach ;-)Of course, I follow proper procedures at tower controlled airports (following ATC instructions in FU3 is half the fun), although I frequently overlook the "base leg report" at UNICOM airfields. I generally just make one wide, 180 degree turn from "downwind" to "final". They never seem to get upset :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,Yes, you're correct - I was 'landing at another strip' ('confused', in non-aviation terms).6fps? My goodness, Chris - one needs good weather for a Ranger approach, not only for visibility but also framerates. I populated my entire valley with trees according to a photo and encountered framerates similar to yours :-( I have since removed all but the trees at the top and bottom.As for navigation, it's each to their own I guess. I tend to set a heading, check the map screen to find the nearest strip and see if I'm on line, then readjust as necessary. This comes from doing lots of test flights and constantly needing to check landing registrations! Whilst checking for taxi lines and logbook entries I have flown from Boeing Field to Seatac about 5,000 times :-lolAs for having a look, I find that pausing the game, hitting F5 and wandering around like an astronaut on a spacewalk allows me to find my destination pretty easily :-lol At night I have also been known to advance the time of day to find the strip ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Horror! Seems like I'm not the only one flying it for fun. And for the same reasons - testing new bits etc. Its hard to find time to set up a good flight-plana and stick to it.But that's partly why gliding has been so great in FU3 - no rules, no limits, no ATC!!! Especially with Steffen's trick of being able to save mid-flight then restart FU3 flying at the same point. There must be a rule like for sailing - give way to gliders! Anyway, there should be.Still, as soon as I can finish off lootin' and get the new database properly delivered, I must go for a full proper GA flight. SkyHarbour to Eastern Ck maybe. Or Forest Falls to Clare Valley. Or something ...RobD.