Sign in to follow this  
Guest olympic2

Seattle 2004 - F3 key

Guest olympic2

Today I installed the Seattle 2004 update and like what I have seen of it so far - nice one Chris.However I have run across a minor glitch which may cause me to have to remove and reinstall FU3 from scratch.Prior to loading the Seattle 2004 update all "F" keys worked as normnal but now the "F3" key shuts down FU3 completely and returns you back to the desktop. I have since removed the Seattle 2004 update but am still stuck without the "F3" option.I also have the Swiss files in a seperate copy of FU3 on the same hard drive and the F3 key in that works normally. It appears that something has happened to the working of that key when I installed the Seattle 2004 update.Any thoughts anyone?

Guest juvat2

Hi,Thats odd. Here's the way to check your key binds.While in a flight, pause the sim. Go into your command console (shift + ). Request a dump of your key binds.Type "dump_hotkeys hotkeys.txt"(no quotes).This creates a file of your bound keys to include joystick. It will be in your Flight3 root directory; it's name is hotkeys.txt.Take a look at it and see what your F3 key is bound to. The line for it should be this: key_f3 Camera_IFR_Cockpit 12And here's a quote from the Flt3 v2.0 readmep.wri:"To add new keybindings (or change the default ones) you can cut and paste lines from mykeys.txt into your joykeys.cfg file. For example, if you wanted to change the key which controls the landing gear from lower case 'g' to upper case 'G', you could find the line in mykeys.txt which says "key_g Toggle_Landing_Gear", copy it to joykeys.cfg and change it to "key_G Toggle_Landing_Gear".The whole file is a good read.Good luck.JimB.

Guest glidernut

olympic2chek and see if this hapens with any aircraft?It could be a particuler panl on a particuler aicraft that is the problem!I carnt see how Chirs low,s packages can do this.glidernut.

Guest olympic2

Hi folks,Thanks for those words of advice.JimB - hotkeys.txt is as in the readme file - ie F3 key is allocated to the IFR View.Glidernut - You have put me on the right track - the renegade.res file is 5.23Mb. Checked on the CD and it should be 5.12Mb - replaced that file and all now works as it should. Unfortunately I prefer the renegade most of the time.:-) :-) againcheers

Guest jonpoint

Amazing what a trashed resfile can do :-eekOnce, I trashed my GeeBee resfile so the only view you ever got was the F1 view! Somehow, Resviewer had removed my cockpit textures :-(I had a similar issue with the L-13 - sometimes when doing major changes to a resfile, Resviewer leaves something out. I believe it may be more of a Windows 'delayed write' problem but my solution gets around it:* If you have enough space, create a new folder called 'copy of plnpile' and keep all your original versions here. You will always have 'a way home' if all else fails.* When working on resfiles, grab a copy to your desktop and work on THAT one. When copying it back to 'plnpile', you will be asked to confirm the overwrite. At this point, compare the file sizes. Unless you have just imported new, larger textures or longer soundfiles, the size should be almost identical. Big changes are a BIG warning. * Do this for EACH change.* When making changes to a resfile that involve more than one file, ALWAYS use a script. That way, if anything goes wrong, you know straight away. I find scripts to be more reliable for this. Background:Basically, when modifying the resfile, Resviewer 'unpacks' the resfile into resources, allowing them to be altered or replaced. It does this by creating a copy of the resfile ('temp.res'), then decompiling it before recompiling it back into a resfile. Finally, it copies the 'temp.res' file to the original resfile, replacing it. When you change any resource, it does this for each change. When you use a script, it does it once - after all the resources have been altered.The problem, I believe, lies in Window's habit of not writing immediately to disk, but after some delay. When making a lot of individual changes, it is possible for Windows to write the changes to the 'temp.res' file WHILST you have it open :-(Actually, this is only an educated stab but a number of people (better qualified than I) agree. Maybe, Win2K or XP are better for this - pity they suck like an F-14 engine intake when it comes to performance :-lol:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest olympic2

Just thinking back on this problem, I had in fact been trying to get a "passenger" into the Renegade - (getting tired of talking to myself while flying - haha) and have feeling this may have caused the problem. The install of Seattle 2004 was after I had been fooling around with the Cockpit Designer. Just have to be more careful next time.Cheers

I'm glad that you resolved the problem. I have been away for a few days (at my brother's house in Scotland), so I didn't have a chance to respond !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest olympic2

Thanks Chris,BTW what part of Scotland - my better half is from a little place called Crief - one of the Paterson clan

Livingston, which is a few miles west of Edinburgh. I have been to Crieff, though. In fact, I stayed in a chalet at the Crieff Hydro Hotel for a couple of weeks back in September 1988.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png