Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChristopherT

New to FU2!

Guest ChristopherT

Hi guys! I'm a long time FS simmer, FS2 ,3 ,4 ,5 , 98, etc. so I'm on a good footing. Someone gave me a complete copy of Flight Unlimited 2 in the box, and I've finally got enough room on the hard drive to give it a spin. I'm just curious for people's impressionsoverall. It certainly looks like, even limited to the SF bay area, there's still a lot to see. I'm also a Pro-Pilot 99 user, so I'mnot totally crippled by only having used Microsoft Simulators! :) Thanks! Christopher

Guest jonpoint

Christopher,I never used FU2 before I had FU3 but I had it installed alone on a separate PC for a while. You are correct that there is a lot to see but I am not sure exactly what was there 'before' FU3 came along.I suggest that, if you can obtain a copy of FU3 and redo the install, there is another world to explore. I just couldn't imagine FU3 without Seattle! Also, the ability to use all the latest add-ons is too good to miss. Not that I had anything to do with them... ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest ChristopherT

>Christopher,>>I never used FU2 before I had FU3 but I had it installed alone>on a separate PC for a while. You are correct that there is a>lot to see but I am not sure exactly what was there 'before'>FU3 came along.>Not that I had anything to do with them... ;) Well, I've been taking a look at it tonite and I've alreadyfigured out that it's NOT FS98 (controlswise) and people don'tlike you flying through thier airspace (SFO) without sayinghello! :D It took me a while to figure out the COM system andI think he did everthing short of call in a squadron of F-16s on me! (Press the "Spacebar", Grasshopper! Quickly!) :-eek I forgot what it feels like to be a student. :) PP99 is a lotlike FS98 in it's controls, but FU2 is a lot bettergraphically. The ATC is a lot better than PP99, (I don'trecall if PP's ATC was active all the time or only when youfiled a plan.) The weather effects are to die for, Microsoftshould have looked harder, earlier for a similar approach torain. It could use even a cheap autopilot, I like to sightseetoo. Thanks! Christopher

Guest twsimfan

Christopher,Welcome aboard! :)I'm a long time simmer too... been around since A2-FS1.Like Jon was saying... you should try to find FU3. When installing FU3 you can install the FU2 scenery to it and have both Seattle & SF. In many ways I prefer the SF scenery... much larger for one thing. But I am originally from Washington State so the Seattle area... especially Tacoma (my original home) gets a lot of my time.Lets us know if there is any thing we can do to help.(Don't let it get around but I also spend a lot of time in FS04. ;-))

Guest ChristopherT

>Christopher,>both Seattle & SF. In many ways I prefer the SF scenery...>much larger for one thing. But I am originally from Washington>State so the Seattle area... especially Tacoma (my original>home) gets a lot of my time.>>Lets us know if there is any thing we can do to help.>>(Don't let it get around but I also spend a lot of time in>FS04. ;-)) I spent yesterday chasing down all the patches, so I'm currentto version 1.04, I have the adventure builder and the additionaladventures and the Fokker of course. :) I'll start looking for FU3after the holidays. I was wondering if the aircraft I saw fordownload on flightsim.com (Piper Seneca V) are addable to FU2 likethe Fokker? I'm not finding the region as small as I thought. There's a lotto see and do, and there's no shutting off the ATC so you're alwayslistening to the radios and keeping your eye out for traffic. I'mstill staring at the prop circles though. I have the feeling oneof the patches changed them but I'm not sure. :) There's nothing wrong with FS4. One day someone came onto mywebsite and actually complained that all we had on the site wereaircraft for FS98 and FS2000. So the next update I found somevintage Golden Wings aircraft for FS4 and uploaded them. Funny,he never complained again after that! :-lol Thanks! Christopher

Guest ChristopherT

>They come up from time to time so its good to keep your eyes>opened.>>Andy Thanks Andy! I'm still getting used to all this rain! When Iget in the mood for even more rain I'll look for FU3. :-lol Theweather is easily the best feature of FU2. I loaded up PP99 yesterdayand the results weren't as good. The overall feel of that simis darker and the clouds were blocky like FS98 with the dreaded"Cloud Thickness" option turned on. :) The transitions between viewsweren't clean either. FU2 is a lot better than PP99 to me. Christopher

Guest Motormouse

Hi Christopher,you'll need to get this filehttp://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=26928to help you with all those airfields :-)And ,if I remember correctly, there is a 'rudimentary' autopilotin some the planes, operated by keyboard strokes only,(same as FUIII incidentally),"a" = Autopilot_OnOff"alt_a" = Autopilot_HoldAltitude"alt_h" = Autopilot_HoldHeading"alt_m" = Autopilot_ToggleApr"alt_n" = Autopilot_ToggleNav"alt_s" = Autopilot_HoldAirspeed"alt_v" = Autopilot_HoldVerticalSpeed"alt_w" = Autopilot_LevelWingshope this helps,:-wavePete

Guest ChristopherT

>And ,if I remember correctly, there is a 'rudimentary'>autopilot>in some the planes, operated by keyboard strokes only,(same as>FUIII incidentally),>:-wave>Pete Thanks, Pete! I'm downloading the file now. The reason Iasked about the autopilot is that the Beaver seems to be theaircraft of choice for a lot of adventures, and when it's nightout, the screen is pitch black! (Yes, I've tried all the settingsin FU2, I think my monitor is the cause.) The Beaver IFR panellacks a NAV radio and HSI and only has a DG. :) I've yet tosee if FU2 has snow, that would be too much to hope for! Thanks! Christopher

FS4 was the last version of Microsoft's Flight Simulator that I enjoyed using. In my opinion, FS5 was a terrible successor, and sent the MSFS series on a journey that has taken it far away from the land of my home.I don't expect it to ever return.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Christopher,"I'm still getting used to all this rain!"Actually those raindrops in FU2 are a slight bit better than the ones in FU3. Three has dynamic (changing) weather and all kinds of extra touches but the raindrops and the lightning in FU2 are the best, the scariest, in any sim yet.Having said that I will point out that the planes in FU3 are about a thousand percent better than the ones in FU2. And with FU3 you can avail yourself of the hundreds of goodies our pals here on the forum have provided to enhance the sim.

Guest twsimfan

Chris (and I do mean Mr. Low),While I would agree that the last 2 or 3 versions of FS have been less than satisfying your assertions were bordering on the absurd before. With the advent of FS04 that border has evaporated. ;-)Look Chris... I know you mean well but until or unless you have tried FS04 you are just not in a position to make such a statement. :)Have a good day! :-sun1

Guest twsimfan

Christopher,"I was wondering if the aircraft I saw for download on flightsim.com (Piper Seneca V) are addable to FU2 like the Fokker?"I'm pretty certain that no aircraft beyond the Fokker were ever released by LG or anybody else for that matter. If/when you get FU3 you will be able to find LOTS of add-on planes in the AVSIM library... even some really old ones with my name on them. Seriously there is some great stuff in that library. My stuff was some of the very first add-ons... which only means that they are the most out of date these days."I'm not finding the region as small as I thought. There's a lotto see and do..."I have been exploring that regeon for... geeesh... what is it now? Five or six years I guess. I still haven't seen it all. It does get a little tight in FU3's BeechJet but it is best enjoyed IFR in the Skyhawk anyway. ;-)"One day someone came onto my website and..."How about a link to that website? I'd like to see it. :)

Guest ChristopherT

>Having said that I will point out that the planes in FU3 are>about a thousand percent better than the ones in FU2. And with>FU3 you can avail yourself of the hundreds of goodies our pals>here on the forum have provided to enhance the sim. :-lol !!! Christopher

Guest ChristopherT

>>Christopher,>I'm pretty certain that no aircraft beyond the Fokker were>ever released by LG or anybody else for that matter. They turned out to be Barons in Seneca V clothing! :) >I have been exploring that regeon for... geeesh... what is it>now? Five or six years I guess. I still haven't seen it all.>It does get a little tight in FU3's BeechJet but it is best>enjoyed IFR in the Skyhawk anyway. ;-) I flew Nut Tree to Rio Vista VFR yesterday to see how the crewat Travis would react to my transiting the military area, butwhen I called up Travis approach, they were as nice as Democrats! :-lol I did see an A-10 jet almost cream a Beaver while browsingwith the shift-p function. >How about a link to that website? I'd like to see it. :) www.flightsimnetwork.com/phoenixflightserv/index.html I hope the censor doesn't eat that link! :-) Christopher