Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smiley

Airplane: Cessna 140!

I haven't been around here much since last year, and I thought I'd let you guys know why.Some of you may remember me asking a little about C-150s as I was dreaming of getting a plane. My dad and I began serious searching about a year ago, at the time for a C-150, and we looked at 2. Then we got side-tracked by some 140s, and here is the one we eventually bought (about a month ago).N89864 is a 1946 Cessna 140 with metalized wings. It has an MX-300 navcom and an AT50 Mode C transponder. Best of all, it has a true O-200 (100 hp) engine. It replaced the original Continental-85 (85 hp), and makes it climb more like a 172 than a 150, which will be good for all the summer flying I'll be doing. The engine has about 600 hrs SMOH, and top work has been done recently. The airframe has only 2000 hrs. It was based at Blue Knob Valley in mid-PA (near Altoona-Blair County KAOO). A previous owner was from New Castle, PA. The airplane is now based at the McVille (P37) and Punxsutawney (N35) airports in western PA.Also, we intend to buy wheel pants to 'dress it up' a little, and to gain a few mph in cruise.About the worst thing about the plane is the lack of a vacuum system (no pump, no venturi), so there is no attitude or DG. That doesn't really matter, and I think it would be fun to get back to more of a grass roots type of flying.We paid $19,500, the nice thing about airplanes being that you can get most of that back when you go to sell it.As of right now, I only have 2 hours in it (insurance wants 10 with a CFI for the taildragger endorsement before I can fly myself), though I really enjoy the plane. The taildragging technique takes a little getting used to, but I think it's a lot of fun as well as a challenge.RayHere are a few pics (scanned photos) we took of the plane during our pre-purchse visits to Blue Knob:

It sure is nice to see an aircraft 56yrs old look in such good condition.My only other comment has to do with Blue Knob. I about killed myself trying to ski on Blue Knob. It was at night, man made ice crystals, and slippery as he-double hockey sticks.Hope you have many great flying hours, fly over Meadville, Linesville and Conneautville for me, where I was born.

Thanks, and by coincidence, we may be flying to Meadville this weekend. There is a fly-in there on Sunday. It'll be one of our first 'missions' in the airplane, after the fly-in/community day at Indiana County (IDI) on Saturday.

Well, it is a beauty. Just about like the Cessna 140 I got my private ticket in. That was in January, 1959. And just think: I bought a Cessna 152, brand new, for $ 10,995.00. Yes, it a while back. 1966. Happy flying in the great little bird.

Guest Smiley

I only have 1.1hrs in a C140, but it was fun to fly. The 150 series is more nimble and gives you more of a feeling of flying it and not riding along in it.Congratulations on your purchase :)

Watch the weather this weekend, from the weather maps, might be a bit bumpy in your area.