Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Seattle Scenery Megapack

With the possibility of a single scenery megapack for the Seattle region being developed in the near future, the entire FU3 file library will need to be "cleaned up". I have decided to start this process by removing my Seattle 2004 pack, and also the three Seattle geotiles.tag zip files. As I have stated in another thread, a list of all existing airfield and scenery packages will need to be created, and then the entire FU3 community can decide which of these are to be included in the final megapack. When this process has been completed, it would be a good idea to remove all of the separate packages from the file library (unless anyone here thinks that some or all of them should be retained).Any suggestions regarding this project would be welcome.Best Wishes,Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello Chris.Yes, I do have some important suggestions for all authours who has packages already uploaded.Don't rush your library cleaning too soon.It would be important to have access to all of them for some time to use bits and pieces for other new packages.The "setup" for many of those old and new packages is brilliant piece of work,and many of them only needs some new models or adjustments to make it more perfect.I would like to see a complete replace before starting cleaning the library too mutch.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Lars,OK, that sounds sensible. I agree that we do not want to dispose of existing packages until this has been agreed by everyone, particularly the original developers ! My suggestion to "clean up" the file library has more to do with my desire to keep things tidy than anything else. I also do this on my PC. Most people tend to leave unused software on their PC's, and this gradually builds up until their hard disks are cluttered with stuff (and the desktop is littered with icons). I remove anything that I have stopped using almost immediately, resulting in the current situation where I am only using 9Gb of my 40Gb hard disk....and there is only a single line of icons at the left edge of my desktop :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris.Yes,- You and me does the same thing-"cleaning up the HD".But not everyone is doing that.Many people install flightsims just for sporadic fun, and it can be too mutch fun for those users (and the HD).I have also planned cleaning up my UK-packages uploaded, but this will be activated when a new FU3_UK south solution is complete, and the sim is running stable for everyone.Someone posted a new area for Vancouver (not the first), and this region is already defined in the region.cfg.file. It seems to me that this would be more stable to do than UK-region.I have always hoped that someone could do just that with correct elevation and scenery.It is a very interesting area with a lot of eye candy involved.Let's hope that also this area one day could be released without fake-postings in this forum.Lars Peter.:-)

Lars,Yes, I agree that extended Washington State scenery would be nice, but I would prefer if the existing scenery area was extended to the WEST, so that we could have the entire Olympic Mountains in high resolution, Port Angeles International airport within the high resolution scenery area, and the Pacific coastline. Of course, I would also love to see an extended San Francisco scenery region...but that will probably never happen.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Hi Chris.I also would suggest you wait awhile before you remove your Mega Pack, if we have anought interest and help to rebuild this whole area, we are all going to need access to these older packages. I for one will download your Mega Pack to see how many others are compatible with it. We will need to get permission from some of the guys before we revamp there packages, upload them again, etc.I already have Frank Betts, "AKA" Kim's permission, I still have contact with Bjorn, Pete, Nija, and a few others so I could ask them.Let's hope we gain some more help for this team, After the Holidays it might liven up. Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest glidernut

Hi all, my 2 pece werth.Chris Low,I hope you are not considering remooving packages of other othersfrom the avsim file library ?Meny of thees others are not around nay more, so geting there permitionwould be dificalt if not imposibl.And eeven if you did get there permition, I would stil be aganst getingrid of them.I am thinking manly of Hennie how was the one how discuvered houw toget around the icon limit by striping the packages of there aiportfolders.He may not hav prodused any packages him-self, but he did enable usto hav all the packages avalable at the time from other others andfrom other web sights and striping sum of there irport contence got all 196 packages working together. Meny of thees packages are no longer avalabl anywhere els.inclooding a fuwe that where never uploded anywhere els, like sum of Allan_D,s and other divelopers work at the time.The best thing about hennie,s packages is that thy are all dun by diferantpeopl, and as a result eech place has a diferant look and feel about it.Iv got 186 packages in Seattle alone, but no one would like my setup as Iv got most of my icons at places that dont even exist in real fife.I put mor value on just one simpl pacgae where no one els has ever put any models, than a 100 packages that hav been re-dun for the umteethtime!!!!!!!But thats just me.The only thing that stops me from directing new-cumers to Henni,s packages as aposed to any of Chris Low,s mega packages is thatChris Low is hear and Hennie is not.I love standing on your tows Chris, what,s that, youv notest! ho!I also like to clean up and hav things tidey, espeshaly in fu3 pacgagesfolder. I prefer a gackage,s airport folder to be in the gackage it self.and not in the REGIONS airport folder.This makes it eesyer for me to choos which packages will hav an iconand which will not, as aposed to having that disision made for me.I also prefer eech package to be an individual packages, and not severalpackages put into one.Ho dear, Im steping on mor tows nouw, I forget hows.O, hang on, I was forgeting all of Chris Low,s trees in Sanfran,evey one shood get them. If I had to choos only one of the erly packages from Frank Bates web-sight.I think it would hav to be this one with all the small bildings by Sequim Vally airport (top left of Seattle).If you havent alredy got it then giv it a go.It dus not hav an icon or any AI trafic, so it should fit in just fine giving you no complications.Hear it is.glidernut.

Allan,I have already removed my Seattle 2004 pack from the file library. However, sending you a copy of this from my own backup disks would not be a problem, and it would also enable me to remove one or two packages that will be incompatible with a project like this (due to modifications of the Seattle geotiles.tag file).Let me know when you need this.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Glidernut,Fear not. I do not have the authority to remove packages developed by others, so this is only something that could be done with the full permission of the package authors, and also when everyone else in the FU3 community is also in full agreement.Don't worry about "standing on my toes". I have probably deserved this at times over the past two and a half years :-)With respect to "separate packages", I totally agree. However, this should not be a problem as far as airfields are concerned. I think that it would be best if these were kept as individual packages within the megapack itself. This would enable each user to "pick and choose" which airfields they would like to have installed.I know the Sequim Valley package that you are referring to. In fact, I used it in the early days of FU3....before I joined AVSIM Online.You know, this cooperation lark is starting to become addictive. I think that I'm going to enjoy this......Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Hi John, Thanks for your kind words about my packages. It also sounds like your enjoying my fruitcake receipe that I sent you. For the rest of the FU3 gang that would like to try it, here it is.FRUITCAKE RECIPE1 cup water1 cup sugar4 large eggs2 cups dried fruit1 teaspoon baking soda1 teaspoon salt1 cup brown sugarlemon juicenuts1 gallon whiskeySample the whiskey to check for quality.Take a large bowl.Check the whiskey again to be sure it is of the highest quality.Pour one level cup and drink.Repeat.Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup bettr in a large, fluffy bowl.Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again.Make sure the whiskey is still OK.Cry another tup. Turn off mixer.Break 2 legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.Mix on the turner.If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something, Who cares...Check the whiskey.Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something.Whatever you can find.Grease the oven.Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.Don't forget to beat off the turner.Throw the bowl out of the window.Check the whiskey again.Go to bed.Who the heck likes fruitcake anyway?Cris, If a few other scenery guys wish to do this, then you can send me your package folder.MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALLHave Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest juvat2

Good Morning All,A mega scenery pack. Is there enough info on it to approximate it's zipped size? As a "dial-upper", those kinds of things are important to me.Thanks,JimB.

Jim,Since we do not currently know which existing packages will be included in this megapack, and how many new packages will be developed....it is rather difficult to estimate the size of the final zip file at the present time :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,Ok, I'm "with-it" now. :)JimB.

Guest R_Driscoll

I think glidernut is onto something here. Can I suggest that we employ (at the usual astounding freeware pay rates) glidernut to come up with a configuration that is the ultimate FU3 mega package? He has always been fair, and understands more than most of us about existing packages and best ways of combining them. Just a suggestion, and it won't work unless he gets plenty of help from us all.If this is OK, I suggest too that we agree to help him, but we agree not to disagree with him! i.e. we accept his choices and do our best to support and promote the new mega-package.In this way, glidernut could possibly start with his icon-optimised version and add/subtract packages to get the best solution - it sound like he already has a very good solution!I would be happy to upgrade any packages selected, and have no problems with any of my packages being included or excluded. I must admit that I expect Chris' packages will still be the main ones used, since he has shown extraordinary skills in producing large numbers of consistent high density sceneries. Buit incorporation of just a few of the others, like the building modelling north of SEATAC, Bill's bluff, the famous Yelm package, the NE corner packages like Harvey Field, some gliding airfields etc - anyway I better stop there!Also is it possible to keep outer terrain? Losing that is like flying FS2004 with only megascenery packages and not the default.RobD.

Robert,I am happy to accept what the rest of the FU3 community wants to do.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png