Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Any feedback on the Blanik L-13?

Guest jonpoint

Hi All ;)Now that 182 of you have downloaded (and presumably flown) the L-13, does anyone have any feedback on the plane, packages or models?I am slowly working through the ASW28 3D model, towards releasing it over Christmas. I am also doing a couple of other things too, like a DHC6, a T6 and an F4U. The DHC6 should also be ready around the same time as the ASW.I was also thinking of releasing the packages separately AND doing a full release of all my rural/bush models as I never uploaded them all. Maybe I'll wait until I've done Kapowsin (another 'light entertainment' subject I use for diversion ;) ).Any comments would be appreciated. Please post them here as my email address is no longer suitable :-(:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest olympic2

JonOne of my "past" hobbies was RC gliders and I can only say the Blanik is about as good as having a nice thermal job up under some good lift on a balmy summer afternoon. Trying to work out how to get myself into that back seat. Cant wait to get my hands on the ASW28.Cheers

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jon,I tried your glider, and liked it a lot. I haven't tried it extensively (you know, I have that "other" project which eats up all my spare time... :-) ) but the feeling is great! I made a flight from Goodwood to Bembridge "almost" without cheating (if only I could find the ignition key!!!)... Boy was it scary on the last few kilometers! :-)There is a slight "bug" I found though - if you look from the outside view, and look at the wing root where it attachs to the fuselage, if you look from the right angle you can see the "inside" of the wing; but instead of actually seeing the wing, you can see through. Basically, the lower part of the wing is transparent if looked from above... But it isn't so noticeable, and not ugly. It's also rather cool! :-)Cristian

Guest glidernut

Jon, >I am slowly working through the ASW28 3D model, towards releasing it over Christmas.ASW28 for Christmas! O, yes plees. If its only harf as good as the Blanik, that would be briliant.Im looking forward Christmas like a kid agen.glidernut.:-wave

Guest jonpoint

Half as good?I'd like to think I could make it a bit better ;) Initially, it will be the L-13 with different 3D and crash models. I will use the 'floaty' flight model I had with the L-13 to start with.As to the missing polygons inside the wing root - got them the wrong way around, didn't I? As you may understand, I had to texture them facing outward (to see what I was doing) but forgot to 'flip normals' afterwards. There IS a nice root texture there - but you'd have to climb inside the wing to see it :-eek It will be fixed shortly, along with the better cockpit views that I have finally resurrected ;)I am finding it more interesting to work on a few planes at once - if I get stuck, I just switch planes and keep working. This has also allowed me to try some different tricks on each, just to stretch my limits a bit! I just can't get the Twin Otter's door to open quite right. Shoulda seen the spectacle when I accidentally imported the T6 model into the DHC6 resfile... The first clue was a taildragger, half-buried in the ground with it's tail in the air. The second clue was the sound of a turboprop spinning-up :-lol** FU3 Modeller's tip #3457:When working with spoilers, they can only be attached to 'fixed' parts - they cannot be attached to other moving objects (like gear,flaps and ailerons can). Oh, and they MUST be sliding axles (@zxx) but you already knew that!** FU3 Modeller's tip #3458:When linking ailerons and flaps together, index the flap to the fuse, then the ailerons to the flap - otherwise, the flaps never operate :-(** FU3 Modeller's tip #3459: (I'm on a roll today...)When indexing anything, use the fuselage for preference (except for subaxles). Apart from avoiding duplication of indexes, it ensures that everything works smoothly, especially when you crash!!?! HUH? OK, the real reason is, when the plane breaks-up, all these axles go astray because, instead of having one root object with several subobjects, you now have lots of root/subobject pairs. This caused the L-13 to CTD on any crash. Only when I had removed all axles and renamed all subobjects did it behave OK. Recently, I altered all references back to the fuselage and made sure the crash subobjects kept the same names as the original aircraft. Voila! No CTD. Looks a bit weird when you move the stick and way over the other side of the paddock, the aileron moves on a broken piece of wing though...PS Thanks to all for the feedback - keep it coming!PPS Welcome back, John ;) Sorry to hear about your modem. I'm glad you have it sorted now. As Chris said the other day; 'where's everyone gone?' I'm trying to wrap your present but the wings keep on sticking out of the packaging...:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Hi JonYou asked for comments on the Blanik.Great to have a real glider in the hangar!Can't find much wrong with it, except perhaps my legs have no feet and look a bit square! But that's being picky. It flies beautifully and looks fabulous.Never flown a real Blanik - only wood or glass fibre jobs, so can't comment on how realistic it is, but it feels right (except for the launch, as you pointed out in your notes). I look forward to the ASW 28 and a 45:1 glide angle!The new scenery looks good, but I cannot enjoy it at the moment. It knocks my elderly Pentium II back to 1 or 2 frames per second. However, I like what I see - even the fire in the grate! Only problem I noticed was that on my computer some of the trees are floating in midair.Roll on Christmas when I hope to be getting a new computer.Many thanks for all your work.ChesPS I also need a new joy stick. Any recommendations?

Guest R_Driscoll

I love the Blanik - it would be my choice of glider at present. I loved the Stemme too, esp the fact that it had a motor (which for someone of my gliding skill is a positive!), but the Blanik IMHO is better. A lot of us are still here but not talking here much - as we are trying to get the UKS scenery area developed to the next level. That's been difficult and taken a lot of time but is now looking close.

Hi Jon,I had just a short fly with your BlaniK, looks very good.As you know my time for a flight is currently limited I use more time in building models... :-)by the way do you have a list of FU3 Modeller's tip #0001 to #3456 ? ;-) just to have when I decide to jump from static models to flyable one. :-wave agtim

Hello Jon.Sorry for not reporting back on the Blanik earlier.I have myself not mutch experience with this type, as I most of the time was using "Bergfalke" for this sport, and Blanik was sporadic only.The last time sitting into a Blanik, was trying to hold a camera stilland I did not got the correct feeling of flight.Glidernut and Steffen has a copy of this event.:-) I have tried your new glider for some fligts in the SEA area,and it feels like a real good aircraft.Also the total impression look of this model and panel is brilliant.A friend of mine pops in to my house from time to time, and he isa long time instructor with Blaniks and aerobatic training.Next time I see him around, I'll ask him to test this out!!Then you may get some expert report.Thank you.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest glidernut

Hi Lars Peter,Iv still got the CD and vidioe tape of your flight at Elverum airfield.I plaed them bothe agen to day just for fun.And I still do all my gliding useing the Glider Realism Challenge by Steffen Schiedek.The veryomiter sounds work just as wel with the Blanik as the stemme.or ASW28.This chalange also has the advantage of piking up where you left off.glidernut.:-wave

Guest Steffen

... and Steffen will be modifying the challenge in order to support the e-vario calculations (different glide ratios in the energy compensation) of Blanik and ASW28 correctly for the Gliding Challenge soon... :)Blue Skies, Steffen