Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Any hints for Win2K?

Guest jonpoint

I have been using FU3 in Win98SE ever since I got it. I have also recently setup another PC with a multi-boot setup so I can run Win2K and Linux.What bugs me is that I cannot get the same framerates in Win2K. I'm talking 10-12fps vs. 15-20fps :-( :-(Before you ask, the hardware is identical - down to the uP/HD/FX5200 and 512Meg RAM. I initially got somewhere by turning off some services I didn't need (like the bleedin' OS searching the internet every 5 minutes for updates...) but I still don't appear to have 100% processor time, even though my processes says '99% free' processor load.Most other software I use is unaffected (but then it's newer AND was written for Win2K compatibility) but this is weird. Even more weird is that, when originally loading it, I tried FU3 before I installed anything else and it seemed OK. Or so I thought...I remember some time ago, some people were asking similar questions but my memory isn't... what? memor.. Oh, never mind! Maybe it's the boot manager (I had to reinstall everything again because my entire HD was NTFS and had to be reformattedAny advice would be appreciated :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jon,I can't say anything about Win2K as I never tried it, but I think the bootmanager has nothing to do with your slowdowns. A bootmanager is a tiny program, which is loaded at startup - before any OS is loaded - and all it does is "aim" the computer in the right direction, making it boot the correct partition. After that, it becomes useless and is usually removed from memory until next reboot. This is why I think your problem resides elsewhere...(Probably silly suggestion: Are you using the same version of video drivers that you was using with Win98?)Cristian

I'm using Win2K but I have no means of making a direct comparison since I upped my hardware as I installed the new OS. Thus, this PC yields better frame rates but I don't know how it would perform if I were running Win98.Win2K has more "overhead" than Win98 but far less than WinXP. Quaxo mentioned drivers and that's a good point. I searched long and hard for the best drivers after I switched to Win2K.best regards,Hans Petter

I have tested WinXP and Win98 for fu3 on the same machine.WinXP was a lot slower and I assume that Win2k will also slow down the game as WinNT4 was slowing games also.You can try to stop some unused services on Win2k Win98 for games are best or then WinXP with new hardware, NVidia 3D card... :-wave agtim

Guest jonpoint

Drivers?This is a good point as I DO use different drivers! I seem to have little choice because Win2K/XP use a different driver to Win98. In Win98, I am using 45.23 and in Win2K I use 52.16. I have also downloaded the 52.16 driver for Win98 but I haven't loaded it yet. BTW, it's not the same, even though the release number is. Totally different download - the Win2K drivers are called 'Forceware', as opposed to the 'Detonator' drivers for '98/ME. I was originally using the drivers that came with the cards (41.xx) but updated both when I noticed the issue.Point is, should I bother trying 52.16 for '98 when it's faster already? I don't think I'll bother. It appears that my problem relates to disk access - although Win2K reports great performance, it stutters like a windscreen wiper on a dry screen! Meanwhile, all other (non-graphics heavy) application are fine. My Pspice modeller runs much smoother in Win2K and documents seem to open faster. The sound is smooth too...:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest olympic2

Hi all,Dont know about Win2K but I know XP is slower than 98Se on the same machine.I have two seperate drives (both Seagate 7200 - 40Gb) one with 98Se and one with XP and Xp is slower. If anyone has any thoughts it would be nice to know.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon,hello all the others here around,sorry that I can

Hello all.Using diferent OS is a matter of taste I think.I will just post my personal experience of this here in this forum.I have bought a lot of software/games since 1995-2003, and my computers are different today.Todays Games is always optimised for WIN.XP, that is natural using the latest platforms.That said, I want to use all my software (old and the new), and I have noticed that win.98SE is THE PERFECT OS for all of this.I have a complete install of FU3 and other older software on both IBM APTIVA Win98-SE,-VOODOO 5 videocard (my old mashine).and on a new mashine IBM Netvista XP-pro.(RADEON-9600-upgraded).A short review of this is That FS-MS2004 is running perfect in win.XPbut FU3 not that good as expected. I can figure that also for Win.2000it will have "bottleneckles" all the way.When using The flight unlimited series and other older "racing sims"I always use my old mashine.The graphicks and smooth running is always better using WIN.98. That means no stuttering/reloading etc.At my work office I always use Win.2000,- It is perfect for the internet and network-connections, but for my private use for gaming performanse, nothing can come close to my Win.98-SE OS.Best regards.Lars Peter.Win.98

Guest jonpoint

Dear All,Thanks for the replies. Together with what others have said, I'm sticking to 98SE for FU3 at least. It's only a few fps but, at 15fps, I need all I can get! Yes, I can get higher but not with EVERYTHING just how I like it ;) S'funny, this 'perfection' stuff...I wonder if LGS realised that one would require a 3gHz PC to actually get 100% performance? No PC available to them (in 1998) could have done it. Probably developed on an SGI Indigo II running X-windows - that's how we did sims then :-lol:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Hi Jon,I run Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Linux all on the same machine. 98SE for most games, 2000 for Windows development, and Linux for everything else.Besides being able to run lots of games, you know what else makes Win98 good? It tends to be less susceptible to Windows worms and viruses. Modern worms and viruses exploit holes that exist in Windows NT-based OSes (i.e. NT, 2000, XP).Sticking with the minority does have its advantages (Linux, MacOS, old versions of Windows, Flight Unlimited :-)).Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table