Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dann

We Can't Call Ourselves Real Flight Simmers....

Guest Dann

We just don't measure up. We can say we do, we can think we do, but until we reach this level, well...I'm starting to save my pennies today!Of course, $50,000 is a lot of pennies...I'm sure the wife will understand, right?Won't she? :)Check this site out; be sure to take a look at some of the links, too. Truly impressive. Or is the word "obsessive?"Danhttp://www.737simguy.com

Guest twsimfan

I really had my heart set on something more like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/55570.jpgOf course I'll have to enlarge my basement some. ;-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/55571.jpgBut I love the interior! :)Of course there is one tiny problem... they go for about 12 million each! :-eekGuess I'll have to save my allowance. :-lolThe 50K one would be nice... but as long as I can afford neither I might as well dream big! :-vuur

Guest Motormouse

No problem Tom,Just hire it out at $400 per hour, you'll soon getthe 12 million back, 6 hrs a day would net $2400 a day,leaving out xmas day and thanksgiving (for you transatlantic types :-) ) , that would be $871,200 per year.According to my calculator you'd get it paid off (not counting interest charges) in 13 yrs:-lol:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

Pete,"No problem Tom"Yeah... right. ;-)Well I still figure to try my hand at a couple of those things in September... only $240 an hour thanks to AVSIM. (Only? :-eek) I'm having problems convincing my employer that I NEED those days off but if worst comes to worst I'll have to do it in the evenings and on Sunday.I still have that Discovery Wings Channel program about flight simulation recorded from last July. I have rewatched the part where they show the full motion level D simulators 2 or 3 times lately. I have to admit it kinda scares me a bit. I don't mind making a fool out of myself (do it often enough) but I would hate to get laughed out of the place. :-shy I just hope I get a tollerant instructor... one that is willing to tell me what to do and why. :)Of course if I am going to buy some of those hours I need to cut down on buying FS stuff... like the Lago GeoRender series and the add on planes like the Flight1/CaptainSim 727 I just bought. That will be hard since they have classic 707s and C-130s coming out soon. :-) (;-))I hope the new year is treating you well! :-sun1

Guest Motormouse

Hi Tom,Have fun in September, it'll be almost the best $240.00 you'll spend this year (I said almost!!)From my own full-motion sim experience, and incidentally this is backed up by fact,(simulator maint techies fly them better than pilots do, they treat them as PC games) treat it like a bigger PC sim, NOT a simulated plane, and you'll do ok.It'll take a little while for you to familiarise yourself where all the switches and levers are, most gauges you'll recognise easily from PC simming,the biggest change you'll notice is how spread out everything is compared to a 17" monitor.It only gets painful when you crash and the screen goes all red,or black,(so wear that seatbelt!) and that can also damage the 'sim', which is just one reason you'll have that instructor there.Another thing to bear in mind, is that cat D full motion sims can be used for type conversions without needing practice on the real plane, and all the sim flight logs are (usually)available to the regulatory bodies (FAA/JAA) and they don't like seeing too many crashes, more embarrassing for the poor pilotwho finds your 'crash' in the middle of his type rating sim log though!:-wavePetePs Wondering what you can do in an Hr? Try taking Ansgars' 747 for a few circuits at SEA,climb straight out to pattern height before turning x-wind, then downwind,base,finals, and see how long that takes to get around the pattern.